More Fi, more more!

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jive A Turkey View Post
    For a few years now I've wanted and attempted to discuss the process of liking or loving music with others, but the conversations have all rapidly decayed into "That's foolish, you just like it and that's all there is to it. You're overthinking it." So I'm opening a discussion in hopes of hearing some of your angles.

Here are a few quick bullets highlighting my own process & criteria:

1 - The most objective measurement of "loving" a song for me is marked by an obvious physical reaction, usually head & spine tingling, arm and leg hairs raised on end. These songs always throw my head in the clouds.
    2 - I have to listen to a new song around seven times before I get a true physical reaction (the point at which I can say that I love the song).
    3 - I have to listen to a song around thirty times before I start paying attention to lyrics.
    4 - Rhythms are cool and they can make my body want to move, but music with no melody will not evoke the previously mentioned physical reaction (#1). Consequently, I won't love a song without melody. I'll like it at best.

So how does the process work for the rest of you?
    A very interesting question, Jive. (And I like how you describe your instinctive connection to a certain piece.)

It has to be an initial "grab". Something about the singer's voice or a sticky cadence. The lyrics, for me, get my attention almost right away. I may give a song I may have dismissed earlier another listen if the lyrics are genuinely clever or positing a worthwhile idea (whether I agree with it or not). I physically get excited, limbically irritable or hopped up if I hear something unexpectedly "Zen", and I'll dig tirelessly to find out what it is that I'm hearing. It's like falling in love for me.

A bad or unoriginal singer can turn me off faster than anything. Great music can't make up for drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa, if you know what I mean.

My mother was R&B and orchestral. My dad was classic/southern rock. My grandparents liked big band and jazz. I adopted them all, adding new wave, rockabilly, country and punk.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryPenguin View Post
    I haven't met too many other people in the big blue world that get the physical reactions to certain music like I do; goosebumps, shivers, etc.
    I thought everybody got that. I'm quite amazed that this doesn't seem to be the case.

MBTI
    INTJ

The music I really like evokes something from me, usually some kind of picture or image, or a certain feeling.

Oh yeah, and it causes me to have a seizure...just kidding.
    Still using a needle to break apart a grain of sand.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryPenguin View Post
    I dig this thread.

I haven't met too many other people in the big blue world that get the physical reactions to certain music like I do; goosebumps, shivers, etc.
    I get this reaction, but only very rarely... and when I do, it's a song that I have to hear over and over and over again.

Sometimes it's just part of a song that'll do it. For example, Led Zeppelin's song "Thank You" only does it to me on the three or four lines beginning with "Little drops of rain..." The rest of the song is good, but not chillingly so.

Led Zeppelin's "Hey Hey What Can I Do" had that effect on me too, but no longer does. It was the music that did it, not the lyrics. I still like the song a great deal, but I don't get the goosebumps reaction. Ditto for "Locomotive Breath" by Jethro Tull and "Southern Cross" by CSN.

Yes, all these songs are ancient. What can I say? My tastes are archaic.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

I listen to music in a very holistic way. I usually pay no attention to the sound of separate instruments (e.g. guitars) that are used. I listen to the melody, the voice of the singer and the beat. I do not like music where there are no singer. I don't pay too much attention to the words either. The most important aspect of the music is the feeling it brings me.

I like quite many types of music: r&b, rock'n'roll, heavy music, rockabilly, glam rock, dance music, ballroom music (my dad played that for me), even some opera etc.

It's almost any kind of music that can give me goose bumps, shivers, tears to my eyes etc. as long as that song has a feeling. One funny example: I saw the winner of Britain has talent on TV singing one opera song and I cried. The singer had some thing in him that absolutely made me cry.

I usually don't like very chaotic music or very distracting music because of the feeling it brings me.
    Last edited by alcea rosea; 12-29-2007 at 10:21 AM.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Music usually seems to just "grab" me, and I never really figure out why.

The types of music that never seem to grab me include ones where one part of the music doesn't fit with another part (Bands while one person screams while some instruments play in the background fit with this), music where someone tries to force some drama in (Some action music overuses choirs or dramatic music, songs from concerts often seem to do this.), music that heavily repeats certain parts too much. (some action movie music does this also.)and slow music is usually less successful, although there are a lot of exceptions to this.

Music is also effected by what I've been listening to around it, there are a number of CD's where individual songs are average or good, but that I like a lot because of how the songs follow, or there are a bunch of songs stuck together in a certain way with little dead space.

In general, there is no overall type of music I have heard and don't like except screaming rock type music.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

This isn't perhaps "love", but every time I hear Aerosmith's "Janie's Got a Gun", I have to change the channel immediately. When I hear it, it's like being dragged by my nails back into the past where everyone I knew was Janie. It was madness and survival and this wild sort of trying to escape, and I can't listen to that song without getting cold chills and physically recoiling/reaching for the radio like it's on fire.

Amazing how music can do that to a person.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Alcearos View Post
    I listen to music in a very holistic way. I usually pay no attention to the sound of separate instruments (e.g. guitars) that are used. I listen to the melody, the voice of the singer and the beat. I do not like music where there are no singer. I don't pay too much attention to the words either. The most important aspect of the music is the feeling it brings me.

I like quite many types of music: r&b, rock'n'roll, heavy music, rockabilly, glam rock, dance music, ballroom music (my dad played that for me), even some opera etc.

It's almost any kind of music that can give me goose bumps, shivers, tears to my eyes etc. as long as that song has a feeling. One funny example: I saw the winner of Britain has talent on TV singing one opera song and I cried. The singer had some thing in him that absolutely made me cry.
    Paul Potts!!! I was the unexpected beautiful voice and the story behind him that made his song even more beautiful!

I usually don't like very chaotic music or very distracting music because of the feeling it brings me.
    Other than jazz (which I am not a big fan of), chaotic music fit my life when I was younger. Not so much now.
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Paul Potts!!! I was the unexpected beautiful voice and the story behind him that made his song even more beautiful!
    Yes, it's Paul Potts who I meant!