User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Does it matter a lot?
    Not really - at least in my opinion. Personally I think a Japanese spider man would be awesome too! They could make the movie in Tokyo, there would be a lot more buildings to incorporate into the action scenes!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

I was like WTH at first... then they said it was a reboot of the franchise. Oh joy. Now I have to see the SAME first episode over again. For like the 500th time.

Seriously, every single comic, every tv series, every movie, they all start with the exact same plotline to the point it's making my eyes bleed.

GET A NEW SCRIPT!

If they're doing a reboot and want to remake the whole series, similar to batman? Then sure. Go ahead, they can do anything they want. It's not the same spiderman at all anymore, it's just a new character with vaguely similar features who just happens to have the same name.

Honestly, I think they should ditch the "reboot" crap they've been doing, and work on the spinoff series.

There aren't many movies I want to see about superheroes. Honestly, the only one I'm honestly really looking for, is Ghostrider 2099, since the 2099 series was epic win <3

But it was short lived enough it's unlikely they'll ever bother. Such a shame ;_;

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

I feel like this is what happens when movie ideas are completely run through. "Lets make a sequel - okay cool" and then it's "Let's remake it, but with black people - Yea. Totally different"
    It gets tiring. Maybe if they hadn't just popped out 3 Spiderman movies it could be okay to revamp, but seriously?

Eh.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I don't see the controversy.

Peter Parker is a fictitious character, invariably created to represent and appeal to a certain audience. Ethnicity is somewhat arbitrary to what the audience prefers; isn't this petition precisely what the filmmakers should consider, when deciding on casting direction for Spiderman?

I get that he didn't begin as a black character. So, what?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Who cares? Starbuck wasn't a woman in the original Battlestar Galactica, either. But the new Starbuck kicked WAY more ass than the old one. I don't see how whiteness is integral to the character of Peter Parker. It's not like he's an historical figure or anything.

Although, even then, this guy on the left made a pretty good JFK:

The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTP

I don't even see it as "let's have a specifically black Spiderman!" I see it as, "Hey, Donald Glover would be a pretty kickass Peter Parker, so let's get this guy an audition!" He's not right for the role because OF his blackness, he's right for the role because his personality and skills suit it.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I don't even see it as "let's have a specifically black Spiderman!" I see it as, "Hey, Donald Glover would be a pretty kickass Peter Parker, so let's get this guy an audition!" He's not right for the role because OF his blackness, he's right for the role because his personality and skills suit it.
    This is a really good point.

Maybe someone could clarify why ethnicity is central to the character, such that a non-white casting choice is controversial?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

One of the highest ranking government officials in Marvels movie canon as well as the Ultimate Universe is Nick Fury, who is black in both of those universes, but not black in the 616 universe. Notice how Sammy J didn't even really act when he appeared in the Iron Man films, but was just sort of playing himself, not the Nick that comic loyalist have grown to love. That bugged me far more then anything else in the film, but still people didn't complain about it. Spidey is a little different what with public perception of him being more... concrete. I don't think Spidey has ever been black, he's been Japanese twice, old, Indian, a teen, and Latin in 2099. So this would actually be a first.

How I feel about it... I don't really care either way, mostly because I was disgusted about why Sony made the revamps in the first place, to keep the franchise out of Marvel Studios (The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man and it's sequels, and the upcoming Capetian America, Punisher War Zone, Thor, and Avengers films) hands. Fox owns Daredevil and Fantastic Four and I hear rumors of them attempting the same thing. So long before any news of casting and lower budget then the previous films I wasn't a fan of the idea of a reboot solely to keep a property.

At the end of the day though, it's a movie, and if race TRULY doesn't matter, then the part should go to the person best suited for it, race aside.

MBTI
    ----

spiders aren't white - except albino ones i guess.

i don't get the issue here. cast on merit - if a black actor rocks it - hire him.

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Maybe someone could clarify why ethnicity is central to the character, such that a non-white casting choice is controversial?
    It's not really about ethnicity. It's about fanboy apoplexy at anything in such a flawed, commercial medium as a movie deviating one iota from what's in the original sanctified comic book.

/melodrama
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari