Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    Yeah... but thanks to the radio where I grew up I'll always associate "classic rock" with Foreigner & Journey & music where it's 5 guys dressed like women playing to a crowd of bikers if you know what I mean... the 60's stuff I just call "60s stuff".

The 60s were gr8.
    Yeah which is why I separated Guitar Rock from the more generic "Classic Rock" on second thought. A lot of 70's music has a very serious, complex sound that required ENORMOUS TALENT. That's why I'm offended - it's not because of my personal taste. I like Human League, you can tell me they're cheesy all day, and I won't bat an eyelash. I'll agree with you and say "yeah but I like it."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

That's what I was saying, cheesy doesn't mean bad.

I mean, I posted a Mariah Carey song. To a lot of people Mariah Carey is the epitome of cheesy. I mean, I disagree, I think it's great, & not cheesy, but I would be undeterred by someone else calling it cheesy.

I'm a musician myself, so I respect talent... but it's irrelevant to being cheesy or not-cheesy. Like, Tool is a bunch of musical masterminds, & they're one of the cheesiest bands I can think of.

I can't remember exactly, but I think I originally said the cheesiness of classic rock (mistake in nomenclature) prevented me from having nostalgic memories tied to it. There's more involved in it than just cheesiness though, but that was the first thing that came to me.

I do think it's Lol that you're offended though. Why are you so easily annoyed at something so little?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

But the sum is: I AGREE WITH YOU!!@1!11!3

I can't think of anything you said I didn't agree with... except the Nirvana-killing-traditional-rock-n-roll thing.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I mean, I posted a Mariah Carey song. To a lot of people Mariah Carey is the epitome of cheesy. I mean, I disagree, I think it's great, & not cheesy, but I would be undeterred by someone else calling it cheesy.

I'm a musician myself, so I respect talent... but it's irrelevant to cheesy or not cheesy. Like, Tool is a bunch of musical masterminds, & they're one of the cheesiest bands I can think of.

I do think it's Lol that you're offended though. Why are you so easily annoyed at something so little?
    It's not little. I think it's undermining the talent of serious musicians who had a real message to their music. I can see you telling me that some of the 80's synth pop I like, as I said, is "cheesy"...because yeah, it's not very serious music. It's more catchy and happy, and I listen to it because it's happy and "light." I would agree with you, that even though I like that music, that it's cheesy.

However, I will not agree with you that the Allman Brothers or Boston are cheesy, no, I won't.

Also, saying that grunge was somehow transcendent from all that came before it, yes, seems musically ignorant, like you don't even know who those bands were actually influenced by. You're, in effect, disrespecting the musical influences on the people you're putting on a pedestal.

I take music history more seriously than you, and I tend to gauge "cheesy" or not by level of talent and seriousness put into music, lyrics, or both.

So yeah it bothers me, it's not little to me.

I'm a musician myself, so I respect talent... but it's irrelevant to being cheesy or not-cheesy. Like, Tool is a bunch of musical masterminds, & they're one of the cheesiest bands I can think of.

I can't remember exactly, but I think I originally said the cheesiness of classic rock (mistake in nomenclature) prevented me from having nostalgic memories tied to it. There's more involved in it than just cheesiness though, but that was the first thing that came to me.

I'm curious to hear what about Tool you find "cheesy" :P

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    I was thinking that too. But I'm finished here. I can see that this won't be productive.

Nirvana-killing-traditional-rock-n-roll
    Yep. I've complained about it for decades. You'd have to be a corpse not to have seen the entire market pivot when the Nirvana-grunge-horse shit hit the marketplace.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    However, I will not agree with you that the Allman Brothers or Boston are cheesy, no, I won't.
    But I wasn't talking about them... I promise that when I said "classic rock", I had a particular type of music in mind... from which the Allman Brothers are miles & miles away.

Also, saying that grunge was somehow transcendent from all that came before it,
    But I didn't say that either!!

& I didn't mean to imply that.

I said it "seemed" "realer" "to me", "when" I "was" a teenager... & it did, so what can I say?

yes, seems musically ignorant, like you don't even know who those bands were actually influenced by. You're, in effect, disrespecting the musical influences on the people you're putting on a pedestal.
    Of course I know who they were influenced by. But I don't have to like OR respect everyone who someone I like was influenced by-- otherwise I'd eventually have to like every artist in the history of the world, since it's all connected.

The only grunge band I ever listen to now is Nirvana, & I do consider them great art which transcends a simple musical genre.

I take music history more seriously than you, and I tend to gauge "cheesy" or not by level of talent and seriousness put into music, lyrics, or both.

So yeah it bothers me, it's not little to me.
    Well... what am I supposed to say? Talent & seriousness of intent are less important to me than the way the music sounds.

& you're right, I couldn't care less about music history. All that matters is the sound.

Your begging is futile; Your tears only make Marmie Dearest grow stronger.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    Just totally pompous, egghead, overanalytical, boring, pseudo-profound music with the worst fans in the history of the world.