User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

What do you think of their music? You only mentioned you disliked them for being overly intellectual, can't you just ignore the lyrics?

I mean, since you don't seem to care about them. You find R&B profound but there aren't many Bob Dylans or Nick Caves in that genre; obviously you focus on the music.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    Maybe you thought I was an alt-rock bro h8ing on the old school. I actually hate most alt-rock, & I really don't listen to much rock at all. I mostly like pop, hip hop, R&B, electronic music, dub, assorted old stuff (jazz, folk, etc..), & different weird modern 'post-[genre]' stuff.
    Yeah that's what I was thinking. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

That's cool that you like jazz. My dad was a jazz musician.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    What do you think of their music? You only mentioned you disliked them for being overly intellectual, can't you just ignore the lyrics?

I mean, since you don't seem to care about them. You find R&B profound but there aren't many Bob Dylans or Nick Caves in that genre; obviously you focus on the music.
    I personally love Tool but I can see where he's coming from in a more general sense. I'm actually put off by certain bands for "trying too hard" to be political or whatever, it strikes me as pretentious (I won't say who because I don't like to insult other people's taste in music, because of my own deep attachment to what I love musically) ...like one of the reasons I love guitar rock is that it tells straight-forward stories about love relationships, families, traveling, life moments, etc.

So I'm guessing he might like R&B for a similar reason...I mean when I listen to 80's synth pop I'm specifically listening to it to get away from seriousness or people's various messages.

I love Nick Cave and Bob Dylan, though, too.

I can just see where he's coming from, because I feel that way about some more current bands. I largely want the emotional and the personal and the real-life story rather than the guy pontificating about the state of the union.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    I don't like their music. I respect the musicianship, but there are other bands who do similar odd metric & polyrhythmic stuff & tempo shifts whose music is more enjoyable to me.

It's hard to explain precisely what makes me dislike it.

Because it's not very overt. It's not a "being hit over the head" kind of dislike as with (e.g) Brokencyde or Nickelback. Those dislikes are obvious. I could talk about them all day, & enjoy myself.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I don't like their music. I respect the musicianship, but there are other bands who do similar odd metric & polyrhythmic stuff & tempo shifts whose music is more enjoyable to me.

It's hard to explain precisely what makes me dislike it.

Because it's not very overt. It's not a "being hit over the head" kind of dislike as with (e.g) Brokencyde or Nickelback. Those dislikes are obvious. I could talk about them all day, & enjoy myself.
    My old roommates used to say whenever something went wrong that Nickelback did it. It got to the point that we'd just look at each other and say "Nickelback."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    My old roommates used to say whenever something went wrong that Nickelback did it. It got to the point that we'd just look at each other and say "Nickelback."

Yeah, Nickelback is a musical H-bomb... Chad Kroeger's voice should be sent to outer space as a warning against possible invaders...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah, Nickelback is a musical H-bomb... Chad Kroeger's voice should be sent to outer space as a warning against possible invaders...
    BUT EVERYBODY WANNA BE BIG ROCK STARS!!!

Just realised something. When I listen to music that reeks of testosterone, it has the same effect as when I meet a guy who reeks of it.

*snarls, stalks and prowls*

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    BUT EVERYBODY WANNA BE BIG ROCK STARS!!!
    Ahh man... that was when they finally jumped the shark. They were always bad, but they just ascended to a completely new level with that song. I remember cringing with embarrassment, not just for the band, but for MYSELF somehow when I heard that song... like it tapped into some part of me that was identical to the song, & made me confront it..

In other words, a typical Fi reaction

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Ahh man... that was when they finally jumped the shark. They were always bad, but they just ascended to a completely new level with that song. I remember cringing with embarrassment, not just for the band, but for MYSELF somehow when I heard that song... like it tapped into some part of me that was identical to the song, & made me confront it..

In other words, a typical Fi reaction
    When I first heard that song I thought, "Is this a parody? This is a real song?"