• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are You Effing Serious?!?!?!

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
hey man, i've been waiting for a white meteor man for years. at least some other completely unnecessary 'progress' is being made.

E

Epiphany

He can't be a worse Spiderman than Tobey MaGuire. Personally, I think they should just stop making Spiderman movies.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
spiderman is white so i dont think it would pretty weird that a black dude would play him, i wonder if some people want chinese or indian spiderman..

P

Phantonym

Hey, it's a Spider-Man movie #gazillion, right? Why not, everybody wants a piece of the pie. Every actor on earth should have the chance to play Spider-Man, as long as there's somebody willing to pay for it to happen. No problem, it's not as if anybody is forcing you to watch the movie if it is made...but you will, oh, you most definitely will. :laugh:

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I'd like to see a Spiderman who's OPENLY gay.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Here's the thing, though. Donald Glover is awesome. I could totally see him in a role like that. He'd bring more humor to it than Tobey MacGuire, too.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'd hate to see anyone but Tobey Maguire play the role. He's so perfect in it. But if they have to replace him, I don't see why a black Spider Man wouldn't be okay.

spin-1/2-nuclei

MBTI Type
INTJ
Does it matter a lot?

Not really - at least in my opinion. Personally I think a Japanese spider man would be awesome too! They could make the movie in Tokyo, there would be a lot more buildings to incorporate into the action scenes!

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
I was like WTH at first... then they said it was a reboot of the franchise. Oh joy. Now I have to see the SAME first episode over again. For like the 500th time.

Seriously, every single comic, every tv series, every movie, they all start with the exact same plotline to the point it's making my eyes bleed.

GET A NEW SCRIPT!

If they're doing a reboot and want to remake the whole series, similar to batman? Then sure. Go ahead, they can do anything they want. It's not the same spiderman at all anymore, it's just a new character with vaguely similar features who just happens to have the same name.

Honestly, I think they should ditch the "reboot" crap they've been doing, and work on the spinoff series.

There aren't many movies I want to see about superheroes. Honestly, the only one I'm honestly really looking for, is Ghostrider 2099, since the 2099 series was epic win <3

But it was short lived enough it's unlikely they'll ever bother. Such a shame ;_;

ghostrider20997.jpg

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
:doh: I feel like this is what happens when movie ideas are completely run through. "Lets make a sequel - okay cool" and then it's "Let's remake it, but with black people - Yea. Totally different"
It gets tiring. Maybe if they hadn't just popped out 3 Spiderman movies it could be okay to revamp, but seriously?

Eh.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I don't see the controversy.

Peter Parker is a fictitious character, invariably created to represent and appeal to a certain audience. Ethnicity is somewhat arbitrary to what the audience prefers; isn't this petition precisely what the filmmakers should consider, when deciding on casting direction for Spiderman?

I get that he didn't begin as a black character. So, what?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Who cares? Starbuck wasn't a woman in the original Battlestar Galactica, either. But the new Starbuck kicked WAY more ass than the old one. I don't see how whiteness is integral to the character of Peter Parker. It's not like he's an historical figure or anything.

Although, even then, this guy on the left made a pretty good JFK:

bubba_hotep_02.jpg

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't even see it as "let's have a specifically black Spiderman!" I see it as, "Hey, Donald Glover would be a pretty kickass Peter Parker, so let's get this guy an audition!" He's not right for the role because OF his blackness, he's right for the role because his personality and skills suit it.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I don't even see it as "let's have a specifically black Spiderman!" I see it as, "Hey, Donald Glover would be a pretty kickass Peter Parker, so let's get this guy an audition!" He's not right for the role because OF his blackness, he's right for the role because his personality and skills suit it.

This is a really good point.

Maybe someone could clarify why ethnicity is central to the character, such that a non-white casting choice is controversial?

Atomic Fiend

One of the highest ranking government officials in Marvels movie canon as well as the Ultimate Universe is Nick Fury, who is black in both of those universes, but not black in the 616 universe. Notice how Sammy J didn't even really act when he appeared in the Iron Man films, but was just sort of playing himself, not the Nick that comic loyalist have grown to love. That bugged me far more then anything else in the film, but still people didn't complain about it. Spidey is a little different what with public perception of him being more... concrete. I don't think Spidey has ever been black, he's been Japanese twice, old, Indian, a teen, and Latin in 2099. So this would actually be a first.

How I feel about it... I don't really care either way, mostly because I was disgusted about why Sony made the revamps in the first place, to keep the franchise out of Marvel Studios (The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man and it's sequels, and the upcoming Capetian America, Punisher War Zone, Thor, and Avengers films) hands. Fox owns Daredevil and Fantastic Four and I hear rumors of them attempting the same thing. So long before any news of casting and lower budget then the previous films I wasn't a fan of the idea of a reboot solely to keep a property.

At the end of the day though, it's a movie, and if race TRULY doesn't matter, then the part should go to the person best suited for it, race aside.

strawberries

shadow boxer
MBTI Type
----
spiders aren't white - except albino ones i guess.

i don't get the issue here. cast on merit - if a black actor rocks it - hire him.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Maybe someone could clarify why ethnicity is central to the character, such that a non-white casting choice is controversial?

It's not really about ethnicity. It's about fanboy apoplexy at anything in such a flawed, commercial medium as a movie deviating one iota from what's in the original sanctified comic book.

/melodrama