First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

No, what is it?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

For some reason I don't have any nostalgic feelings connected with classic rock even though I listened to it a lot in 7th-9th grade. I think because I always found it kinda cheesy, since I was also listening to Nirvana & modern alt-rock at the time which to me had more emotion in it. No music sounds more emotionally robotic to me than stuff like Genesis, Journey, Guns N Roses (actually they're just undyingly cheesy), Moody Blues, Eddie Money, Aerosmith (though they have some neat songs) etc.

However, John Cougar Mellancamp is the tits.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Kinda silly early 80's pop, I kind of put it in the same category of "I Want Candy" by Bow Wow Wow or "I Know What Boys Like" by the Waitresses. I think of it as Valley Girl music.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    For some reason I don't have any nostalgic feelings connected with classic rock even though I listened to it a lot in 7th-9th grade. I think because I always found it kinda cheesy, since I was also listening to Nirvana & modern alt-rock at the time which to me had more emotion in it. No music sounds more emotionally robotic to me than stuff like Genesis, Journey, Guns N Roses (actually they're just undyingly cheesy), Moody Blues, Eddie Money, Aerosmith (though they have some neat songs) etc.
    Classic rock is like Jackson Browne, Led Zepplin, The Who, Boston, Styx...I wasn't even thinking of Guns N Roses, which is Hair Metal, and Genesis is like 80's pop, I don't consider it "guitar rock" at all. Guitar rock generally refers to the late 60's and 70's.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Also, I listened to Nirvana in high school so I consider it the music of my generation, but I don't think any Nirvana song has "more" emotion than "Dream On" by Aerosmith, though we could argue equal emotion.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Classic rock is like Jackson Browne, Led Zepplin, The Who, Boston, Styx...I wasn't even thinking of Guns N Roses, which is Hair Metal, and Genesis is like 80's pop, I don't consider it "guitar rock" at all. Guitar rock generally refers to the late 60's and 70's.
    I think of it all as one continuum, that was only disrupted once grunge came around & made the hair bands GTFO. Also the classic rock station here played GNR & Aerosmith & all that mixed in w/ Led Zep & so on.

By the way, what's the radio genre for the Beatles? I never hear them on classic rock or oldies stations.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Also, I listened to Nirvana in high school so I consider it the music of my generation, but I don't think any Nirvana song has "more" emotion than "Dream On" by Aerosmith, though we could argue equal emotion.

I will argue far, far greater emotion!

Nah..

But Nirvana tend to draw hardcore emotionally-invested fans in a way I've never seen any other band do. Particularly among unhappy teenagers.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    I will argue far, far greater emotion!

Nah..

But Nirvana tend to draw hardcore emotionally-invested fans in a way I've never seen any other band do. Particularly among unhappy teenagers.
    I think the Nirvana emotional investments stems more from the events surrounding the music(Kurt Cobain's depression and aversion to commercial fame/success) than the actual content of the music itself, but that's not to say that they don't have emotionally charged songs.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

They have a special effect on people because their songs combine anger with deeper emotions (more sensitive ones), while also using a melodic / harmonic language that's unlike any other band's (prob. half of their songs use notes outside the tonic key or else change keys, or resolve to unusual notes in the key... & a lot of their riffs are based on unusual chord progressions like Lithium for example which is E, G#, C#, A, C, D, B, D... etc.. I could talk all day)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Kinda silly early 80's pop, I kind of put it in the same category of "I Want Candy" by Bow Wow Wow or "I Know What Boys Like" by the Waitresses. I think of it as Valley Girl music.

Wow, it actually had the bridge from Fantasy... yeah, totally total Valley Girl music for sure.