User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INxP

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Wow, that suddenly makes a whole lot of sense....I hadn't really thought about it that way before but.....yes. Also sort of connected to their focus on rhythm rather than melody. You can't convey emotions through "boom BOOM boom BOOM".
    I do think you're stereotyping electronica here a bit

There is plenty of quirky electronic out there that fits all the emotions. Its a bit like seeing electronic as extroverted, and rock as introverted. Such generalizations make no sense.

Music I love is Nick Cave and Mr. Cohen... The distinctive/timeless feel is what does it. I like how its almost about a single persona, almost crafted, rather than being highly associative. For emotional music I always go for singer/songwriters, or bands that are almost completely focused on the lead member.

Music definately is like a drug for me. Don't get physical sensations (I only do when its a hollywood soundtrack, or battle metal or something) It definately feels like a fix when after long periods of silence or daily noise, and I can get sick of it in the same kinda way. It becomes slightly intellectual, ironically, when I'm listening to more general/sensational stuff, and I'll try to analyse and think, ok thats original, or derivative of so and so, or just plain bombastic or whatever. When you've got groups of people coming together I think its extremely hard for them to gel into the same 'whole' that an individual naturally is, so it focuses more on creativity, over crafting something truly expressive. My 'sensational' band of the moment is The Black Keys (who are as addicting as crack right now).

^ damn, thats about the most infp thing I've ever written.

When we relate to it?

The second a song starts I know if I like it or not because I figure out what scale it is written in in my head. Then I assess the melody, timing and use of sixteenth notes and then the vocal melody. I know at this point that I enjoy the song. In regards to feeling anything for the song it depends on if I relate to what is being spoken and/or the melody/pitch of the vocal line appeals to me. I may feel for the wave-forms or tuning the lead instruments consist of but it's mostly based upon scale and melody for me. The bass, I can sometimes feel the bass but prefer 16th slap bass melodies in comparison to off-beat 4 to the floor super-sawtooth waves and/or slow, groovy riffs.

I 'love' music when I relate to the mood it conveys and my soul feels as if it is on the same level as it.

There's around 352 unique scales in music. In commercial western music as we know it only around 12-24 are used which is why music is so bland here in comparison the east.
    Veni, Vidi, Cessi.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyhighbrow View Post
    I do think you're stereotyping electronica here a bit

There is plenty of quirky electronic out there that fits all the emotions. Its a bit like seeing electronic as extroverted, and rock as introverted. Such generalizations make no sense.

Music I love is Nick Cave and Mr. Cohen... The distinctive/timeless feel is what does it. I like how its almost about a single persona, almost crafted, rather than being highly associative. For emotional music I always go for singer/songwriters, or bands that are almost completely focused on the lead member.

Music definately is like a drug for me. Don't get physical sensations (I only do when its a hollywood soundtrack, or battle metal or something) It definately feels like a fix when after long periods of silence or daily noise, and I can get sick of it in the same kinda way. It becomes slightly intellectual, ironically, when I'm listening to more general/sensational stuff, and I'll try to analyse and think, ok thats original, or derivative of so and so, or just plain bombastic or whatever. When you've got groups of people coming together I think its extremely hard for them to gel into the same 'whole' that an individual naturally is, so it focuses more on creativity, over crafting something truly expressive. My 'sensational' band of the moment is The Black Keys (who are as addicting as crack right now).

^ damn, thats about the most infp thing I've ever written.
    Yeah, I can't speak for what anyone else experiences, or for the songs I haven't heard. I'm sure every genre has a few songs that can be universally enjoyed, I just haven't heard them yet for electronica.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INxP

Quote Originally Posted by uncommonentity View Post
    When we relate to it?

The second a song starts I know if I like it or not because I figure out what scale it is written in in my head. Then I assess the melody, timing and use of sixteenth notes and then the vocal melody. I know at this point that I enjoy the song. In regards to feeling anything for the song it depends on if I relate to what is being spoken and/or the melody/pitch of the vocal line appeals to me. I may feel for the wave-forms or tuning the lead instruments consist of but it's mostly based upon scale and melody for me. The bass, I can sometimes feel the bass but prefer 16th slap bass melodies in comparison to off-beat 4 to the floor super-sawtooth waves and/or slow, groovy riffs.

I 'love' music when I relate to the mood it conveys and my soul feels as if it is on the same level as it.

There's around 352 unique scales in music. In commercial western music as we know it only around 12-24 are used which is why music is so bland here in comparison the east.
    This is quite analytical. I didn't understand what I listen to, but I was always reluctant to pin down exactly what rhythm, melody and harmony gets me excited,
    as I had this idea that when you start breaking it down it becomes 'degraded', as if you are unraveling the rainbow, and then you can't let go of the T... And then the only solace is more conceptual/discourse based forms. apologies for this tangential rant. Then again, if you just came up with your ideal song using this method... wouldn't that inspire you to go and create it? I suppose we humans (thankfully) are very good at 'blending' things so we'll never really break it down logically. Like you say, you love it when the right 'soul' is there...

Edit: also, maybe we should be glad that all our music sounds similar... at least we don't have everyone going nuts and finding wildly differing musical styles so we can't piece it all together to figure out what the hell they're on about We gotta be able to relate to it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyhighbrow View Post
    as I had this idea that when you start breaking it down it becomes 'degraded', as if you are unraveling the rainbow
    If magic is all we've ever known
    Then it's easy to miss what really goes on
    But I've seen miracles in every way
    And I see miracles everyday