First 2129303132334181 Last

Thread: WORLD CUP 2010

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Looking forward to a life-saving performance by France. Portugal may have to consider one hell of a come back after the way they'd performed against Ivory Coast.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

damn, England, France, now Italy. what the hell?

Well done to the Kiwis though, I bet Southern Kross will be celebrating tonight!
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Weird championship so far.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Jesus, what an awful match. Penalty wasn't there, either, so we should have lost.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

^^^To be fair the NZ goal was offside though.

Not that I will take away from an amazing acheivement by them.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    ^^^To be fair the NZ goal was offside though.
    Well, Cannavaro touched the ball, that offsets any kind of offside. If you mean that the other NZ player did (head), that was barely noticeable, I don't think the refree could have noticed, nor I think it made any difference as far as trajectory goes.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Jesus, what an awful match..
    I wonder if I could get an Italian supporter to agree with me that Italy is a mediocre team without any notable skill other than diving and inconspicuously fouling opponents. You know, a New Zealandian forward was brought down in the penalty area by the neck in the last 15 minutes of the game, yet no penalty was giving, yet DeRossi earned a penalty kick by falling at a gentle tug of a shirt.

Penalty wasn't there, either, so we should have lost.
    Yes, you should have and probably by more than one goal. I think that any player who dives should be fined 1 EURO per act, and any team that records more than 10 dives in an International tournament should pay a fine of 100 million EUROS. What do we all think about that proposal?

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    ^^^Not that I will take away from an amazing acheivement by them.
    I don't think it was amazing, it only seem as such because Italy is unduly regarded as a EUROPEAN superpower. Unfortunately skill at diving and fouling opponents with impunity does not make a team good or worthy of even basic respect. In other words, just because the Italians have won the world cup and are ranked 5th in FIFA does not mean that they deserve their accolades or are as meritorious as they appear on paper.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    I wonder if I could get an Italian supporter to agree with me that Italy is a mediocre team without any notable skill other than diving and inconspicuously fouling opponents.
    Yeah, this italian team is absolutely awful. We do have some good players, but Lippi didn't want to bring them. Still, I think our last good team was in 2002, we lucked out of 2006. I think most italian supporters actually agree with you, but probably you shouldn't refer to an entire population as "dirty", that's quite a big offense - in my language, at least.

You know, a New Zealandian forward was brought down in the penalty area by the neck in the last 15 minutes of the game, yet no penalty was giving, yet DeRossi earned a penalty kick by falling at a gentle tug of a shirt.
    De Rossi should stop doing that kind of thing (I feel ashamed for this penalty), he's kind of famous for being a diver in the italian championship, however Roma doesn't play too many international matches...

Yes, you should have and probably by more than one goal.
    Nah, New Zealand shot 3-4 times, no more than that. They didn't play that well, either, although probably they played decently for their standards.

Yes, you should have and probably by more than one goal. I think that any player who dives should be fined 1 EURO per act, and any team that records more than 10 dives in an International tournament should pay a fine of 100 million EUROS. What do we all think about that proposal?
    Ok as far as player goes, disagree for the team. I don't want to pay (as an italian citizen) for a player's mornic behavior and I think people from other nations would agree too, especially because there's many people that don't care about soccer.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Yeah, this italian team is absolutely awful. We do have some good players, but Lippi didn't want to bring them..
    What players were excluded from the squad, yet in your opinion should have made the team?

but probably you shouldn't refer to an entire population as "dirty", that's quite a big offense - in my language, at least. ..
    I wasn't referring to the entire population as dirty, just to the team. I said that the dirty Italians should have lost, which means the team only. The entire nation could not have lost because the entire nation was not playing, only the team could have lost the game, hence the epithet applies only to them. I don't know what connotations the word 'dirty' has within the context of Italian culture, but all I meant by that is that they are dishonest or cheaters.

I think most italian supporters actually agree with you,,.
    A commentator on the U.S TV said that although the English consider diving cheating, the Italians call it 'clever'. Is there any truth to that?

De Rossi should stop doing that kind of thing (I feel ashamed for this penalty), he's kind of famous for being a diver in the italian championship, ..
    I noticed him diving more than any other player, but I don't think he is the only one doing it. Approximately at the 75 minute mark, Camoranesi went flying down by the corner kick flag when he was barely pushed by a New Zealandian defender. At a later point the New Zealandian forward brought the Italian defender down with shoulder contact, yet the latter fell and earned another free kick. I remember there was a number of other similar episodes but I won't bring them up because I don't remember the names of the divers or the exact nature of the plays in which they went down.

however Roma doesn't play too many international matches.....
    They will be playing in the Champions league this year. Do you think he will be diving there just as much or more?

Nah, New Zealand shot 3-4 times, no more than that......
    If the referee was to make the correct decision to not award the penalty kick to Italy, New Zealand could have maintained a 1-0 lead and we noticed that Italians did hack New Zealandians several times either inside the penalty area or close to it, yet they got away with it. Had the referee made the right decisions, New Zealand would have gotten more free kicks and possibly a penalty, which could have given them good opportunities to score a second goal.

I don't want to pay (as an italian citizen) for a player's mornic behavior and I think people from other nations would agree too, especially because there's many people that don't care about soccer.
    Wouldn't the Italian football federation be able to pay the fines by using their own funds? I am not sure if they would have to increase the ticket prices in order to pay the fines, so fans and citizens who don't care about soccer may remain unaffected if their national team was to be fined.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Riva

^
    Suddenly i don't want the italians to win anymore.

Go Germany and Argentina.