• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Experiencing Euphoria from Music

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just totally pompous, egghead, overanalytical, boring, pseudo-profound music with the worst fans in the history of the world.
What bands do you consider deep and profound? Genuinly curious.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
But I wasn't talking about them... I promise that when I said "classic rock", I had a particular type of music in mind... from the Allman Brothers are miles & miles away.

But I didn't say that either!!

& I didn't mean to imply that.

I said it "seemed" "realer" "to me", "when" I "was" a teenager... & it did, so what can I say?

Of course I know who they were influenced by. But I don't have to like OR respect everyone who someone I like was influenced by-- otherwise I'd eventually have to like every artist in the history of the world, since it's all connected.

The only grunge band I ever listen to now is Nirvana, & I do consider them great art which transcends a simple musical genre.

Okay.

Well... what am I supposed to say? Talent & seriousness of intent are less important to me than the way the music sounds.

Yes talent and seriousness of intent are less important to me than the way the music sounds, too, in what I choose to listen to. Which is why I listen to Bow Wow Wow and Alphaville as well as listening to more serious or complex music.

But I still have more overall musical respect for people who have more talent and put more effort into their music at the end of the day. I'll let you talk shit about Asia all day long, but you start saying the Marshall Tucker Band is crap, and I'll cut you, bro. :phantom:

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
What bands do you consider deep and profound? Genuinly curious.

Honestly, I don't care about that in music. Or better yet, ALL good music (meaning, music I or any subjective listener likes) is profound, to whoever is struck by it. I think contemporary R&B is profound... dub music is profound. It has a sound that affects me. That's what music is supposed to do, affect people. Tool brings in a whole bunch of extra stuff that has nothing to do with the music. They're overly centered on ideas.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Honestly, I don't care about that in music. Or better yet, ALL good music (meaning, music I like) is profound-- to whoever is struck by it. I think contemporary R&B is profound... dub music is profound. It has a sound that affects me. That's what music is supposed to do, affect people. Tool brings in a whole bunch of extra stuff that has nothing to do with the music. They're overly centered on ideas.

I can completely dig what you're saying with this, the music that moves you is sacred to you...so it's not LOL when people have certain music they hold dear and you make fun of it, you just answered your question with why I was offended, actually...and while I don't think Tool is "cheesy" by any stretch of the imagination, I can entirely respect the argument that music can be ruined with too much cerebral politics...I often like music that "tells a story" which is another reason why I like guitar rock and folk music...

Minute_Maid

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
music is trashlicious when its metal on the pedal of a rope, jump and stroke, then you feeling whats real 'n you won't go back to him.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I can completely dig what you're saying with this, the music that moves you is sacred to you...so it's not LOL when people have certain music they hold dear and you make fun of it, you just answered your question with why I was offended, actually...and while I don't think Tool is "cheesy" by any stretch of the imagination, I can entirely respect the argument that music can be ruined with too much cerebral politics...I often like music that "tells a story" which is another reason why I like guitar rock and folk music...

I do make fun of certain music sometimes... like Brokencyde as an extreme example (don't know if you've heard of them). But all I said here originally was:

"For some reason I don't have any nostalgic feelings connected with classic rock even though I listened to it a lot in 7th-9th grade. I think because I always found it kinda cheesy, since I was also listening to Nirvana & modern alt-rock at the time which to me had more emotion in it"

plus that comment about bikers & hair bands.

Maybe you thought I was an alt-rock bro h8ing on the old school. I actually hate most alt-rock, & I really don't listen to much rock at all. I mostly like pop, hip hop, R&B, electronic music, dub, assorted old stuff (jazz, folk, etc..), & different weird modern 'post-[genre]' stuff.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R82OM5tzcrk"]just because[/YOUTUBE]

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Honestly, I don't care about that in music. Or better yet, ALL good music (meaning, music I or any subjective listener likes) is profound, to whoever is struck by it. I think contemporary R&B is profound... dub music is profound. It has a sound that affects me. That's what music is supposed to do, affect people. Tool brings in a whole bunch of extra stuff that has nothing to do with the music. They're overly centered on ideas.
Tool affect people - both with their music and their ideas - thus they are profound. Why can't music also be a medium for ideas? They make great fucking music, why shouldn't they be able to add a thinking element to it?

Also I think contemporary R&B is both generic and complete bullshit. No personal attack, just my perspective.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do you think of their music? You only mentioned you disliked them for being overly intellectual, can't you just ignore the lyrics?

I mean, since you don't seem to care about them. You find R&B profound but there aren't many Bob Dylans or Nick Caves in that genre; obviously you focus on the music.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Maybe you thought I was an alt-rock bro h8ing on the old school. I actually hate most alt-rock, & I really don't listen to much rock at all. I mostly like pop, hip hop, R&B, electronic music, dub, assorted old stuff (jazz, folk, etc..), & different weird modern 'post-[genre]' stuff.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

That's cool that you like jazz. My dad was a jazz musician.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
What do you think of their music? You only mentioned you disliked them for being overly intellectual, can't you just ignore the lyrics?

I mean, since you don't seem to care about them. You find R&B profound but there aren't many Bob Dylans or Nick Caves in that genre; obviously you focus on the music.

I personally love Tool but I can see where he's coming from in a more general sense. I'm actually put off by certain bands for "trying too hard" to be political or whatever, it strikes me as pretentious (I won't say who because I don't like to insult other people's taste in music, because of my own deep attachment to what I love musically) ...like one of the reasons I love guitar rock is that it tells straight-forward stories about love relationships, families, traveling, life moments, etc.

So I'm guessing he might like R&B for a similar reason...I mean when I listen to 80's synth pop I'm specifically listening to it to get away from seriousness or people's various messages.

I love Nick Cave and Bob Dylan, though, too.

I can just see where he's coming from, because I feel that way about some more current bands. I largely want the emotional and the personal and the real-life story rather than the guy pontificating about the state of the union.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

I don't like their music. I respect the musicianship, but there are other bands who do similar odd metric & polyrhythmic stuff & tempo shifts whose music is more enjoyable to me.

It's hard to explain precisely what makes me dislike it.

Because it's not very overt. It's not a "being hit over the head" kind of dislike as with (e.g) Brokencyde or Nickelback. Those dislikes are obvious. I could talk about them all day, & enjoy myself.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't like their music. I respect the musicianship, but there are other bands who do similar odd metric & polyrhythmic stuff & tempo shifts whose music is more enjoyable to me.

It's hard to explain precisely what makes me dislike it.

Because it's not very overt. It's not a "being hit over the head" kind of dislike as with (e.g) Brokencyde or Nickelback. Those dislikes are obvious. I could talk about them all day, & enjoy myself.

My old roommates used to say whenever something went wrong that Nickelback did it. It got to the point that we'd just look at each other and say "Nickelback."

:laugh:

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My old roommates used to say whenever something went wrong that Nickelback did it. It got to the point that we'd just look at each other and say "Nickelback."

:laugh:

Yeah, Nickelback is a musical H-bomb... Chad Kroeger's voice should be sent to outer space as a warning against possible invaders...

rav3n

Just realised something. When I listen to music that reeks of testosterone, it has the same effect as when I meet a guy who reeks of it.

*snarls, stalks and prowls*

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
BUT EVERYBODY WANNA BE BIG ROCK STARS!!!

Ahh man... that was when they finally jumped the shark. They were always bad, but they just ascended to a completely new level with that song. I remember cringing with embarrassment, not just for the band, but for MYSELF somehow when I heard that song... like it tapped into some part of me that was identical to the song, & made me confront it..

In other words, a typical Fi reaction :smile:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ahh man... that was when they finally jumped the shark. They were always bad, but they just ascended to a completely new level with that song. I remember cringing with embarrassment, not just for the band, but for MYSELF somehow when I heard that song... like it tapped into some part of me that was identical to the song, & made me confront it..

In other words, a typical Fi reaction :smile:

When I first heard that song I thought, "Is this a parody? This is a real song?"