User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Firefly

Yeah, everyone was lean, tanned and greasy in the movie. Jewel Staite lost about 20lbs for the movie and wasn't nearly as cute and cheeky as she was in the series.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

yeah i heard that on the series joss wanted her to gain 20 pounds so that she would look like a "real woman"
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Big Firefly fan here too.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Excellent show. The only silver lining in its cancellation can be found along hints that Whedon et al. pushed too hard in the first season (see: "Heart of Gold"), and may well have burned out before the third season -- instead, fans have over a dozen good episodes and a matchless, two-hour pilot.

Serenity was, I thought, a failure in resolution; to say nothing of its being too macabre for success at the box office. But it's a movie, and can be ignored from a writing and production standpoint. Joss Whedon would be precisely the man to stage a five-minute comedy brief explaining exactly why his own film was to be declared apocryphal. Besides, doesn't Sci-Fi, which is playing Firefly in syndication, have something of a history for resurrecting stillborn classics?

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

My husband loved the show and owns the DVD series. I've watched a few episodes with him but it never really took.

We did go to see Serenity the movie and we both enjoyed it.

For me the best part is the Whedonisms.

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    It's really good. I was sad after watching it though because now there is just no more Firefly to watch at all. =(
    OT - That's how I felt after they cancelled "My So-Called Life" after just one season... so many loose ends.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Besides, doesn't Sci-Fi, which is playing Firefly in syndication, have something of a history for resurrecting stillborn classics?
    If so they shot themselves in the foot somewhat by killing off the most likeable of the characters (Wash). And they killed off Book too before he could provide any of his backstory.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    If so they shot themselves in the foot somewhat by killing off the most likeable of the characters (Wash). And they killed off Book too before he could provide any of his backstory.

yeah i wouldn't want to see the show anymore if wash isn't on it. I just don't think it would be the same.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

It's been too long. You can't bring a show back after five years, it wouldn't feel the same.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Hence my suggestion that the movies be excised. Neither of the deaths made any difference in the narrative, needless and occurring with bizarre indifference as they were. Serenity wasn't a snuff film. Bring Wash and Book back; and get rid of the insipid, metachlorian-like explanation for Reavers at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Yes and no. They brought back Star Trek. It didn't feel the same.
    The show returned as The Next Generation, which was, after a respective three seasons, several times better than the original series.

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

IMO, Serenity was one of the best movies ever made, but only about a tenth as good as the series (you can deduce my opinion of Firefly from that). But I understand why Whedon did what he did with the movie. Firefly was all about subtle, meaningful interactions between several main characters, developed over several episodes. That doesn't work well for a feature film, especially for people not familiar with the series, and for the kind of story a film has. He needed to trim down the number of characters (he is at least tentatively planning more films), and make them more immediate and archetypal in nature.

But Wash? I mean, come on. Of all the characters to lose, why him?

It's interesting people brought up Star Trek. I'll likely be drawn and quartered for saying this, but I could never get into the Trek series (any of them). Everything is just too bright and clean and neatly resolved, and the characters seem designed more to fill assigned roles than to have actual personalities with real backstories, issues, and motivations.

To me, Firefly was everything Star Trek wasn't.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.