I love rpgs!
Of the more modern titles:
- Dragon Age of course. I made a mage first off and used morrigan too, so I guess I was playing easy mode, but made up for it by having horrible equipment and making terrible spell choices. The difficulty seemed just right. The story was nothing unique but it was very meaty and the world felt well designed, so I loved it anyway.
- Mass Effect 1 and 2 are great. I expect 3 to be fantastic. I like how the choices carry through and I like the feel of combat. I like the paragon-renegade alignment system and conversation in general. The plot is unique.
- The Spirit Engine 2 is an interesting indie title. I recommend trying the demo. Linear plot, jrpg style combat, but the art, music, and tale are charming. It's a throwback to the snes glory days.
- Neverwinter Nights 2 was pretty well done. I wouldn't say it excelled in any given area really, it was just decent all around.
- Some people like Oblivion, Morrowind, and Fallout 3. I don't.
And of the older PC stuff:
Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 + expansions.
Planescape: Torment is a classic. Very dated though.
Arcanum was good is a little broken.
Neverwinter Nights 1 I didn't care for, but is worth mention.
Some people like the Witcher. I didn't.
I have a soft spot for the snes era rpgs. Secret of mana, final fantasy 6, crono trigger.