User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default When do we actually "love" music?

For a few years now I've wanted and attempted to discuss the process of liking or loving music with others, but the conversations have all rapidly decayed into "That's foolish, you just like it and that's all there is to it. You're overthinking it." So I'm opening a discussion in hopes of hearing some of your angles.

Here are a few quick bullets highlighting my own process & criteria:

1 - The most objective measurement of "loving" a song for me is marked by an obvious physical reaction, usually head & spine tingling, arm and leg hairs raised on end. These songs always throw my head in the clouds.
    2 - I have to listen to a new song around seven times before I get a true physical reaction (the point at which I can say that I love the song).
    3 - I have to listen to a song around thirty times before I start paying attention to lyrics.
    4 - Rhythms are cool and they can make my body want to move, but music with no melody will not evoke the previously mentioned physical reaction (#1). Consequently, I won't love a song without melody. I'll like it at best.

So how does the process work for the rest of you?

MBTI
    INFJ

Most of the time I know immediately if a song is an "I love this song and I will listen to it for the rest of my life" song. The first time I heard the song "Run" by Snow Patrol I felt like my heart was being ripped out of my chest (listening to music at night always intensifies my listening/emotional experience). "Deliver Me" by Sarah Brightman makes me cry every time I hear it, because it fits my life so well in both words and sounds.

I listen to the words of a song first and foremost--I have to know what the purpose of the song is and judge its worth, and if the music doesn't sound good or go along with it the way it "should" I will not like it very well.

MBTI
    OMNi

It's an interesting question. The songs I love most are associated with animes that I really loved. For example, Fuu's "We are Fighting Dreamers" has been a favorite of mine since I used to watch episodes of Naruto as a Sophomore in college. Another was Linkin Parks "Numb" which I saw used in an animated music video featuring DragonBall Z. It's not even restricted to animes. Since I saw Office Space, I have been in love with Ghetto Boy's "Damn it Feels Good to be a Gangsta." Others are childhood favorites. "Kung Fu Fighters" was a classic we used to sing in my martial arts classes when I was a kid. ACDC, Green Day, U2, ect. were favorites of my roommates that I came to associate with other activities that I love.

I guess I'm a behaviorist when it comes to music. I associate music with other things I love and it then brings about the same euphoric feeling. For example soundtracks and theme songs, like James Bond, Mission Impossible, Mortal Combat, etc. give me an exhilarated feeling. Other music affects me in different ways depending upon what I associate it with.

MBTI
    WOLF

Music I love: music that brings me into another state. Music that instantly calms and centers me. Music that makes me lose myself - and that control is pretty hard to let go of, so I know it's a winner when that happens I also have to listen to the same song a number of times before I really love it.

mm.. for me,
    ...It can just be an extremely high quality recording that is enjoyable.
    ...or, it can be something I've listened to off-and-on and then I experience in the company with other people blasting from a car/living room
    ...or, it is a random song from my high school years that I like but don't own

I do not get any physical reaction beyond occasionally dancing if it is a good point in the set/track

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I dig this thread.

I haven't met too many other people in the big blue world that get the physical reactions to certain music like I do; goosebumps, shivers, etc.

It's really a varying array of tunes that do this to me. Most of the time, if I have associated a tune with a powerful time in my life, or any other amazing experience, that song/score will inspire those feelings to all come rushing back, even 20 years later.

There isn't a specific type of music that does this to me either, it can be classical, rock, folk, soundtrack, score to a movie, drum and bass, trance; if the song hit me once at a crucial time, it will do it every time I hear it. I can still throw in Blood Sugar Sex Magik and have it make me feel the exact same way that I felt in the summer of 1992. The only other sense that is as strong for me is smell, but both sensations are tied to emotional highs and lows and how it impacted me when I heard it the first time.

MBTI
    INTJ

... And I thought I was developing my Fi.

---

Edit: I decided that I shouldn't give up so easily! Here's what I've come up with so far:

- Lyrics are a potential dealbreaker for me. I cannot love a song if I do not appreciate the lyrics. They don't have to be sophisticated, they just have to resonate with me. For instance, I remember being frustrated with the lyrics on Hole's album Live Through This which was an album I liked and could have loved if only the themes (the objectification and abuse of women, self-destructiveness) had not been totally foreign to me (for which, incidentally, I am thankful).

I'll add things as I figure them out.

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    ... And I thought I was developing my Fi.

Actually, I thought INTJs would love music in an intellectual appreciation sense?

Music I like has either rhythm, lyrics I can relate to, appealing melody (atonal, flats-based *sad* ones), or good vocals. Lyrics are not a must to me.

For it to become something I'd love though, the unifying theme across all the factors above is the use of silence?

It is the breaks which make the music what it is. So a piece I'd fall in love with would know how to use the silence to express the mood, melody and soul.

This is a piece I'm trying to learn now, I think it best explains what I'm trying to say here. In this story, the guy created this piece for a girl he loves whom he cannot have. It speaks of desire and memory to me : YouTube - Sena's Performance

** Edit: If anyone has the score for this, I'd dearly love to have it.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    Actually, I thought INTJs would love music in an intellectual appreciation sense?
    Maybe? Anyway, see my edit.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryPenguin View Post
    I dig this thread.

I haven't met too many other people in the big blue world that get the physical reactions to certain music like I do; goosebumps, shivers, etc.

It's really a varying array of tunes that do this to me. Most of the time, if I have associated a tune with a powerful time in my life, or any other amazing experience, that song/score will inspire those feelings to all come rushing back, even 20 years later.

There isn't a specific type of music that does this to me either, it can be classical, rock, folk, soundtrack, score to a movie, drum and bass, trance; if the song hit me once at a crucial time, it will do it every time I hear it. I can still throw in Blood Sugar Sex Magik and have it make me feel the exact same way that I felt in the summer of 1992. The only other sense that is as strong for me is smell, but both sensations are tied to emotional highs and lows and how it impacted me when I heard it the first time.
    Exactly!

Music of any type derives all types of emotion in me.
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters