• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

WORLD CUP 2010

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^^^Perhaps they are jsut forced to go on parades and to say that? It would hardly be unheard of. So what's your convincing evidence that North Koreans really think what their government tells you they think?
Perhaps in many cases they have a legitimate desire to defend their state from takeover by the IMF and World Bank. This doesn't mean they all actually think it's a "paradise" or believe in Juche..

I think its persuasive that they believe in Juche and their government because they have no reason not to, non-propagandistic sources are very scarce as the government has nearly full control over public information.

^^^Perhaps in many cases they have a legitimate desire to defend their state from takeover by the IMF and World Bank. This doesn't mean they all actually think it's a "paradise" or believe in Juche...

They have anti-Western views that haven't been inspired by the government? How? Were they exposed to a source of information other than the government somehow? Very few of them may have been, but I just don't see how a significant percentage of North Koreans could have.

^^^So I am asking seriously, are you an expert in this? and if so, you'd be able to recommend a good book or article or something backing up your claims.

No, but the information I am giving you is consistent with expert consensus, this is why I am asking you to watch youtube videos created by BBC, National Geographic and other reliable journalistic sources. The videos are readily available on youtube. The journalists weren't experts, but they interviewed experts.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
I thought this thread was meant to be about football, not politics... :rolli:

For my on topic comment, I thought Argentina look particularly impressive, especially going forward. I'm not so sure about their defense and goalkeeper, but on current evidence they may not be really tested for a long time in this tournament.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I thought this thread was meant to be about football, not politics... :rolli:.

I don't think you can separate the two, the game would not be nearly as popular in the world had it not had such profound sociopolitical connotations.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
I don't think you can separate the two, the game would not be nearly as popular in the world had it not had such profound sociopolitical connotations.

Possibly, but this thread appears to be for discussing the world cup itself, not "The International sociopolitical connotations of Football", which sounds like a separate debate topic to me.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
[France VS. Mexico.]

Oh, damn.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
i don't usually watch soccer matches unless it's the world cup, and I'd like to make a remark

It is absolutely HILARIOUS to watch all the fake injuries. Especially the ones from the "fights". it's like a few slaps and a guy goes down like he's been shot. they'll show it on instant replay and it's absolutely hilarious to see it not add up. Are they pussies? No, they're athletes performing in front of a billion or more people.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
France is ALWAYS a slow starting team. ).

Maybe true, but now they are not only a slow starting team but also an altogether underperforming squad.

Even when it achieves excellent results overall, it never topped its group and looked rather disappointing at first glance.

It seems that the problem is deeper than that in the present world cup and so it has been in the EURO cup.

It is brilliant only when it reaches quarter-finals or more. .

It appears that its a little too late, brilliance in the quarter-finals is worthless if you're going to put an absolutely dismal show in the first games.

That's probably why Brazil always lost against France when it had the honor to cross its path (But, on the other hand, the nemesis of France is Germany).

They didn't even look like a team that could stand a chance against a European super-power like Germany, let alone Brazil. No, really, the first apologetic claim you made on the French team's behalf was completely understandable, they just needed some time to get their game together as many teams did, many teams struggled in the opening performance. We could buy that, but what on earth happened this time? Seems like more than a mere losing streak or a bad tournament as they got virtually the same result in the EURO cup. At least that time they scored one goal, this time they may well be on their way to a new low.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Apologies to ragashree, but Ima do this anyway.:yes:

I think its persuasive that they believe in Juche and their government because they have no reason not to, non-propagandistic sources are very scarce as the government has nearly full control over public information.

They have anti-Western views that haven't been inspired by the government? How? Were they exposed to a source of information other than the government somehow? Very few of them may have been, but I just don't see how a significant percentage of North Koreans could have.

No, but the information I am giving you is consistent with expert consensus, this is why I am asking you to watch youtube videos created by BBC, National Geographic and other reliable journalistic sources. The videos are readily available on youtube. The journalists weren't experts, but they interviewed experts.

I think you're being very rationalist, assuming that people simply choose the best from a set of ideas presented to them.

However the Korean people had a social reovlution on the promise of equality and social ownership of the means of production, not in order to install a personaliy cult. It is unlikely for this memory to have disappeared completely. Likewise they can in many cases now see that a tiny bureaucracy lives in luxury, even reserving the right to use the elegant Pyongyang metro system purely for its own use. And you're telling me that there's no way that a great number of people of people could silently (at least, to the outside world silently), resent this?

Plenty of revolutions inhsitory did not happen because of an enlightened set of rational philosophies being presented from the outside, but rather because the people percieved injsutice instinctively and becuase their suffering became too much to bear. Do you think the Chinese workers and students who set up the Commune of Shanghai in 1967 were acting on the basis of foreign news sources, or on their own instinctive drive for equality and control over the wealth they created? (And in part on the memory of the original reovlutionary struggle in the country). In fact the main riving force here was that the masses percieved the contradiicton between the words of the regime, and its actions.

Now I am not saying that in itself a "national" movement, isolated form others, is neough. That would be the antithesis of what I think. But neither do I buy that people simply select, rationally, between different schools of thought offered to them. Rather that human consciousness is contradictory, confused, and ofen instinctive. Examples from other former very isolated states like Albania would seem to back me up on this.

Regarding the reports you mention, BBC is far form reliable. The BBC is actually terribly dishonest. For example they constantly refer to the resistance fighters ina fghanistan as "the Taliban", despite the US army having admitted that the great majority ar enot religiously motivated. Likewise the BBC with regards to Thailand, reported that the cause of the recent problems was "a corrupt populist President sowing hatred for the rich amongst the poor", as its main editorial line.

