User Tag List

First 2432333435364484 Last

Thread: WORLD CUP 2010

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    No actually, I'm not a fan of the Yankees and Lakers (I don't generally pay attention to sports).

I'm actually a Brazil fan because I lived there for a year and that's the place where I developed an interest in pro soccer (watching/playing soccer is one of the major social events in Brazil). I'm not a Brazil fan merely because they are one of the best teams and more associated with soccer than any other place in the world.

I bet your foot is in your mouth now, huh?
    oooo

MBTI
    ISTP

Annoying horns and scores that never seem to pass 0-0 or 1-1. Yeah, not for me.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Annoying horns and scores that never seem to pass 0-0 or 1-1. Yeah, not for me.
    I'm gonna have to agree with you, Max. I'm watching the games as much as I can, but it's tough to sit through a whole game. I keep thinking, "What am I really looking for here?" I get how the game works (played a short while as a youngster), but 90 minutes with just a few legitimate shots on goal?

People say baseball is boring, but at least with baseball (with the exception of a sudden home run), you're building on what the last guy did. One guy gets on base. Then he steals 2nd base (or gets sacrificed over to 2nd). Now, as a fan, you know that something could happen. There is a man in scoring position (and it took 1 or 2 events just for that to happen), and now you're hoping that the 3rd or 4th guy can deliver a key hit to drive in the run. It's a series of events that leads to something good.

What's frustrating with soccer (for me), is you can watch a very uneventful (50/50 possession, relatively few shots on goal) 0-0 game for 77 minutes, get up and go to the bathroom, come back and it's 1-0. Game over. No need to continue watching. "Anything else on TV, honey?" All because of a header that slipped through the goalies hands. Soccer fans, what am I missing here? What *should* I be watching for? What makes the 90 minutes so exciting?

I am looking forward to watching the games when it gets down to 8 and 4 teams remaining though, because there will be so much at stake. I'll just have to be sure to not go to the bathroom even once, lest I miss the defining goal of the tournament. I'll keep a "urine bottle" next to the couch.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

I tend to analyze the game in terms of ball possession, averaging skills of the players, stuff like that. I try to see where they're going with a particular strategy.

And of course, I spend most of the time yelling at the tv.
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

It seems like the only Frenchman whose unpopularity comes anywhere close to Domenech is Sarkozy.

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    damn, England, France, now Italy. what the hell?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Weird championship so far.
    Yeah, and Diego Forlán is like player of the tournament so far. Capello needs to give the whole England team whatever Forlán has been taking since he left Manchester.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Do Argentians have a special reason to despise the Italian team more than the rest of the world does?
    Just traditional footballing rivalry, mixed with perhaps a biut of jealousy over Italy's greater international success. It's a love-hate thing. The 1990 incident where Maradona left Napoli because they burnt the Argentina flag also probbaly has something to do with it.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Just traditional footballing rivalry, mixed with perhaps a biut of jealousy over Italy's greater international success. It's a love-hate thing. The 1990 incident where Maradona left Napoli because they burnt the Argentina flag also probbaly has something to do with it.
    Not to mention the fierce rivalry over the world diving championship.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

^^^The end justifies the means if there is something that justifies the end
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

^^^The end justifies the means if there is something that justifies the end
    Just because it's smart, doesn't mean it isn't also cowardly.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Why is it cowardly? I grew up playing and watching football and I never heard that description