• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Experiencing Euphoria from Music

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maybe I don't hang around the right people but I'm the only one I know that experiences intense euphoria from listening to music. I've read a few studies that said some individuals experience a spike of dopamine activity--similar to what happens with food and sex--while listening to music. But the study was done on people who have musical training--I don't have any (I wish I did).

Anyone else experience this?

P

Phantonym

Yes, I've experienced it all my life. It's difficult to explain. :smile: I can get attached to one song and then listen to it for days on end because it's just...wow. Only that one song. Then it subsides, like I get satiated with it and it loses it's effect, and I move on to other songs, listening to that song again might or might not have the same effect. Or it can come and go. It certainly doesn't happen with every song.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes! :yes:

This happens to me all the time, and has my whole life.

I am an auditory learner, and so whenever a piece of music grabs onto my inner gears and starts cranking them with new efficiency/synergy/intensity it effects the totality of my being.

I identify with sounds more than anything else. Period.

I love it. It's given me a chance to bust into an extremely good mood and to be very happy and productive every single day of my life. :headphne:

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Maybe I don't hang around the right people but I'm the only one I know that experiences intense euphoria from listening to music. I've read a few studies that said some individuals experience a spike of dopamine activity--similar to what happens with food and sex--while listening to music. But the study was done on people who have musical training--I don't have any (I wish I did).

Yes. Not often, but yes. And I love it. (I'm a 'trained' musician)

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
This is probably one of the best places to ask this, actually. I've roamed through the lists of Typec's favorite groups and a lot likely do get this. Their tastes say too much about it.

I definitely get this. Music can affect my entire mood and brings on interesting sensations. Most often, it is tingly and like an internal uprising. Hm.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Woohoo (hand-clap)!

I'm glad I'm not alone in this. I stayed up almost all last night getting off to music--it was so wonderful. I'm really into now because I've been experiencing depression.

The experience is so intense that I usually prefer to listen to it in private (man, does that sound like somebody finding a quiet corner to enjoy their rock or what?). Until I looked into this, I thought I was having an abnormal response.

It doesn't happen with every song but there are songs that I'm guaranteed to experience it with. Oddly enough, I don't always want to listen to them because it can be overwhelming and I'll just want to listen to 'regular' music.

Bjork's "Headphones" is like an anthem. Yeah--they saved my life...or make life really worth living at times!

gromit

likes this
I do feel this way occasionally. I can't think of any recent experiences/songs, but I definitely feel almost like transported, or like I AM the music or something... I dunno how to describe exactly.

Well actually, now that I think of it, there's Sufjan Stevens that I really looooove to just LISTEN to. So many layers and so many variations and different textures and moods and styles. And the lyrics are fabulous (though I'm pretty sure he didn't write them). It's like ten minutes, and you've gotta listen to all of it at once to get a sense of the motion of the whole piece...

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma-l-2izB_s"]You Are the Blood[/YOUTUBE]

It's funny you mention Bjork, Redbone, because my roommie/good friend (who is a classically/professionally trained violinist) has these intense reactions to her music.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I get euphoria from listening to music quite a bit. Started happening before I became trained in music, and I think it intensified when I received training. The physical responses vary depending on the context of the music, the harmony, melody line, etc.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Yes, I've experienced it all my life. It's difficult to explain. :smile: I can get attached to one song and then listen to it for days on end because it's just...wow. Only that one song. Then it subsides, like I get satiated with it and it loses it's effect, and I move on to other songs, listening to that song again might or might not have the same effect. Or it can come and go. It certainly doesn't happen with every song.

^ This exactly.
It can happen with entire albums as well. It has only happened a couple of times with an entire album, but when the whole thing just fits together... *sigh* It's bliss. :)

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Euphoria from listening to music? Yes, all the time.

Euphoria from playing music? A High tens times better than simply listening..as you actually become the music and can feel its rhythm inside you.

"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."

JohnTag2.jpg

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP

Musical notes mimic the feeling of real emotions. This is why you can manipulate your own emotions with music. Hardcore rap when you need to feel full of vim and vigor. Classical when you need to relax. Electronic when you need to get the house clean.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Redbone, I hadn't heard of that study before. I did hear an interview with the author of this book: This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession and it was interesting and sounds up your alley, although I have not read it myself. Music is so powerful to me, too, but maybe not as intensely physical as some are describing.

Intensely pleasurable responses to music correlate with activity in brain regions implicated in reward and emotion — PNAS

Really good article. I've got another one around here somewhere (digging in my article pile)...

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Euphoria from listening to music? Yes, all the time.

Euphoria from playing music? A High tens times better than simply listening..as you actually become the music and can feel its rhythm inside you.

"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."

JohnTag2.jpg

Oh, come on--you're not serious, are you?

I better stay away from playing then 'cause with what I feel, I'd keel over dead from playing.

I'd end up like that physician who after being struck by lightning, can't stop playing the piano.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Oh, come on--you're not serious, are you?

I better stay away from playing then 'cause with what I feel, I'd keel over dead from playing.

I'd end up like that physician who after being struck by lightning, can't stop playing the piano.

you belong in a tree. because you're a nut.

Yes I was being serious.

Have you ever played music for people?

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Playing music with other people sometimes doesn't work out so well.

But other times, when you and the other people "click" musically, then it's amazing. You get into this groove and you know what they're feeling just like you're feeling.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
you belong in a tree. because you're a nut.

Yes I was being serious.

Have you ever played music for people?

What a compliment!!!!

I know you were being serious--I just can't imagine what that experience must be like....

No, I've never played music for people. I have no musical training and I cannot play any instruments *wistful envy insert here*.

What you describe sounds...oh, I lack words! What--maybe a little frightening? I was listening to some music in the wee hours of the morning and I had to shut it off because I was reacting so intensely to it. :blush:

I love to spend time analyzing the different sounds and instruments and how they weave together or run parallel to each other. Hell, I just love getting high off of it.

I love to dance, too, but my RA puts a bit of a crimp in that at times.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Music affects me very much so. I got the impression this happens to most people in varying degrees, so that it shocks me when I meet people who aren't much affected by music at all (yeah, these people exist).