Nat Geographic is perhaps more interesting. But I was thinking more of a serious study, seeing as you spoke with such certainty.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
It is absolutely HILARIOUS to watch all the fake injuries. Especially the ones from the "fights". it's like a few slaps and a guy goes down like he's been shot. they'll show it on instant replay and it's absolutely hilarious to see it not add up. Are they pussies? No, they're athletes performing in front of a billion or more people.

It is a funny display, isn't it?

In most cases, it's strategy designed to facilitate a free kick - something that could feasibly change the outcome of the game. So, although it looks silly - especially on slow-motion replay - "diving" is actually an integral part of many successful soccer teams.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Thread is overdue for a split.
(ragashree is not alone.)

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram

In most cases, it's strategy designed to facilitate a free kick - something that could feasibly change the outcome of the game. So, although it looks silly - especially on slow-motion replay - "diving" is actually an integral part of many successful soccer teams.

Ha, yeah..it is a good stretegy. We're kind of told to do the same thing in soccer too.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
However the Korean people had a social reovlution on the promise of equality and social ownership of the means of production, not in order to install a personaliy cult. It is unlikely for this memory to have disappeared completely. Likewise they can in many cases now see that a tiny bureaucracy lives in luxury, even reserving the right to use the elegant Pyongyang metro system purely for its own use. And you're telling me that there's no way that a great number of people of people could silently (at least, to the outside world silently), resent this?..

I think that you're making a very good argument that's forcing me to re-think my previous position. People indeed are capable of recognizing injustice instinctively and by virtue of their basic observations. However, we must note that the more supressive the government is, the more these abilities of the people are limited. The government is fully capable of terrorizing the people into avoiding have subversive thoughts and I fear that Kim has succeeded in this endeavor.

Plenty of revolutions inhsitory did not happen because of an enlightened set of rational philosophies being presented from the outside, but rather because the people percieved injsutice instinctively and becuase their suffering became too much to bear. Do you think the Chinese workers and students who set up the Commune of Shanghai in 1967 were acting on the basis of foreign news sources, or on their own instinctive drive for equality and control over the wealth they created? (And in part on the memory of the original reovlutionary struggle in the country). In fact the main riving force here was that the masses percieved the contradiicton between the words of the regime, and its actions..

There is a one important difference between the case you cited and that of the present-day North Korea. China is a very big country with a large population, yet Korea by contrast has a population of approximately 20 million and its territory is very limited. I would conjecture that it is much easier to achieve thought-control over the North Koreans than over the Chinese which leads me to think that your comparison is imprecise. The remonstrates of the Chinese in the late 60s does not have a great deal of predictive power with respect to what will happen in North Korea and we should not use the Chinese scenario as a model for understanding the sociopolitical climate of North Korea.

Regarding the reports you mention, BBC is far form reliable. The BBC is actually terribly dishonest. For example they constantly refer to the resistance fighters ina fghanistan as "the Taliban", despite the US army having admitted that the great majority ar enot religiously motivated. Likewise the BBC with regards to Thailand, reported that the cause of the recent problems was "a corrupt populist President sowing hatred for the rich amongst the poor", as its main editorial line.

Nat Geographic is perhaps more interesting. But I was thinking more of a serious study, seeing as you spoke with such certainty.

My claim wasn't based on the opinions of journalists, but on that of the experts that they interviewed. I assume that they may have falsified their credentials or taken their claims wildly out of context, but then again, as dishonest as BBC may be, I don't know if they'd sink that low. Regarding a serious study, that's likely not feasible at the moment as even the most rudimentary statistical information about North Korea is difficult to procure.

[removed]

What, you don't think that the Italians dive incessantly and should be held accountable for their mischief?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R5AjFoQNYc&feature=related"]:D[/YOUTUBE]

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE

OMG, I love how players fall down flat, then look up and around to see who's watching, then get up like nothing happened when there's not ref. It TOTALLY reminds me of naughty children.

I laughed when I saw a Greek player do a creative 'non-foul' move by literally falling backwards (with his hands up, he knew what he was doing and preparing for impact) on top of the S. Korean player who was covering him. :laugh: S. Korea still won though 2-0 so I guess that move didn't help enough!

wolfy

awsm
OMG, I love how players fall down flat, then look up and around to see who's watching, then get up like nothing happened when there's not ref. It TOTALLY reminds me of naughty children.

To me, that is a pathetic way to play a game. I can't stand that part of soccer.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'am relieved that France have lost. I knew that they did'nt have any chance and that they did'nt deserve to win but I still doubting. But now that issue is resolved. There's tons of more interesting team in that competition. I'm impatient to see South Africa Beat France for example.:wubbie: I'm expecting for a 3-0 or something like that, oh yeah!:devil:

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
To me, that is a pathetic way to play a game. I can't stand that part of soccer.
Agreed. When I played it in high school I would have been heartily ashamed to writhe about on the ground clutching my ankle, whether the agony was real or not. I think its an extremely cynical attitude to play with that undermines the sport's prestige and credibility. And in this part of the world it just adds fuel to the fire for the critics of football. :doh:

I think it should be an automatic red card if they are caught and suspension if the ref misses it. If more isn't done, before long the team that wins any given match will simply be the one that cheats the most effectively.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
The thing is, it's the smart play. When you're at the highest level of talent, set pieces become so lethal because of the place kicker's ability to spot the ball very well and the attackers' ability to get clean headers. Not as easy in high school.