INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj

SO EXCITED FOR GERMANY VS ARGENTINA.

I'M TYPING IN ALL CAPS.
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.

Ginkgo

Soccer sucks because I suck at soccer. Go away.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Argentina!? When did you forget that England was the land of hope and glory!?

YouTube - England Football - Land Of Hope And Glory
    lol I have always supported Argentina, I didn't 'forget' anything.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post

I suck at soccer too!

Slovakia VS Netherlands tonight!
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

x-post w/ INTPc

This made me laugh:

The Slippery Slopers: Luddite Cassandras. Worry that any introduction of replay technology will send us spiraling downward to the point where all games will eventually played by soulless robots, just like pro golf. Argue that as soon as you start reviewing goals, you'll start reviewing offsides, then yellow cards, and then Diego Maradona's suits, and pretty soon you're wrestling Mr. Maradona on the floor at a press conference, and he's actually still very strong, but at least he smells like flowers and chocolate-chip cookies.
    Mmm... chocolate chip cookies! That's what cocaine smells like?

I at least understand why the offsides goal in the Argentina-Mexico game was allowed to stand. There's chaos in front of the goal, and the official loses track of the offsides player and a goal is scored. What I don't understand is when nothing happens (like the two disallowed USA goals) and the official makes a phantom call. WTF are they looking at? Missing a call is more understandable than inventing one.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    No u.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Football is a game of continuity. If the ball bounces out of the goal, then play continues. How can you stop the game to review it by video? It's against the nature of the game. Or otherwise you elt them play on while it's being reviewed, but what if the defending tema got up to an attacking position, or if there was a bad foul, corner, free kick, etc.? You jsut cancel them out?

It's even worse with offside because the referee doesn't know if the offside player will score or not. So what, they'll just not call offside, hoping they score so they can review it?
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Football is a game of continuity. If the ball bounces out of the goal, then play continues. How can you stop the game to review it by video? It's against the nature of the game. Or otherwise you elt them play on while it's being reviewed, but what if the defending tema got up to an attacking position, or if there was a bad foul, corner, free kick, etc.? You jsut cancel them out?
    Yes, cancel it out (except yellow/red cards). Half the time the game is stopped anyway with players celebrating an illegal goal.

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    It's even worse with offside because the referee doesn't know if the offside player will score or not. So what, they'll just not call offside, hoping they score so they can review it?
    What?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

I don't agree that once you review goals, the rest will follow. I think the NHL has it right - video goal judging (and only that) has been permitted in hockey for about 8 years now:

Instant replay is only used by the NHL to review goals. Specifically, the video goal judge is only empowered to determine if:

the puck completely crossed the goal line
    the puck was hit into the net with a hand or a high stick, or was kicked in
    the puck entered the net before the net was knocked off its moorings
    the puck was in before the period ended

The replay judge must find conclusive evidence to overturn the original call made by the referee on the ice.
    The officials in each game still have live jurisdiction on all other calls.

Actually, it seems primitive to not review goals. The technology exists, other sports have gotten past the hurdles of implementation and this knowledge of what works and what doesn't would benefit FIFA in minimizing pitfalls and shortening the learning curve tremendously if they were to adopt the practice.

The trick would be to have a specific or even stringent set of circumstances whereby replay is allowed.

But anyway, just my 2 cents on that one.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Yes, cancel it out (except yellow/red cards). Half the time the game is stopped anyway with players celebrating an illegal goal.
    The other team keeps playing.

And how would you restart?

What?
    Didn't your mother ever teach you "don't say 'what', say 'pardon'"?

What I mean is that if you let video technology judge offside goals, then the linesman won't call marginal offside decisions, or even if he does the ref won't blow for offside, because they will prefer to wait in case there is a goal, to review it.

But this will be a problem if the offside player doesn't score, but does win a corner/free kick/penalty. Then the defending team which shpuld have had a free-kick, will now have to defend free kick/corner/penatly. Which they could concede from. (unless you then go back and review the original offside, which would be a joke).