• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

WORLD CUP 2010

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
:yay::yay::yay::banana2::banana2::banana2::static::static::static:

God the tension nearly killed me!

As much as I'd like to claim this result is all due to our fantastic defence (which did do remarkably well under such pressure - Paston was on fire! :rock: ) the Italians lacked any real finishing power. There just wasn't much imagination to their attack. And of course they cheated as much as possible. :rolli: I wish Fallon would keep his friggin elbows down so the Italian backs couldn't desperately throw themselves upon them at every opportunity. I have no illusions though, we weren't that great on attack but definitely improved on the last game. Watch out Paraguay! :workout: :D

What a bizarre world cup. All the big guns have proven rather inept. No team has totally dominated or played convincingly on a consistant basis. What's to blame? The ball? The altitude? Player arrogance? The vuvuzelas? :huh:

wolfy

awsm
Italy vs NZ. It was a fun game to watch, I didn't expect it. The drunk kiwis with their tshirts off, swinging them the air being my own favourite highlight.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
7-0 to Portugal! How do you like that?! What a come back!

Most Argentininans are of Italian descent, btw, as far as I know

I actually heard they're Spaniads.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
N Korea had one bad half. They may well still shock Ivory Coast though. We'll have to see hwo their confidence holds up.

I actually heard they're Spaniads.

There were slightly more Italian immigrants to Argentina than Spanish. Phonetically, the most similair accent in the world to the Buenos Aires accent is the Napoli one, not any other Spanish speaking accent.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Argentinians: Italians that speak Spanish, live in South America and want to be English. (Except at football.)

I believe Spanish immigration was slightly higher than Italian. That said, the Argentines have a national immigration day to celebrate their diversity, which includes many pockets of Germans, Welsh and Jews, among others.

however, the fact that they speak Spanish with an Italian slant (not the other way around) should be the biggest clue.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Finally a nice enough played game by Portugal. They better play offensively with Brazil too.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
N Korea had one bad half. They may well still shock Ivory Coast though. We'll have to see hwo their confidence holds up.

The North Koreans will be indignant about this loss and play offensively against Ivory Coast, surely enough they're going to get decimated then.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
The North Koreans will be indignant about this loss and play offensively against Ivory Coast, surely enough they're going to get decimated then.

They didn't look that idnignant, but I bow to your crystal ball.

I believe Spanish immigration was slightly higher than Italian...however, the fact that they speak Spanish with an Italian slant (not the other way around) should be the biggest clue.

I'm pretty sure Italians were the largest group. I studied this history at an Argentine school btw. :tongue:

Argentina speaks spanish because the region was colonized by the Spanish and has been independent since 1816 with a spanish-descended ruling class, wheras mass immigration only started 100 years later, by which time Spanish was the mandatory language all immigrants had to learn and Argentina was long established as a Spanish speaking country.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
A brazilian friend of mine said that a common ironic way to define Argentinians is "a buch of Italians who think they're English but speak Spanish"

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
A brazilian friend of mine said that a common ironic way to define Argentinians is "a buch of Italians who think they're English but speak Spanish"

It's not a great definition by any means.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
I'm pretty sure Italians were the largest group. I studied this history at an Argentine school btw. :tongue:

Argentina speaks spanish because the region was colonized by the Spanish and has been independent since 1812 with a spanish-descended ruling class, wheras mass immigration only started 100 years later, by which time Spanish was the mandatory language all immigrants had to learn and Argentina was long established as a Spanish speaking country.

Apologies for the lazy research from Wiki, which says:

The majority of immigrants, since the 19th century, came from Europe, mostly from Italy and Spain. Also notable were Jewish immigrants escaping persecution. The total population of Argentina rose from 4 million in 1895 to 7.9 million in 1914, and to 15.8 million in 1947; during this time the country was settled by 1.5 million Spaniards and 1.4 million Italians, as well as Poles, Russians, French (more than 100,000 each), Germans and Austrians (also more than 100,000), Portuguese, Greek, Ukrainians, Yugoslavians, Czechs, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, English, Dutch, Scandinavians, and people from other European and Middle Eastern countries. Argentine immigration records includes those from Australia and North America (the USA).

By that account they are pretty evenly distributed. That said, aparently 60% of Argentinians have an Italian forefather. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the wiki-wiki. Immigration to Argentina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Spain look confident. Their game vs Chile will be very interesting.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Thanks, keep me posted on any tirade that the dear leader may subject his people to.

What do we all think about the discombobulated state the French squad is in?