User Tag List

First 234561454 Last

Thread: WORLD CUP 2010

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    We can but hope Looks like Kewel will be fit for this one and we still have our star keeper and a few other veterans of the last cup.
    IDK. I like Aussies and all, but part of me loves the Italian style. My nickname on the pitch is Materazzi - not sure if that's a good thing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Still I have faith Argentina will do it so I'll just say "vaffanculo" to Italy for now.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    IDK. I like Aussies and all, but part of me loves the Italian style. My nickname on the pitch is Materazzi - not sure if that's a good thing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Still I have faith Argentina will do it so I'll just say "vaffanculo" to Italy for now.
    I guess we will need to see how the draws pan out then - I can be a good loser if the game is played well and honestly

I would rather say avanti Argentina than avanti Italy!
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Riva

I would like to see Argentina or Germany win. Germans deserved to win the last time. The referee didn't see a foul made by an Italian player. It fould have been a penalty kick. Germany would have scored and they would have definitely won since from that moment on they would have tried to defend. Poor Germans. At the end of the day errors do happen but at a time like that it was totally unacceptable and unfair.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    misery guts. England. Is that better? For an ENFP you're a real downer. Have a drink and chill the fuck out.
    Downer? Sorry I made you sad. I just can't feke it.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Britain is not playing in the World Cup.
    There is no such team, I can assure anyone who remains in ignorance of this

The international teams representing the British Isles are England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales, corresponding to the regions with a separate national identity. Furthermore, people generally do not support a team that represents another region merely because it is also British. Sporting rivalries here, which are essentially a patriotic expression of national identity, transcend international political boundaries.

There is a general principle, however, that if one is British, but not English, one supports any other team which is playing England regardless of nationality, this can be waived to some extent if England are doing particularly well in a competition in which one's own team is not participating, however. If the team is from one of the other British regions, one definitely supports that team against England, and possibly against other nations as well (on the general principle of sticking up for the underdog), unless there are league table considerations, or your own team has suffered a humiliating loss to them within recent memory.

As usual Wales didn't make it, so I have no-one to support really
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    There is a general principle, however, that if one is British, but not English, one supports any other team which is playing England regardless of nationality, this can be waived to some extent if England are doing particularly well in a competition in which one's own team is not participating, however.
    Maybe in the case of Wales. I think in the case of the jocks only the first bit applies.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Maybe in the case of Wales. I think in the case of the jocks only the first bit applies.
    This is true, but not everyone is one of them Around here people are mostly not football supporters anyway, and only really care about the Rugby, so it wouldn't be a very terrible thing to show some mild support for the England team in a sport you don't really care about, when you're not otherwise affected. People are mostly football supporters in Scotland, so different rules apply! The converse applies: chance of anyone here except an English expatriate supporting the England rugby team for any reason == zero, as far as I can see...
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by slowriot View Post
    I was hoping for Argentina to do well but seems like Maradonna is destroying their chances with the team hes picking.
    I was surprised and upset finding Cambiasso being left out of the team. You win the frickin' Champion's League, while defeating few of the hottest clubs in Europe, and you don't get a pass to the World Cup?? Well, maybe Mr. 10 was mad at him for ruining Messi's year.

But I got bit cheered up when I saw their forwards. Messi (La Liga #1, Champions' League #1), Higuain (La Liga #2), Tevez (Premier League #4), Milito (Serie A #2, Champions' league #4)... together they scored over 100 goals during the past season. No other team has as strong forwards as Argentina has.

But I'm afraid Argentina won't fare too well under pressure, since they lack strong defenders and a goalie.

Personally I feel that Spain has the strongest team, and I'd place my money on them. And I'm hoping they will finally let Victor Valdez have his first cap on field. He's one of the best goalies in the world.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    There is no such team, I can assure anyone who remains in ignorance of this

The international teams representing the British Isles are England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales, corresponding to the regions with a separate national identity. Furthermore, people generally do not support a team that represents another region merely because it is also British. Sporting rivalries here, which are essentially a patriotic expression of national identity, transcend international political boundaries.

There is a general principle, however, that if one is British, but not English, one supports any other team which is playing England regardless of nationality, this can be waived to some extent if England are doing particularly well in a competition in which one's own team is not participating, however. If the team is from one of the other British regions, one definitely supports that team against England, and possibly against other nations as well (on the general principle of sticking up for the underdog), unless there are league table considerations, or your own team has suffered a humiliating loss to them within recent memory.

As usual Wales didn't make it, so I have no-one to support really
    Ragashree you can become a defacto Aussie for the duration of the cup
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Falcarius' thinks watching a club team have a decade and half of underachievement is even more depressing the forty-four years of hurt of his national team.

Falcarius wonders other than having a liability of a goalkeeper, a disjointed defence, having a side which the two best midfielders don't seem to be able to play together no matter how hard they try, and being almost totally reliant on one striker; who wouldn't fancy England?

On a more positive note, Falcarius did see that hilarious pompey fan while at the England v Mexico game last week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.