• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Firefly

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My boyfriend just recently bought the entire series dvd set (which is only 14 episodes) I had never heard of this show, and when he began to tell me what the series was about, i was sort of skeptical. I watched the series and i am absolutely in love with it. I can't believe it was canceled. I've found myself being very obsessed with it and looking up lots of information about the series. I didn't know this show had such a huge fan base! Did anyone here watch this show? I also had to download Serenity and watch that. Good stuff. I love Mal and Jayne. Jayne made me laugh every 5 minutes.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
I :heart: Firefly. Just the concept is exciting to me! I haven't actually seen the episodes, but once I watched the movie I was hooked. I asked for the first and only season for Christmas, so we shall see if I get it. It's a good concept. I really wish they hadn't cancelled it. That was a bastard's move.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Love Firefly. Bought myself Serenity for Christmas and I've been a good girl and not watched it yet. I can't wait.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Love Firefly. Bought myself Serenity for Christmas and I've been a good girl and not watched it yet. I can't wait.

It's really good. I was sad after watching it though because now there is just no more Firefly to watch at all. =(

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
It's really good. I was sad after watching it though because now there is just no more Firefly to watch at all. =(
I went out looking for a good replacement fix and am now hooked on Angel. Fortunately they made five seasons of that.

Isn't Joss's upcoming thing called Dollhouse or something? Whatever it is, I'm going to be checking it out.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
It was a great show, but far too many horses and westernisms for my money. I suspect that this had something to do with budget restrictions. It would've been interesting to see what they could've done in the second season if they'd had a successful first season. A lot more space cg scenes, a lot less horses probably.

Never did find out the backstory of the preacher.

sassafrassquatch

Best. Show. EVAR.

I wish Serenity had gone into Book's back story. Damn you, Whedon!

My favorite thing about Firefly...

kaylee1jt7.jpg

:shocking: :drool:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
This is a weird thing to fixate on, but does anyone know why Ron Glass (Shepherd Book) was so much thinner in Serenity?

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This is a weird thing to fixate on, but does anyone know why Ron Glass (Shepherd Book) was so much thinner in Serenity?

i didn't even notice he was thinner, but i hope its nothing serious. perhaps he wanted to shed a few pounds?

sassafrassquatch

Yeah, everyone was lean, tanned and greasy in the movie. Jewel Staite lost about 20lbs for the movie and wasn't nearly as cute and cheeky as she was in the series. :boohoo:

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
yeah i heard that on the series joss wanted her to gain 20 pounds so that she would look like a "real woman"

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Excellent show. The only silver lining in its cancellation can be found along hints that Whedon et al. pushed too hard in the first season (see: "Heart of Gold"), and may well have burned out before the third season -- instead, fans have over a dozen good episodes and a matchless, two-hour pilot.

Serenity was, I thought, a failure in resolution; to say nothing of its being too macabre for success at the box office. But it's a movie, and can be ignored from a writing and production standpoint. Joss Whedon would be precisely the man to stage a five-minute comedy brief explaining exactly why his own film was to be declared apocryphal. Besides, doesn't Sci-Fi, which is playing Firefly in syndication, have something of a history for resurrecting stillborn classics?

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
My husband loved the show and owns the DVD series. I've watched a few episodes with him but it never really took.

We did go to see Serenity the movie and we both enjoyed it.

For me the best part is the Whedonisms.

OT - That's how I felt after they cancelled "My So-Called Life" after just one season... so many loose ends.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Besides, doesn't Sci-Fi, which is playing Firefly in syndication, have something of a history for resurrecting stillborn classics?

If so they shot themselves in the foot somewhat by killing off the most likeable of the characters (Wash). And they killed off Book too before he could provide any of his backstory.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
If so they shot themselves in the foot somewhat by killing off the most likeable of the characters (Wash). And they killed off Book too before he could provide any of his backstory.

yeah i wouldn't want to see the show anymore if wash isn't on it. I just don't think it would be the same.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Hence my suggestion that the movies be excised. Neither of the deaths made any difference in the narrative, needless and occurring with bizarre indifference as they were. Serenity wasn't a snuff film. Bring Wash and Book back; and get rid of the insipid, metachlorian-like explanation for Reavers at the same time.

Yes and no. They brought back Star Trek. It didn't feel the same.
The show returned as The Next Generation, which was, after a respective three seasons, several times better than the original series.

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
IMO, Serenity was one of the best movies ever made, but only about a tenth as good as the series (you can deduce my opinion of Firefly from that). But I understand why Whedon did what he did with the movie. Firefly was all about subtle, meaningful interactions between several main characters, developed over several episodes. That doesn't work well for a feature film, especially for people not familiar with the series, and for the kind of story a film has. He needed to trim down the number of characters (he is at least tentatively planning more films), and make them more immediate and archetypal in nature.

But Wash? I mean, come on. Of all the characters to lose, why him?

It's interesting people brought up Star Trek. I'll likely be drawn and quartered for saying this, but I could never get into the Trek series (any of them). Everything is just too bright and clean and neatly resolved, and the characters seem designed more to fill assigned roles than to have actual personalities with real backstories, issues, and motivations.

To me, Firefly was everything Star Trek wasn't.