User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I'm almost positive that this happens to everyone, even if they don't tell you so. How could it not?

Maybe an exception of tone-deaf people - I have no idea.
    You mean general euphoria or synesthesia (in resp. to my post)?

(EDIT: nevermind.. ^)

I don't know, I've seen that very emotionally 'regular' people (not Thinkers necessarily, but people who're always socially cheerful or always at the same level of positive mood) tend not to have as much visceral response to music as more anxious, unsettled, passionate, etc. people. They aren't hit so much by it.

I'm going particularly by experience with my mom. I'll play her some piece of music that blew me away, & she'll be sitting there calmly the whole time & when it's over she might say, "that was a nice song" (or "that was weird"-- but totally unmoved / unimpressed).

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

how do you quantify euphoria such that you can compare it between people?

I suppose you mean subjective assessment of euphoria, where the obvious problem is interpretation. Maybe some people tend to be less dramatic in their descriptions of a similar feeling than others do.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    how do you quantify euphoria such that you can compare it between people?

I suppose you mean subjective assessment of euphoria, where the obvious problem is interpretation. Maybe some people tend to be less dramatic in their descriptions of a similar feeling than others do.
    If you had some brain-measuring devices you could quantify it... but subjective self-report is good enough I think...

I think it's a scientific fallacy to suppose that everyone hears the same thing in the same way... to begin with, everyone's ears are physically different in some small way & therefore slightly slightly unique, therefore they literally hear different sound, & then the way their individual brains process the sound will be unique to an even greater degree... so even if the same sound signal reaches two people's brains, the way it impacts them could differ dramatically.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

(Not that you said otherwise though.)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    You mean general euphoria or synesthesia (in resp. to my post)?

(EDIT: nevermind.. ^)

I don't know, I've seen that very emotionally 'regular' people (not Thinkers necessarily, but people who're always socially cheerful or always at the same level of positive mood) tend not to have as much visceral response to music as more anxious, unsettled, passionate, etc. people. They aren't hit so much by it.

I'm going particularly by experience with my mom. I'll play her some piece of music that blew me away, & she'll be sitting there calmly the whole time & when it's over she might say, "that was a nice song" (or "that was weird"-- but totally unmoved / unimpressed).
    No some people aren't as affected by music as others, it's true.

I've actually had people tell me that they don't care about music. I'm just like ...really? HOW?

It's what separates someone with what used to be called "an artistic temperament" from most people.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Personally, this happens to me a lot, yet I'm pretty sure it happens to everyone at one point or another, with the only difference between the frequency and intensity. While in the midst of it some my view it as some sort of cathartic experience, while for others it may be nothing more than a fuzzy afterthought.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    No some people aren't as affected by music as others, it's true.

I've actually had people tell me that they don't care about music. I'm just like ...really? HOW?

It's what separates someone with what used to be called "an artistic temperament" from most people.
    Yeah!

What's your reaction to this song:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq09UkPRdFY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq09UkPRdFY[/YOUTUBE]

I used to get crazy euphoria from that tune. CRAZY!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    Personally, this happens to me a lot, yet I'm pretty sure it happens to everyone at one point or another, with the only difference between the frequency and intensity. While in the midst of it some my view it as some sort of cathartic experience, while for others it may be nothing more than a fuzzy afterthought.
    Yeah, I find it particularly interesting when you're drunk-- everything's all loose & watery like you're swimming in it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Yeah, I find it particularly interesting when you're drunk-- everything's all loose & watery like you're swimming in it.
    Well, stimulants can produce the same sort of euphoric effect, but I think most of the time, at least personally, it's brought on by matching a particular mood with a song that compliments it. Sort of like solving some sort of artistic/cognitive rubic cube in which the perfect combination unlocks that sensation.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah!

What's your reaction to this song:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq09UkPRdFY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq09UkPRdFY[/YOUTUBE]

I used to get crazy euphoria from that tune. CRAZY!
    Mariah Carey has a very uplifting voice, and I used to experience that listening to "Love Takes Time" which is one of her earliest songs. Like I said, a lot of my euphoria is connected to songs which were meaningful to me at certain points in my life, or that I grew up with. So I have this reaction a lot to many classic guitar rock songs from the 70's (I have no recollection of the 1970's of course but I listened to a lot of classic rock growing up, especially in high school) and early 80's synth-pop, and songs from the 90's which were meaningful to me in my teen years.

I base how much I like a song on how intensely it makes me feel, or what it conjures up for me.

But then there are songs like that Sigur Ros song which I immediately had a "euphoric" reaction to from a purely musical perspective.

I also get an intense feeling of well-being when I sing.

Have you heard the original song that was sampled for "Fantasy"?