User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    Just totally pompous, egghead, overanalytical, boring, pseudo-profound music with the worst fans in the history of the world.
    What bands do you consider deep and profound? Genuinly curious.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

But I wasn't talking about them... I promise that when I said "classic rock", I had a particular type of music in mind... from the Allman Brothers are miles & miles away.

But I didn't say that either!!

& I didn't mean to imply that.

I said it "seemed" "realer" "to me", "when" I "was" a teenager... & it did, so what can I say?

Of course I know who they were influenced by. But I don't have to like OR respect everyone who someone I like was influenced by-- otherwise I'd eventually have to like every artist in the history of the world, since it's all connected.

The only grunge band I ever listen to now is Nirvana, & I do consider them great art which transcends a simple musical genre.
    Okay.

Well... what am I supposed to say? Talent & seriousness of intent are less important to me than the way the music sounds.
    Yes talent and seriousness of intent are less important to me than the way the music sounds, too, in what I choose to listen to. Which is why I listen to Bow Wow Wow and Alphaville as well as listening to more serious or complex music.

But I still have more overall musical respect for people who have more talent and put more effort into their music at the end of the day. I'll let you talk shit about Asia all day long, but you start saying the Marshall Tucker Band is crap, and I'll cut you, bro.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    What bands do you consider deep and profound? Genuinly curious.
    Honestly, I don't care about that in music. Or better yet, ALL good music (meaning, music I or any subjective listener likes) is profound, to whoever is struck by it. I think contemporary R&B is profound... dub music is profound. It has a sound that affects me. That's what music is supposed to do, affect people. Tool brings in a whole bunch of extra stuff that has nothing to do with the music. They're overly centered on ideas.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Okay.

[...]

I'll let you talk shit about Asia all day long, but you start saying the Marshall Tucker Band is crap, and I'll cut you, bro.
    sheesh. Can I stop defending myself now?

Stepped on a goddamn landmine in here.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Honestly, I don't care about that in music. Or better yet, ALL good music (meaning, music I like) is profound-- to whoever is struck by it. I think contemporary R&B is profound... dub music is profound. It has a sound that affects me. That's what music is supposed to do, affect people. Tool brings in a whole bunch of extra stuff that has nothing to do with the music. They're overly centered on ideas.
    I can completely dig what you're saying with this, the music that moves you is sacred to you...so it's not LOL when people have certain music they hold dear and you make fun of it, you just answered your question with why I was offended, actually...and while I don't think Tool is "cheesy" by any stretch of the imagination, I can entirely respect the argument that music can be ruined with too much cerebral politics...I often like music that "tells a story" which is another reason why I like guitar rock and folk music...

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

music is trashlicious when its metal on the pedal of a rope, jump and stroke, then you feeling whats real 'n you won't go back to him.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I can completely dig what you're saying with this, the music that moves you is sacred to you...so it's not LOL when people have certain music they hold dear and you make fun of it, you just answered your question with why I was offended, actually...and while I don't think Tool is "cheesy" by any stretch of the imagination, I can entirely respect the argument that music can be ruined with too much cerebral politics...I often like music that "tells a story" which is another reason why I like guitar rock and folk music...
    I do make fun of certain music sometimes... like Brokencyde as an extreme example (don't know if you've heard of them). But all I said here originally was:

"For some reason I don't have any nostalgic feelings connected with classic rock even though I listened to it a lot in 7th-9th grade. I think because I always found it kinda cheesy, since I was also listening to Nirvana & modern alt-rock at the time which to me had more emotion in it"

plus that comment about bikers & hair bands.

Maybe you thought I was an alt-rock bro h8ing on the old school. I actually hate most alt-rock, & I really don't listen to much rock at all. I mostly like pop, hip hop, R&B, electronic music, dub, assorted old stuff (jazz, folk, etc..), & different weird modern 'post-[genre]' stuff.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R82OM5tzcrk"]just because[/YOUTUBE]

Honestly, I don't care about that in music. Or better yet, ALL good music (meaning, music I or any subjective listener likes) is profound, to whoever is struck by it. I think contemporary R&B is profound... dub music is profound. It has a sound that affects me. That's what music is supposed to do, affect people. Tool brings in a whole bunch of extra stuff that has nothing to do with the music. They're overly centered on ideas.
    Tool affect people - both with their music and their ideas - thus they are profound. Why can't music also be a medium for ideas? They make great fucking music, why shouldn't they be able to add a thinking element to it?

Also I think contemporary R&B is both generic and complete bullshit. No personal attack, just my perspective.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Yeah I know, a lot of people think that.