User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Good RPG games

MBTI
    INTx

I love rpgs!

Of the more modern titles:
    - Dragon Age of course. I made a mage first off and used morrigan too, so I guess I was playing easy mode, but made up for it by having horrible equipment and making terrible spell choices. The difficulty seemed just right. The story was nothing unique but it was very meaty and the world felt well designed, so I loved it anyway.

- Mass Effect 1 and 2 are great. I expect 3 to be fantastic. I like how the choices carry through and I like the feel of combat. I like the paragon-renegade alignment system and conversation in general. The plot is unique.

- The Spirit Engine 2 is an interesting indie title. I recommend trying the demo. Linear plot, jrpg style combat, but the art, music, and tale are charming. It's a throwback to the snes glory days.

- Neverwinter Nights 2 was pretty well done. I wouldn't say it excelled in any given area really, it was just decent all around.

- Some people like Oblivion, Morrowind, and Fallout 3. I don't.

And of the older PC stuff:
    Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 + expansions.
    Planescape: Torment is a classic. Very dated though.
    Arcanum was good is a little broken.
    Neverwinter Nights 1 I didn't care for, but is worth mention.
    Some people like the Witcher. I didn't.

I have a soft spot for the snes era rpgs. Secret of mana, final fantasy 6, crono trigger.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

I don't know if you like old school RPGs but at one point I was on a mission to play any RPG that came out. I think I've lost interest in playing RPG, so when I played RPGs that came out recently I can't seem to get into them like I used to; this was the case with FFXIII, Dragon Age, FFXII, etc. But some RPGs that I think you should check out are:

Crono Trigger
    Breath of Fire III and V
    Suikoden II
    Secret of Mana
    Earthbound
    Seiken Densetsu III
    Grandia
    Xenogears
    Castlevania: SOTN
    Shadow Hearts I and II

Hmm, that's all I can think of right now.
    This post grammatical errors had been intentionally left uncorrected.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Alundra for the playstation.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Jade Empire is good.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Golden Sun and the sequel, Golden Sun: The Lost Age.

I must've played through those at least twenty times.

I agree with Feops and forzen: Secret of Mana, FFIII and VI and Breath of Fire are awesome, as well.
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

If yeu want an older, but truly awesome RPG... try to find a copy of Planescape: Torment.

It came out around the time when Baulder's Gate was big... except BG was total horrible worthless CRAP, and Torment was pristine and incredible.

Where many RPG's insist on making huge, vast, expanses of... nothing... Torment crams in so much stuff into such a tiny area yeu feel overwhelmed with the sheer amount of STUFF.

The writing, the biggest part of an RPG being the storyline, is top notch, with some seriously weird, yet epicly awesome stuff. Even yeur allies, the characters yeu get to play as, are amazingly intricate and fun.

Where baulder's gate tossed dozens of characters at yeu, each of which were generic and bland with no real purpose, there's only 7 playable characters in torment at all, 6 of which maximum in a party at a time, so they each have many scripted things to say in each situation and so on as yeu go through the game. This is a bit linear, but offers far, far more detailed writing.

And honestly, where else can yeu go up to a guy preaching about the afterlife, break yeur own neck to 'prove' the afterlife is a fake, and then demand that he do the same? XD Ah the joys of playing an immortal ^^

Gets around the whole "restart from savepoint makes no sense" problem, and there's even a few times where dying will actually help yeu! ...That... and one of yeur allies is essentially a fire elemental who 'teaches' yeu new fire spells... by burning yeur organs with them. Toss him a spleen, set it on fire, BAM, now yeu know how to torch stuff XD

It's a... very strange game, but if yeu're looking for story, it definately is worth it =3

Just keep in mind it's using OLD 2nd edition AD&D rules, so it's not particularly great gameplay. It's still very fun though <3

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Fallout 1 and 2,
    Planescape: Torment
    Bioware: Anything
    KotOR II
    Anachronox (if you're a fan of JRPGs but want something western with black humor GO PLAY THIS RIGHT NOW IT IS AMAZING)

I'm not a huuuge fan of JRPGs but I really enjoyed the Chrono Series, Skies of Arcadia, and Ogre Battle (though it has tactics elements that some may not like)

Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines is most enjoyable.

The Witcher is awesome.

Arcanum is another good older title.

Deus Ex (though it's one of those weird cross genre games, there are very few games like it today where you actually can play however you want and still beat the game.)

The original Fable is a fun little jaunt through the RPG tropes while having some fun self-referential stuff.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Oh, even though it's a Bioware game and I already mentioned Bioware above. Neverwinter Nights is awesome simply because of the size of its player created content.

I'm not a huge fan of Obsidian or Bethesda RPGs. Obsidian's rpgs just tend to be clunky and Bethesda seems to think that Fedex quests + rehashing old ideas in really bad ways = Good game (sorry, I'm bitter about Fallout 3.)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of Obsidian or Bethesda RPGs. Obsidian's rpgs just tend to be clunky and Bethesda seems to think that Fedex quests + rehashing old ideas in really bad ways = Good game (sorry, I'm bitter about Fallout 3.)
    I'm still bitter that they turned Fallout into a 3rd person game. Ok, you can adopt an over the shoulder view, but the game doesn't work well like that. And they added some silly things I didn't like. AND the original ending sucked. And the new adding after Brocken Steel doesn't make sense.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I'm still bitter that they turned Fallout into a 3rd person game. Ok, you can adopt an over the shoulder view, but the game doesn't work well like that. And they added some silly things I didn't like. AND the original ending sucked. And the new adding after Brocken Steel doesn't make sense.
    Yeah, to me Fallout 3 is the never Released Van Buren and that thing that Bethesda released is Oblivion with guns and mutants.