User Tag List

First 444525354555664 Last

Thread: WORLD CUP 2010

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    If the US loses, I'm glad its Ghana that does it; that's a country that has worked hard to get its shit together, and lets face it, they (as a country) want this more than we do. Still, it would be great if we rallied and won the whole thing, for no other reason than to witnesses the frustration of foreign soccer fans if the World Cup went to the only country that couldn't care less.

But yeah, if the Ghanians hang on, I'm rooting for them the rest of the way.
    That would have been funny, but eh.

This is like the second time we've gotten knocked out by those guys! I smell new rivalry.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Why were so many people not from the USA supporting them? :s

I am glad Ghana won. Nothing against the US team at all, they played well. But obviously it means more to Ghana and as a country they have more of an acheivement in getting this far than the US.

Also seeing Bill Clinton and, especially, Mick Jagger defeated has to be fun.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

sorry for the americans. They played a great cup and have a great team atm, probably the best team of all time.

I am looking forward to see more matches from this team in the future
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INtP

Ah, too bad. I was hoping to see the US team advance on -- all in all, they played pretty well. If only they could get rid of the first 15 minutes of each game...

It was a fun game to watch, though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Curious to know the opinion of you serious football fans:

How does team USA look on the world level? Obviously they can compete, but it's also obvious that they have a ways to go in order to be considered an "elite team". But, from a technical standpoint and just overall play in this World Cup, what's your opinion? I know that they won a game, lost a game, and tied two games. But, give me more of a breakdown of their play and how it compares (quality wise) with the "elites"?

Also, if Team USA played a team like, say, Manchester United, what would happen? Would Man U just shred them apart? Or would it be a good game? I'm just wondering how some of these world-class club teams with superstars on them would stack up against a mediocre (or slightly above average) national team such as the USA.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Man United would shred the USA apart, but then they would shred England apart too (let's say Rooney and Ferdinand just didn't play).

The US look like a decent team, though I don't know what else to say. Lower end of the Top 16 as the World Cup would indicate seems about correct.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Man United would shred the USA apart, but then they would shred England apart too (let's say Rooney and Ferdinand just didn't play).

The US look like a decent team, though I don't know what else to say. Lower end of the Top 16 as the World Cup would indicate seems about correct.
    The U.S. never should have been ranked 4th in the world as they were at one point. 12th-14th sounds about right. On the second tier behind the European and South American powers. Dangerous, but maddeningly inconsistent.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Glad of Uruguay's victory today. Felt saddened by USA's defeat, though, on the other hand - they were playing hard. Felt they deserved to win...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Glad of Uruguay's victory today. Felt saddened by USA's defeat, though, on the other hand - they were playing hard. Felt they deserved to win...
    They may have played hard, but not smart in the first half or the beginning of extra time (the start of things seems to be the bane of the U.S. team). Nor do they have the skill needed at the striker position - 8 straight W.C. games now without a goal from a striker.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Curious to know the opinion of you serious football fans:

How does team USA look on the world level? Obviously they can compete, but it's also obvious that they have a ways to go in order to be considered an "elite team". But, from a technical standpoint and just overall play in this World Cup, what's your opinion? I know that they won a game, lost a game, and tied two games. But, give me more of a breakdown of their play and how it compares (quality wise) with the "elites"?
    From my perspective, the team is well-organized and its style of play is well thought out, yet there's a lack of real talent (understandble, since it's still a minor sport). I think it's easier to compare the US team to a team whose supposed level should be similar: Japan. Japan has a similar level of organization, but now it's starting to develop its talents (Honda, for example). During a competition such as the World Cup, where basically each match is decisive, you need "great" players.

Also, if Team USA played a team like, say, Manchester United, what would happen? Would Man U just shred them apart? Or would it be a good game? I'm just wondering how some of these world-class club teams with superstars on them would stack up against a mediocre (or slightly above average) national team such as the USA.
    If the USA and Man Utd were to play 10 games one against the other, Man Utd would probably win 8 times out of 10. Yet, as far as single games go, I don't think the USA team would be shredded apart, they'd likely lose 1-0 or even tie.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp