First 37454647484957 Last

Thread: WORLD CUP 2010

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Jesus, worse than I expected. At least I was right when I got angry because they didn't let Quagliarella play, he was clearly the best player in that team.
    If they had Buffon, the outcome may have turned out differently. Although we can't blame Marchetti for letting those goals in this game, Buffon could have made the saves on those shots, as we've seen him pull off similar tasks in the past. He was capable of stopping virtually all of them, especially the last one, he could have dealt with it just by coming off his line quickly enough and his ability to read the game could have well allowed him to do that.

I remember in 2006 he stopped Zidane' powerful header from the six yard box that was going right under the bar to the left of Buffon, 95% of keepers would not have been able to pull that off. Similarly, in 2008, he stopped a Romanian penalty and Marchetti most likely would not have, had he played in that game which would have led Italy to be eliminated from the EURO cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Italy? By miles the most controversial side since World Cup '94 - beaten by Slovakia today. I'm lost for words, honestly. How did it happen?

-It has been announced that the coach will be terminated after the end of the world cup which destabilized the team and lowered the morale of the entire squad.
    -The player are getting old.
    -Poor selections as FDG managed, I suspect that the team selections were in part inspired by a nationalistic bias, only one Italian player plays for a non-Italian club and they don't have a single black player when certainly they'd benefit from the contributions of black Italians. Some of them are enormously qualified, such as Mario Ballotelli.
    -Their tactics of inconspicuously injuring opponents and diving are getting old and Howard Webb was astute enough to see right through that sham.
    -Lack of outstanding goalkeeping. As you may see, Italians gave up very few scoring opportunities in the tournament, they've only allowed 6 shots on target, 5 of which have went in. One of the reasons they were able to succeed with this level of defensive performance was due to the fact that Buffon was able to make the few remarkable saves that were necessary, yet the replacement keeper was not able to pull it off. Essentially, this is a consequence of playing in a very defensive manner. Virtually any defense will make mistakes here and there and allow an opponent at least a few clear-cut scoring chances, in order to prevent those chances from turning into goals, goaltending brilliance will be necessary and that was lacking in the Italian team.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    If they had Buffon, the outcome may have turned out differently. Although we can't blame Marchetti for letting those goals in this game, Buffon could have made the saves on those shots, as we've seen him pull off similar tasks in the past. He was capable of stopping virtually all of them, especially the last one, he could have dealt with it just by coming off his line quickly enough and his ability to read the game could have well allowed him to do that.
    True, yes; although I think it's really unwise to base your defensive strategy on your goalkeeper (I know that we did that for quite a long time, of course I wasn't happy)...Buffon was the best goalkeeper in the world 4 years ago, he started playing in Serie A when he was 17, so we're probably going to need a long time to find someone else at his level...
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

True, yes; although I think it's really unwise to base your defensive strategy on your goalkeeper (I know that we did that for quite a long time, of course I wasn't happy)...Buffon was the best goalkeeper in the world 4 years ago, he started playing in Serie A when he was 17, so we're probably going to need a long time to find someone else at his level...
    Not if you have a great one. Look at Germany in 2002? Kahn was the whole team. But yeah, for most, not going to work.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Arrivederci! O, e vaffunculi, bastardi.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Uh ohhhhh spaghettio.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Arrivederci! O, e vaffunculi, bastardi.
    Ehm, that's quite a big insult, but it's okay I am against censorship...just pay attention because if you happen to be in Italy and say that out loud you might get a bad reaction.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Uh ohhhhh spaghettio.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Okay, whoever says we should call the US team the Mutant Ninja Turtles I totally agree with.

GO MUTANT NINJA TURTLES!!!
    I did, and I think it could actually catch on. It's a lot better than "the Yanks."
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Ehm, that's quite a big insult, but it's okay I am against censorship...just pay attention because if you happen to be in Italy and say that out loud you might get a bad reaction.
    Oh, I'm aware. The only thing that's just as much fun as supporting your own side is hating another, and gli Azzurri just happen to be my object of derision. Ciao

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I did, and I think it could actually catch on. It's a lot better than "the Yanks."
    We already have a team called the Yankees and everyone hates them.

They need to start out fresh.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge