Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    I think of it all as one continuum, that was only disrupted once grunge came around & made the hair bands GTFO. Also the classic rock station here played GNR & Aerosmith & all that mixed in w/ Led Zep & so on.

By the way, what's the radio genre for the Beatles? I never hear them on classic rock or oldies stations.
    Grunge was heavily influenced by 70's music. You're not big on music history, huh? No offense, but if you put 60's and 70's guitar rock in the same category as Hair Metal and 80's pop, you don't seem to have even been exposed to what I'm talking about...the music I'm talking about isn't cheesy, though I'll totally admit some of the 80's synth-pop I like can be cheesy, but that music is more "fun" than "intense."

The Beatles are considered 60's pop (or Mod) and you'd most likely hear their early stuff on a station that played "oldies" from the 50's and 60's that also played bebop, bubble gum, and Motown.

However, the Beatles' later stuff should be played on Classic Rock stations, and IME it usually is.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Wow, it actually had the bridge from Fantasy... yeah, totally total Valley Girl music for sure.
    No "Fantasy" had the chorus from this song. Mariah Carey loved this song when she was growing up which is why she sampled it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Grunge was heavily influenced by 70's music.
    Yeah... but grunge itself would never be confused with that stuff, they sound totally different except for some stylistic elements. It's pretty undisputed that when Nirvana (& to a lesser extent Pearl Jam, Soundgarden etc) came out, all the machismo-type "sex drugs & rock n roll" bands completely lost their place in the market. If you look before & after Nirvana, it's totally different. I mean, this is about market history rather than music history. Nirvana killed the traditional rock-N-roll market. It's borne out by how there were tons of Nirvana copycat bands with Kurt wannabes around all the way until ~2002 (Puddle of Mudd, Nickelback, ... can't remember any more).

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah... but grunge itself would never be confused with mainstream 70s or 80s music, they sound totally different except for some stylistic elements. It's pretty undisputed that when Nirvana (& to a lesser extent Pearl Jam, Soundgarden etc) came out, all the machismo-type "sex drugs & rock n roll" bands completely lost their place in the market. If you look before & after Nirvana, it's totally different. I mean, this is about market history rather than music history. Nirvana killed the traditional rock-N-roll market. It's borne out by how there were tons of Nirvana copycat bands with Kurt wannabes around all the way until ~2002 (Puddle of Mudd, Nickelback, ... can't remember any more).
    I don't think you know what you're talking about.

But okay.

What Grunge pushed out was Glam Rock, Hair Metal, and 80's pop.

Grunge goes back to the roots of Guitar Rock. Nirvana was also somewhat influenced by Punk and David Bowie.

Soundgarden and Pearl Jam have an undeniable Guitar Rock influence, if you actually look at the more serious, intense, and political Guitar Rock from the late 60's and 70's.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

No "Fantasy" had the chorus from this song. Mariah Carey loved this song when she was growing up which is why she sampled it.
    ...... um, what I meant was Mariah took the "i'm in heaven w/ my boyfriend" part, which is the bridge in Fantasy. It also takes the chink-a-chink guitar part & uses that as the backbone.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

But okay.
    Lol. What did I get wrong???

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Lol. What did I get wrong???
    I edited the post. But you seem to think the underlying sound of Grunge was somehow "new" or more "serious" or maybe political...and yes, it is more serious or political than Hair Metal and most Glam Rock.

However, in many ways it's similar to Punk and 70's Guitar Rock, and my friends who are professional musicians listen to both kinds of music just like I do.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Are you mad that I said I thought classic rock (or what I thought of as classic rock) was cheesy? I can't help it!

EDIT, no I don't think it's more serious, there's a ton of cheesy grunge. But when I was an early teenager it sounded "realer" if you know what I mean.

A lot of the stuff I listened to then is laughable to me today, but a lot I still enojy.

EDIT again, also just because something's cheesy doesn't make it bad. esp. when it's really over the top like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XcKBmdfpWs

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Are you mad that I said I thought classic rock (or what I thought of as classic rock) was cheesy? I can't help it!
    No I'm not mad. I just don't think Jimmy Hendrix or Led Zepplin are cheesy, and that it's musically ignorant to put them in the same category as Guns N Roses or Genesis.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Yeah... but thanks to the radio where I grew up I'll always associate "classic rock" with Foreigner & Journey & music where it's 5 guys dressed like women playing to a crowd of bikers if you know what I mean... the 60's stuff I just call "60s stuff".

The 60s were gr8.