And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    It was offsides, by a leg or so.

I don't understand offsides that close in though. Hockey has a blue line for that nonsense.
    It actually wasn't off. They showed it in the half time report and we were even if not on side.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    It actually wasn't off. They showed it in the half time report and we were even if not on side.
    I saw one tiny (work PC) replay and they didn't make a big deal of it, so I just assumed he was barely offsides. But it was an English feed. Speaking of the English...

ACTUAL RESULTS:
    United States 5
    England 5
    Slovenia 4
    Algeria 1

Ahahahahahahaahahahahahaha!

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    It would be quite funny if Italy won the World Cup. All the Italian members of the forum should make a vid chanting "SolitaryWalker Vaffanculo". .
    That may be funny, but now we have more pertinent events to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    @ Pure Mercury - if USA win the group I'll change my signature to an Ayn Rand quote of your choice, for a month.
    If the quote Pure Mercury chooses is short enough, would you add another Ayn Rand quote of my choice?

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Sweet draw! I'm sure the English goalkeeper's car is already overturned and on fire back in England.
    His howler in the first game is an important reason why England did not win the group. If England won the opener against the U.S by 1 goal to 0, they may well have had the momentum to beat Algeria by the same margin.

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Well he said he was speaking about the players, not the whole nation, so actually what he said made sense (and I basically agree with him, although not to such extremes). Although now he does seem to be a little bit obsessed
    That's true, my comment implied no racial derogations, however, the Italian style of play seems profoundly different from that of their Western counterparts. They are much more defensive and more inclined to attempt to win by illicit means. Yet, according to you, FDG, the Italian culture does not approve of cheating, what on earth is going on here? Is there anything about the Italian general culture or the Italian soccer culture that promotes such behavior? If the answer is no, why is such behavior much more common among Italian players than among the Spaniards, the English or the Germans?
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    If the quote Pure Mercury chooses is short enough, would you add another Ayn Rand quote of my choice?
    Sure, how about I also give you my bank details and email password?
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

can you give it to me too tcda? I will only use it to buy a pizza. Im really a nice honest person so you can trust me.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    That is not what you meant. You said Argentina was one of your favorites but it is highly unlikely to win the tournament which means that the term 'favorite' means a team that you personally favor rather than a team that in your objective assessment is the most likely to win. I ask again, why would you favor Italy?
    Who the fuck are you again?

I have no preference for Argentina whatsoever. I don't know if it's a misuse of the word favorite, but from my understanding even in english (like in portuguese, my mother tongue) it can both mean positive bias towards someone and the likeliest candidate to win, when talking about any kind of sport.

I said Argentina are one of the most likely to win, in theory, but as history shows,playing "eloquently" in these competitions doesn't ensure you'll win in the end (as evidence by a lot of defensive teams winning the big competitions these days).

I don't favor Italy. What I meant was that Italy, due to be defensive and very experienced, are more likely to win a big competition like this one in this day and age.