First 1826272829303878 Last

Thread: WORLD CUP 2010

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    OMG, I love how players fall down flat, then look up and around to see who's watching, then get up like nothing happened when there's not ref. It TOTALLY reminds me of naughty children.!
    Then you should watch the Italians more. They also like to subtly foul on their opponents and pretend to be innocent when the referee lectures them or displays a card.

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I laughed when I saw a Greek player do a creative 'non-foul' move by literally falling backwards!
    Italians will do even better for you. Around the 10 minute mark DeRossi was running forward without any contact from a Paraguian defender and he just flung himself on the ground and started grimacing to suggest that he was undergoing excruciating pain. Within 10 to 20 seconds he was back up on his feet trying to refrain from smiling, he even fooled the commentators who thought that he must have pulled of a muscle. I would buy that if his whole team did not have a history of simulating injuries and a similar scenario was reenacted by many of his teammates throughout the game.

Oh and by the way, if the Italians will be winning in an important match, they are not only going to dive but to pretend to be suffering from a serious injury by laying around on the field for multiple minutes just to waste time.

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I should remove him as my avatar. He's gotta make that PK.
    I am glad that he didn't, as it was Vidic's sheer stupidity that led to the penalty being awarded, there was no reason for him to dive at the ball with his hands forward. It was the same stupidity that led Serbia to lose the opening game to Ghana.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    You support Deutschland? o.O
    Grew up in a primarily German household/family environment. Learned soccer by watching the Bundesliga with my grandfather and it stuck.

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

If fouls were more consistently spotted and dealt with, I think there'd be a lot less diving. In most cases I've seen the dives seem to be exaggerated reactions to genuine fouls in order to attract the attention of officials who'd otherwise ignore them. The kind of thing that triggers the over-reactions actually spoils my enjoyment of it more than the melodrama - which is just funny IMO - because pulling or holding on to another player actually prevents them from showing off what they can do as well as potentially affecting the outcome. The completely fabricated incidents are less common and as entertaining as they are I do agree that these should be punished quite severely, but having spoken to much older fans about it I'm told referees used to be stricter and the game was better to watch because players didn't commit as many fouls in the first place.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

heh, I had no idea. Who do you support in the Bundesliga?

I like German football but cannot pretend I am saddened by today's result But I think Germany will get over it. If you come second you will likely play England, and I definitely fancy your chances in that contest!
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Fair enough. But you should recognize that football doesn't think of itself in terms of a sport that needs to "expand". In fact the central footballing countries of Europe and Latin America don't care much if the rest of the world plays or not,and they certainly won't change their style of play to attract others.

Of course that's an arrogant attitude and I don't condone it. But it's pretty much reality.

By the way, do you like rugby league? It's a good sport.
    Yeah, I realise that. It just galls me that people aren't concerned enough about making the sport the best it can be. Instead there is general public acceptance of negative play.

I do like league although rugby is better . I actually enjoy a wide range of sports. You should see me during the Olympics, I'm glued to the screen
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I should remove him as my avatar. He's gotta make that PK or score on one of his chances, he had several good looks. Refs didn't help but if Germany's an elite team they at least draw today.

Rather lose here and get this as a wakeup call though than get knocked out in round of 16. We'll see what happens from here.
    That wasnt Podolskis fault, the whole team sucked and he couldnt make up for them.

I have no idea whats going on again, but the whole performance was very weak. Looked like they didnt even want to win and a Ballack was bigtime missing this moment. Just have no strong captain at the moment to keep up morales.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    That wasnt Podolskis fault, the whole team sucked and he couldnt make up for them.

I have no idea whats going on again, but the whole performance was very weak. Looked like they didnt even want to win and a Ballack was bigtime missing this moment. Just have no strong captain at the moment to keep up morales.
    Serbia did take a more defensive approach to midfield and that seemed to really help, you're right that Ballack's presence would have helped there. But I still think Lahm, Podolski, Schweinsteiger, etc have been around long enough to have leadership and Ozil and Muller have won with U21 teams [I think?] so it's not like this should be that huge a step up for them.

They did play lousy but there were a lot of missed chances, even when down a man.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Serbia did take a more defensive approach to midfield and that seemed to really help, you're right that Ballack's presence would have helped there. But I still think Lahm, Podolski, Schweinsteiger, etc have been around long enough to have leadership and Ozil and Muller have won with U21 teams [I think?] so it's not like this should be that huge a step up for them.

They did play lousy but there were a lot of missed chances, even when down a man.
    Yes you are right, I was just missing any initiative. Lukas was the only one who tried at least, of Lahm or Schweinsteiger I have seen nothing. They have to find someone to take on more responsibility. They started with attack patterns but got confused half way themselves because noone took lead and gave clear direction on which attack pattern to go down on.

Of course Serbia played a great game, but they played defense against 10 german players and that always shows which team has the better talent.

This was the first time this new formed team had to work under pressure and out of confusion and hopefully that bad experience now helped.

Well its over now, keep thumbs crossed and dont blame Poldi, he's still one of the best and was the Best to me in todays game .

--------------

I hope the Americans dont loose today, I am still hoping for eight finals of germany - usa

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Yeah, I realise that. It just galls me that people aren't concerned enough about making the sport the best it can be. Instead there is general public acceptance of negative play.

I do like league although rugby is better . I actually enjoy a wide range of sports. You should see me during the Olympics, I'm glued to the screen
    There is only one rugby, and it's 13-a-side. The Kiwis are good at it too.

I won't lie to you, both as a supporter and a player (my nickname as a player is Materazzi to give you an idea), I want my team to win first and foremost, entertainment comes second. It's a luxury football can afford in most countries because people will never stop watching whatever happens.

I've been to matches were there were deaths caused by fights between rival supproters and the police. Or game after game of mediocre football, and people keep going every week, in relatively "inelastic" numbers.

Obviously in your country it's different. I wish you football fans in New Zealand all the best. I just think you are hoping for a miracle if you think players will stop diving or teams will play more offensively in order to help the game expand.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Slovenia 2 - 2 USA