• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How much would YOU pay for a well-painted portrait?

seamaid

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Hypothetically speaking, if you were to want to buy a portrait, what price range would be reasonable for you?

Er, since size is important I suppose, let's say the pictures are 11 by 14 inches.

Thanks for your replies!

Last edited:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll be honest and say I wouldn't pay much, maybe 20$ or perhaps up to 50$ for exceptional work and a subject I really wanted. But I am cheap, and a student, and I could paint a pretty good portrait myself for free, so I'm probably not a good sample.

I think you should charge a lot more than that though, lol. Not sure what the going rate is, though.

Good luck with this. It can be quite lucrative if you're talented and manage to find the right buyers (I know from experience that rich people, especially moms will pay good money for good portraits of their kids). I hear pet portraits are also good to do.

edit: aww, why did you take out all the details?

seamaid

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Thank you, Randomnity!

I really appreciate the honesty. I want to have a set price on the ad (that I'll post in coffee shops and on places like craigslist) that doesn't scare people away and yet is lucrative enough that I can really amass a good profit in 3 years or so to pay for grad school etc.

The going price on craigslist is about US$150 for something similar (but poorly painted, imho). If I had a reputation / connections / website / history of doing this, I could charge more (as you say, with wealthy people), but I don't, hm. So I would be aiming my paper/postcard/online ads at "comfortably-off" professional people, who wouldn't mind decorating their home with something artsy and unique.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
If I had it to play with, I might pay $100. $150 would be a bit of a stretch, but depending on the quality, I could be persuaded.

P

Phantonym

Nothing, actually. Portraits creep me out, so I wouldn't really turn to an artist. I've always wondered why would people want to hang up pics, let alone paintings, of themselves or really anybody else (yes, even classical masterpiece portraits which I thoroughly enjoy in the museums), no matter how good they were. Giving somebody a portrait of yourself as a gift = :eek: But that's just my own little quirk, pics of people I know aren't really my thing I suppose.

Hypothetically speaking, I guess it would depend on the talent of the artist making the portrait and the quality of the work. It would also depend on my mood quite a lot. If I would love the picture, I wouldn't mind dishing out a bundle. Haha, I'm not really helpful, numbers are but mere insignificant details.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I have a little (4x6) pencil sketch of my daughter when she was 3, that I just love. It was a gift so I didn't buy it and I don't know how much it cost. But it won me over to Team Portrait. I wasn't a fan of them either, before I actually had one of someone I care about.

seamaid

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Nothing, actually. Portraits creep me out, so I wouldn't really turn to an artist. I've always wondered why people would want to hang up pics, let alone paintings, of themselves or really anybody else (yes, even classical masterpiece portraits which I thoroughly enjoy in the museums), no matter how good they were. Giving somebody a portrait of yourself as a gift = :eek: But that's just my own little quirk.

Hypothetically speaking, I guess it would depend on the talent of the artist making the portrait and the quality of the work. It would also depend on my mood quite a lot. If I would love the picture, I wouldn't mind dishing out a bundle. Haha, I'm not really helpful, numbers are but mere insignificant details.

Very interesting... I understand that for some the impetus to actually take action and contact the artist may come from a whim, and for others maybe it might result from a more cost-benefit analysis. And I can see how portraits can be creepy! Especially the children ones, haha!

I wonder how I should craft my ad to create a desire for a portrait (for those who are susceptible to clever ads)? :devil: A friend of mine suggested that I should change up (update) my ads every time I have a new portrait, and feature that new addition. That way, coffee shop regulars can see that they can be part of something cooler and bigger than mere individuated one-offs.

Sorry, this is totally a marketing question. :blush:

seamaid

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I have a little (4x6) pencil sketch of my daughter when she was 3, that I just love. It was a gift so I didn't buy it and I don't know how much it cost. But it won me over to Team Portrait. I wasn't a fan of them either, before I actually had one of someone I care about.

Thank you for that touching anecdote. I had to paint a sample portrait to put on that ad and the one I did of my boyfriend was really enjoyable to do, precisely because it was someone I love. A random celebrity likeness would not be half as fun, because (1) not much emotional connection, (2) no feedback or reward.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hypothetically speaking, if you were to want to buy a portrait, what price range would be reasonable for you?

Er, since size is important I suppose, let's say the pictures are 11 by 14 inches.

Thanks for your replies!

I want a giant Mao-style poster for my cult of personality. I would pay $1000 and a creepy back rub.

seamaid

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Sure. You can PM me a "throwaway" email address (to be safe) and I'll email you a link to the painting I did recently. Feedback encouraged!

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In honesty, I wouldn't buy one. Portraits, in a way, are creepy.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm terrified of having pictures of people (me included) hanging on my walls... I always feel like I'm being watched :unsure:

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That's what makes them beautiful. Also, sometimes you can capture someone's essence better with a portrait than with a photograph.
Finding beauty in these certain types of creepiness is not one of my traits unfortunately. Yes, a better essence. However the essence may lie to you and alter the more truthful perception.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I would pay as much as $150 for that size painted probably.

Last year I had a 16x20 drawn in pencil of my wife and baby for Christmas. It was $75 and I think she gave me some kind of discount.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Finding beauty in these certain types of creepiness is not one of my traits unfortunately. Yes, a better essence. However the essence may lie to you and alter the more truthful perception.

The world is a chamber of horrors, my friend. We may as well find the beauty in that. There is a beauty in the liquid groans of the ever-emerging, ever-dying life that infests this planet like a vast seething pestilence. There is a beauty in the drumbeat of violence of birth and death that we dance to.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The world is a chamber of horrors, my friend. We may as well find the beauty in that. There is a beauty in the liquid groans of the ever-emerging, ever-dying life that infests this planet like a vast seething pestilence. There is a beauty in the drumbeat of violence of birth and death that we dance to.
You may say that, however, beauty can only be but a perception. And thus, beauty cannot be indicated except within the perception of the individual. What you have given me as beauty is, in the end, a personal view.