Thread: WORLD CUP 2010

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    What players were excluded from the squad, yet in your opinion should have made the team?
    Cassano, Balotelli (yeah, they're not easy to handle personality-wise, but a good coach should manage), Santon; Quagliarella should also play for 90', he's got the best condition among available forwards, and he's not that bad technically. We wouldn't be a great team, but definitely more decent than now.

A commentator on the U.S TV said that although the English consider diving cheating, the Italians call it 'clever'. Is there any truth to that?
    Nah not really, it's more of a "tragedy of commons" type of behavior. Since every forward dives, since you're a small child you're "forced" to dive (by your own coach), thus it tends to become an ingrained behavior. Most football fans hate it though, as far as I know.

They will be playing in the Champions league this year. Do you think he will be diving there just as much or more?
    I hope international refrees will be harder on him.

If the referee was to make the correct decision to not award the penalty kick to Italy, New Zealand could have maintained a 1-0 lead and we noticed that Italians did hack New Zealandians several times either inside the penalty area or close to it, yet they got away with it. Had the referee made the right decisions, New Zealand would have gotten more free kicks and possibly a penalty, which could have given them good opportunities to score a second goal.
    Ahah I don't agree, New Zealand had few opportunities and didn't attack much, it's hard to see how they could have scored more goals even if those free kicks had been awarded. Still, I do think 1-0 would have been the fair score.

Wouldn't the Italian football federation be able to pay the fines by using their own funds? I am not sure if they would have to increase the ticket prices in order to pay the fines, so fans and citizens who don't care about soccer may remain unaffected if their national team was to be fined.
    Yeah, that might work; something that would work even better, IMHO: past 10 dives during a given international competition, the player is disqualified from playing at every level (thus, even national championship - champions league level). That'd be equivalent to a 5-10 million euros fine for high-level players.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Cassano, Balotelli .
    Do you think that Balotteli's exclusion has anything to do with the fact that he is black? I haven't once seen a single black player on the Italian team and the nation seems more given to right-wing politics than their Western European counterparts. Interestingly, all but one of the national team players play for an Italian club. How much, if at all, did the nationalistic sentiment influence the coach's squad selection?

I hope international refrees will be harder on him..
    I hope so too, players like DeRossi malign the reputation of the entire Italian football culture and infrastructure. DeRossi seems to have no honor whatsoever. Last world cup he picked up a 4 game suspension, now he dives incessantly, yet according to the American commenators he is the future captain of the Italian national team. Does this suggest that the team approve of his chicanery or for the very least do not oppose it?

Yeah, that might work; something that would work even better, IMHO: past 10 dives during a given international competition, the player is disqualified from playing at every level (thus, even national championship - champions league level). That'd be equivalent to a 5-10 million euros fine for high-level players.
    That sounds like a great idea, not only will the player be fined, but also laid off or suspended. This should be an effective deterrence mechanism. However, I do think that there should be a penalty imposed upon the entire team or the football federation of the nation, otherwise they'd have little incentive to discourage their coaches from advising the players to dive.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Damn, I've never even seen this much hatred for the Italian team even in Argentina!
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Damn, I've never even seen this much hatred for the Italian team even in Argentina!
    Do Argentians have a special reason to despise the Italian team more than the rest of the world does?
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTP

This discussion is academic. England will win the World Cup. That is all.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    This discussion is academic. England will win the World Cup. That is all.
    Ha. That's a good one. Have you seen how terribly they've been playing?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Indeed. But I have this feeling that if the final match is between a European team and a Latin American one (my money's on Argentina here), the Europeans will win. I have outstanding bets on Germany, though, so I'm hoping they'll go far. Even if the coach is a bloody idiot.
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
    Indeed. But I have this feeling that if the final match is between a European team and a Latin American one (my money's on Argentina here), the Europeans will win. I have outstanding bets on Germany, though, so I'm hoping they'll go far. Even if the coach is a bloody idiot.
    Disagree. The CONMEBOL teams have been playing the most consistently, especially on their passing games. With the exception of the Netherlands, the UEFA teams have all had sequences where they play uncharacteristically sloppily, leading to missed chances, and intercepts that lead to unnecessary goals against.

In other words, a typical WC in a non-European country. They really depend on crowd support, it seems. They also seem to be affected the most by the vuvuzelas.

MBTI
    INTP

Meh.

Thus I refute thee.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Disagree. The CONMEBOL teams have been playing the most consistently, especially on their passing games. With the exception of the Netherlands, the UEFA teams have all had sequences where they play uncharacteristically sloppily, leading to missed chances, and intercepts that lead to unnecessary goals against.

In other words, a typical WC in a non-European country. They really depend on crowd support, it seems. They also seem to be affected the most by the vuvuzelas.
    I'm holding out hope. They have been very sloppy, yes, and it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. But if they do manage to reach the finals, the pressure should improve their play.

Also, I'm affected by the gorram vuvuzelas, and I don't have to play (not that I would, football's not my sport). Though I've mostly learnt to ignore them by now.
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.