• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

WORLD CUP 2010

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
And in Germany there are claims about a correlation between electoral outcomes and the national teams success. So yes, it is "just" a sport, but due to it´s public appeal it is also easily turned into something political
Really? There are similar claims about New Zealand and rugby. There were other claims that a win or loss by our national team effected the stock market and the economy in general.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You had to feel badly for the North Korean players' families.

Hopefully their executions will be swift and pain-free.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
And in Germany there are claims about a correlation between electoral outcomes and the national teams success. So yes, it is "just" a sport, but due to it´s public appeal it is also easily turned into something political.

No they said, because so many people are intrested in football, current pressuring political issues, like our momentary government which is a coalition at odds with each other, could become less important. Current issues are for example the government destroying our social system to give a credit to rescue the euro. That credit is necessary but they are taking away the money for it from the wrong people like families, students and flat broke people.

On the other hand tho they lower the tax rate on high incomes and voices are already raising speaking of a crime, cause it appears to be a lobby action from hotel owners, who are member of the current party sitting in the government.

----------------

I heard a good quote regarding the game USA - England:

"At least that was one british spill, the americans wont be pissed about." :D

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
(Am I really the only one who thinks the vuvuzela's not that bad?)

Two of my favorite teams in this world cup - France, and Portugal failed to impress with their performances so far. Let's hope they put up a winning performance - especially Portugal whom I'm beginning to doubt.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
[Spain VS. Switzerland.]

(1-0 to Switzerland.)

My my, not surprising at all.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How did they qualify then?

Its easier to do well against Asian teams than against an average bunch of world cup teams.

btw Honduras has a regime installed by a coup and illegitimate elections. I'm wondering if a success for them would only help the govt. ...

I don't take that view because hwile governments try to take ownership of these things, the people will generally udnerstand it as their triumph, not that of the government. Whereas int he case of a defeat, they will udnerstand it as their own defeat, not the governments, lowering their confidence even further.

Likewise Chile is hardly a saintly ruling class despite the facade of democracy. (Same goes for Brazil and Portugal, and I imagine the Ivory Coast). So if a victory for the national team strengthens the govt., I wouldn't want them to win either...:whistling:

That's oranges and apples. The North Korean people have long been indoctrinated into a personality cult severest variety. They by default praise Kim for all of their country's fortune, however, that is not the case with Brazil, Portugal or Ivory Coast, at least not to the same extent. The people of those countries may know better than to attribute the success of their soccer team to the virtues of their government, but we can't say the same about the North Koreans.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Asia has some decent teams who didn't qualify. If you were talking about Oceana fair enough.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Ivory Coast aren't that special. Maybe 4 years ago. N Korea will give them a run for their money.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ivory Coast aren't that special..

I don't know, their defense seemed pretty solid as they contained Ronaldo very well. They also have some monster forwards like Kalou and Drogba.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
That's oranges and apples. The North Korean people have long been indoctrinated into a personality cult severest variety. They by default praise Kim for all of their country's fortune, however, that is not the case with Brazil, Portugal or Ivory Coast, at least not to the same extent. The people of those countries may know better than to attribute the success of their soccer team to the virtues of their government, but we can't say the same about the North Koreans.

This is the official discourse. But then it was official discourse in a country like Albania under Hoxha, but since that regime ended we found out that official discourse didn't match reality. Likewise in all countries there is an official discourse, which very rarely matches reality (though of course it has some influence on reality, otherwise there would be no purpose for it). Surely we should seek to look through those things?

Another lesson is that never have those peoples progressed in the case of these countries as a whole suffering international humiliations. Knocking a peoples collective confidence in a small and poor country doesn't do much to empower them to fight for liberaton.

I don't know, their defense seemed pretty solid as they contained Ronaldo very well. They also have some monster forwards like Kalou and Drogba.

I'm not saying they're a bad team. But N Korea's defence wasn't bad, against a btter team than Portugal, and it took a moment of magic to open them up (a freak goal you might say).

I'm not saying that Ivory Coast aren't a better side than N Korea but it's by no means a foregone conclusion that they will beat them.

Uruguay looked pretty good there.

Forlan is a genius. (Just ask Liverpool supporters). :D

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Go for Uruguay!

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
That was completely idiotic, a mixture of conceitedness and fatigue led the Brazilian defenders to let the Korean forward to run through the penalty area uncontacted and take a shot. The Koreans wouldn't be able to do that in a regular World Cup match, especially considering how tightly defensive the opening games have been.

No worries, Portugal may still beat North Korea by a wide margin. The Portuguese just have to dive and let Ronaldo take the free kicks, he is very good at long-range shooting. Furthermore, he dives with impunity more than the entire Italian squad could hope to. Obviously I still have not given up on the vision of North Korea losing by 10 goals.

Is that a bet?

You're on!

If you lose, you have to put "All Praise Cze Cze Our Beloved Leader" in your sig.

If I win, you have to put "All Praise Cze Cze Our Beloved Leader" in your sig.

How's that sound? :D

BTW, the "fatigue and conceitedness" on the part of the Brazilian team was part of the N. Korean strategy which worked brilliantly. I watched in a bar in downtown DC and more than one person around me mentioned "rope a dope" which was Muhammad Ali's strategy against George Foreman in their infamous title match.

I don't think N. Korea even planned on scoring at all, they barely attempted any goals. Until that goal when their main scorer got control of the ball, anything past mid-field they didn't seem to take seriously. It got real exciting after that first goal. :D

I thought it was funny when some of the Brazilians literally started crying after their first goal, like, 'Praise the lord we didn't tie with North Korea! We didn't tie!!!"

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
[Argentina VS. South Korea.]

4-1!

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Good performance. Quesitons marks about the defence but South Korea are no joke so let's not underestimate the result.

Still I remember Argentina did the same thing to Serbia and Montenegro only to choke against Germany, so still there no permission to be complacent.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Never realized how short Maradona was until they showed him hugging Messi and Messi towered over him :laugh:

R

Riva

Is that a bet?

You're on!

If you lose, you have to put "All Praise Cze Cze Our Beloved Leader" in your sig.

If I win, you have to put "All Praise Cze Cze Our Beloved Leader" in your sig.

How's that sound? :D

I have a better idea. If he lose tell him he has to go to at least 100 members and give them big chunky :hug:s. He would never ever do that!

And gosh, I would give a million dollars to see him do it.

:yes:

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This is the official discourse. But then it was official discourse in a country like Albania under Hoxha, but since that regime ended we found out that official discourse didn't match reality. Likewise in all countries there is an official discourse, which very rarely matches reality (though of course it has some influence on reality, otherwise there would be no purpose for it). Surely we should seek to look through those things?

Do some research on North Korea, when their previous dear leader died in 1994, there were dozens of thousands of weeping North Koreans on the street. Go back to that video I posted earlier in this thread about North Korea and watch it from part one. There you will see that people genuinely seem to adore the ruler. Such discourse is usually lip-service rather than a reflection of the genuine public opinion, however, in most cases this is so because the public is typically aware of the leader's true corrupt nature of the leaders. The North Korean propaganda precluded the public from making the same discoveries that people of other suppressed countries made; it is still a prevalent view in that country that Kim and his father have supernatural abilities, that they are capable of performing miracles. This non-sense is propagated to the children since the very beginning of their education and an overwhelming majority of the population never find another source of information, which means that they typically have no choice but to believe that what they've been taught their entire life must be true.

Another lesson is that never have those peoples progressed in the case of these countries as a whole suffering international humiliations..?

Good, lets hope that Kim does not progress anywhere, because he is the state, he is the people of North Korea, everyone else is just a bunch of nobodies whose sole purpose in life is to appease his whims who just can't know any better.

Knocking a peoples collective confidence in a small and poor country doesn't do much to empower them to fight for liberaton?

You truly do not have the slightest clue about what is going on in that wretched country. Fight for liberation? Almost all North Koreans believe that they live in paradise and that they owe their lives to the grace of their dear leader, that they may 'as well be dead' without him.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
^^^Perhaps they are jsut forced to go on parades and to say that? It would hardly be unheard of. So what's your convincing evidence that North Koreans really think what their government tells you they think?

Perhaps in many cases they have a legitimate desire to defend their state from takeover by the IMF and World Bank. This doesn't mean they all actually think it's a "paradise" or believe in Juche.

You can tell me I "have no idea", but what is "your idea" based on? I am no expert I'm jsut making a reasonable prediction based on similair cases. So I am asking seriously, are you an expert in this? and if so, you'd be able to recommend a good book or article or something backing up your claims.