User Tag List

12311 Last

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Default Experiencing Euphoria from Music

Maybe I don't hang around the right people but I'm the only one I know that experiences intense euphoria from listening to music. I've read a few studies that said some individuals experience a spike of dopamine activity--similar to what happens with food and sex--while listening to music. But the study was done on people who have musical training--I don't have any (I wish I did).

Anyone else experience this?

Phantonym

Yes, I've experienced it all my life. It's difficult to explain. I can get attached to one song and then listen to it for days on end because it's just...wow. Only that one song. Then it subsides, like I get satiated with it and it loses it's effect, and I move on to other songs, listening to that song again might or might not have the same effect. Or it can come and go. It certainly doesn't happen with every song.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Yes!

This happens to me all the time, and has my whole life.

I am an auditory learner, and so whenever a piece of music grabs onto my inner gears and starts cranking them with new efficiency/synergy/intensity it effects the totality of my being.

I identify with sounds more than anything else. Period.

I love it. It's given me a chance to bust into an extremely good mood and to be very happy and productive every single day of my life.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    Maybe I don't hang around the right people but I'm the only one I know that experiences intense euphoria from listening to music. I've read a few studies that said some individuals experience a spike of dopamine activity--similar to what happens with food and sex--while listening to music. But the study was done on people who have musical training--I don't have any (I wish I did).

Anyone else experience this?
    Yes. Not often, but yes. And I love it. (I'm a 'trained' musician)

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

This is probably one of the best places to ask this, actually. I've roamed through the lists of Typec's favorite groups and a lot likely do get this. Their tastes say too much about it.

I definitely get this. Music can affect my entire mood and brings on interesting sensations. Most often, it is tingly and like an internal uprising. Hm.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Woohoo (hand-clap)!

I'm glad I'm not alone in this. I stayed up almost all last night getting off to music--it was so wonderful. I'm really into now because I've been experiencing depression.

The experience is so intense that I usually prefer to listen to it in private (man, does that sound like somebody finding a quiet corner to enjoy their rock or what?). Until I looked into this, I thought I was having an abnormal response.

It doesn't happen with every song but there are songs that I'm guaranteed to experience it with. Oddly enough, I don't always want to listen to them because it can be overwhelming and I'll just want to listen to 'regular' music.

Bjork's "Headphones" is like an anthem. Yeah--they saved my life...or make life really worth living at times!

I do feel this way occasionally. I can't think of any recent experiences/songs, but I definitely feel almost like transported, or like I AM the music or something... I dunno how to describe exactly.

Well actually, now that I think of it, there's Sufjan Stevens that I really looooove to just LISTEN to. So many layers and so many variations and different textures and moods and styles. And the lyrics are fabulous (though I'm pretty sure he didn't write them). It's like ten minutes, and you've gotta listen to all of it at once to get a sense of the motion of the whole piece...

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma-l-2izB_s"]You Are the Blood[/YOUTUBE]

It's funny you mention Bjork, Redbone, because my roommie/good friend (who is a classically/professionally trained violinist) has these intense reactions to her music.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INTP

I experience euphoria from music.

Redbone, I hadn't heard of that study before. I did hear an interview with the author of this book: This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession and it was interesting and sounds up your alley, although I have not read it myself. Music is so powerful to me, too, but maybe not as intensely physical as some are describing.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

I get euphoria from listening to music quite a bit. Started happening before I became trained in music, and I think it intensified when I received training. The physical responses vary depending on the context of the music, the harmony, melody line, etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche