• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Experiencing Euphoria from Music

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Does occur from time to time; depends on the song, and if there's an emotional connection to it.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vShacFDbzGo"]Questions and Answers - Hidden Palace[/YOUTUBE]

Case in point, can't listen to this without a wave of coolness over the body and just immediately relaxing into a calm bliss.

Other songs can create immediate changes in mood and temperament as well; from anger to grief.

Euphoria depends on the song, overall, but it can drastically change ones' perceptions I've found.

Some people are likely far more attuned to such than others though.

Some songs I can't listen to without crying, while other people I'm sure wouldn't feel much of anything. Guess it's all relative to the individual, really.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not with just any music but with the right music definitely yes.

The next step in the process of letting the music carry you would be dancing (where you hand over the control over your body)

The thing is that while there is music that makes me euphoric or hypnotizes me, there is also music that tears ma apart. It´s like taking different drugs with different effects. Since you mentioned depression, this might be something to consider. Or does music always have the same (positive, euphoric) effect on you?

F

figsfiggyfigs

I have some songs on my itunes that I've never listened to before.

As soon as something special plays. I KNOW I will fall in love with this song in the first 10 seconds. If it's one of those songs, I will forever have it on my mp3 player.

There are some songs that make you FEEL SOMETHING, maybe even share the same exact feeling that someone else felt listening to it. Maybe even feel the same pain, joy, or sorrow the artist felt creating it....

Music is a powerful thing, it is food for your soul, it is what keeps me going through a lot of my life. SO, to feel euphoric to some tunes I absolutely natural.

rav3n

If a song or piece really captures my attention, I'll replay it multiple times. But if there's a dopamine hit, it's more to do with what the piece represents to me instead of the piece itself.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maybe I don't hang around the right people but I'm the only one I know that experiences intense euphoria from listening to music. I've read a few studies that said some individuals experience a spike of dopamine activity--similar to what happens with food and sex--while listening to music. But the study was done on people who have musical training--I don't have any (I wish I did).

Anyone else experience this?

Yes. All the time. I only actively listen to music that makes me happy, inspired, emotional etc.

Do you associate sound with colors?
It's called synesthesia. It's when one or more senses are linked.
It's a neurological phenomena that occurs in a small percentage of the population.

Do you also feel incredibly bad, like physically freaking awful from listening to some sorts of music?
There are a few things I can't stand, nu-metal is one of those things.
I really have to turn it off or leave the room.
Well, sometimes there is no alternative but to endure, and then I try to zone out.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes. All the time. I only actively listen to music that makes me happy, inspired, emotional etc.

It's a neurological phenomena that occurs in a small percentage of the population.

Do you also feel incredibly bad, like physically freaking awful from listening to some sorts of music?
Well, sometimes there is no alternative but to endure, and then I try to zone out.

I associate lots of different sounds with colors. It's like my imagination is going in a Fantasia style mode whenever I listen to music. Strings sound tan to me, oboe sounds grey, square lead synth is red, sawtooth is yellow, choir pads sound pink and blue with hints of lavender. If a song is written in C-sharp minor, for instance, it seems more of an antique brass color. E-minor sounds green to me. B-flat major is blue. A-minor is a very deep shade of red.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, I've experienced it all my life. It's difficult to explain. :smile: I can get attached to one song and then listen to it for days on end because it's just...wow. Only that one song. Then it subsides, like I get satiated with it and it loses it's effect, and I move on to other songs, listening to that song again might or might not have the same effect. Or it can come and go. It certainly doesn't happen with every song.

This is exactly what I experience.

Music affects me very much so. I got the impression this happens to most people in varying degrees, so that it shocks me when I meet people who aren't much affected by music at all (yeah, these people exist).

It seems that most people aren't much affected by music. I have speculated or wondered if certain types on average may be more influenced in this way (like Ni or Fi dom).When is the last time you met an ISTJ, ESTJ or ENFP that's just really into music, for example.

Nothing like trying to use type to explain everything :D

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Not with music but with smells.

Yes. I've listened to music and I've had to turn it off or get away because it felt like blows.

One odd thing is that I cannot use mood to really change my mood. I will listen to music that matches my mood. If I try to listen to something outside my mood zone, it feels unnatural. The euphoric reaction is constant; it will happen no matter how many times I listen to that particular song that triggers the reaction. Chills...oh, hell--it's like taking a hit. It usually lasts for a while after I listen to the song.

I mentioned in another thread that I think of music as the highway in and out of the subconscious. As much as I love my books, reading, and photography, I could live without my sight. Losing my hearing would send me into a suicidal depression. No music, no life.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Lol, I guess....but my favorite bands tend to be quite depressive (cheery music can go fuck itself anyway).....which would explain quite a lot. Instead of euphoria, I get a not-unpleasant feeling...that isn't quite that of joy either.

I've become mindful of this. Quality layered upbeat music in genres that appeal to me....is very very rare though. I tend to go for deep...and deep rarely has nice things to say.

craigensa

MBTI Type
ISFP
I went to see a Prom in London 5 days ago...Berlin Philharmonic...one of the best orchestras in the world. They were playing Mahler's 1st Symphony. By the triumphant end it felt like I had been to a good comedy gig because my face hurt from smiling so much. It's a feeling of elation that you can't describe to someone who has never experienced it. I don't get this same feeling if I listened to a song with good lyrics but no musical interest.

I have a friend (who I think is INTP) who doesn't see any need for music in the world. He just doesn't listen to it. I feel for people like that...people who get no joy from one of the most ubiquitous sources of entertainment we have available to us.

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
AB-SO-LUTELY.

Like others have said, it depends on the music, but it happens often for me. Having been on both sides of the music receiving/giving spectrum, I'd say it feels at least as good for the performer as it does for the audience as far as intense euporia is concerned. As a performer though, you are probably more likely to feel it as there is a greater chance of you connecting with at least one person in a large group of people versus being one member of the audience connecting with just one person performing. Being with a group of people as you experience this may have some effect on a single audience member, but probably not as much as it does on the performer. Not to mention the fact that as a performer you have a large group of people paying most if not all of their attention on you, which can be a rush on its own.

Dyoni

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I don't think I've ever felt a sense of euphoria from music. I've been deeply moved by music, though, which is usually surprising for me since I'm not a very emotional person. I felt this way the most when I was in the middle of getting a divorce - love songs that I had never understood made perfect sense finally.

There are songs that really make me want to dance, too. Dance + music makes me feel more 'euphoric' than just listening to it.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If something is really good, it's hard to explain, but I can sort of get "chills".

KDude

I get chills too, along with vivid imagery, self-identification with theme, which would end up in tears or joy or sadness.. Sometimes it's absurd, and I don't know why it's provoking emotion in me. Like it could just be a clever segue in the rhythm, and a witty line.. and I'm stunned. Good songwriting doesn't come easy. My sense of euphoria is not deep in that case or anything.. it's just recognizing something that sounds "awesome". Some songs are just epic.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Redbone sent me here. :)

I've had two distinctly different experiences sleeping with the radio on all night. The first involved NPR radio. In order to help myself sleep, I expected them to play some soothing light jazz or classical all night. Instead, sometime around 4 or 5 AM, while still asleep, I became subtly aware of a profoundly unpleasant disturbance emanating from deep within my soul. This slowly roused me from my sleep and I then became aware of the source - NPR had chosen to play some of the most ethnic and downright nauseating Mexican music you will ever hear. I have never listened to NPR since then.

The second experience was based on a similar kind of event. I turned on some talk radio to sleep to, and sometime in the middle of the night while still asleep I became aware of an extremely euphoric sensation. I slowly woke from my dream but not completely, because I did not want to spoil the moment. Playing on the radio was a Barbra Streisand duet which I don't normally respond to much at all while fully awake.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I experience it. I also have some musical training (piano, singing, even a couple of shorter attempts to play the clarinet and the bells) and my father was a musician. I don't know if this has anything to do with it.

I have a lot of Si association with certain older songs, so I have these intensely euphoric experiences listen to songs that I connect to past experiences or whatever.

Like this song. It might make you feel nothing, but because I associate it with things I felt and experienced when I was 18 or 20, it gives me a feeling of euphoria.

Just last night someone told me to listen to this song when I was sad, and maybe it has something to do with who told me to listen to the song (emotional association with the person), but this song made me feel euphoric and it was the very first time I had ever heard it, so I think it might actually be due to inherent qualities in the music:

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
What about synesthesia? Like hearing colors, smells, textures...? I think almost everyone feels euphoria with music, but there are some people who associate specific pitches & timbres with specific colors & things like that. The most I've ever had is feeling blue, watery sensations or dry, hot feelings listening to certain songs.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm almost positive that this happens to everyone, even if they don't tell you so. How could it not?

Maybe an exception of tone-deaf people - I have no idea.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
What about synesthesia? Like hearing colors, smells, textures...? I think almost everyone feels euphoria with music, but there are some people who associate specific pitches & timbres with specific colors & things like that. The most I've ever had is feeling blue, watery sensations or dry, hot feelings listening to certain songs.

I think I have mild synesthesia, and I also have really good capabilities for internal sensory imagery (like I can almost smell something by thinking about it, taste it, feel it) ...so yeah I don't know.