User Tag List

First 1725262728293777 Last

Thread: WORLD CUP 2010

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Agreed. When I played it in high school I would have been heartily ashamed to writhe about on the ground clutching my ankle, whether the agony was real or not. I think its an extremely cynical attitude to play with that undermines the sport's prestige and credibility. And in this part of the world it just adds fuel to the fire for the critics of football.

I think it should be an automatic red card if they are caught and suspension if the ref misses it. If more isn't done, before long the team that wins any given match will simply be the one that cheats the most effectively.
    The highlighted bit made me LOL. The thought of football as a marginal interest having to compete against "critics" is quite funny for someone not from the US.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

This Spain ref must be due for his siesta, and is thus very crabby. What a disgrace.

Riva

Urgghhh!

I hope France does not get disqualified. The stronger the teams are the harder they would perform at the latter stages and also would have the confidence, the training and the preparation to do so. And France is one team that could perform at the latter parts of a tournament. I don't exactly like the Frech team, but the better a team performs more the fans are satisfied.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    The thing is, it's the smart play. When you're at the highest level of talent, set pieces become so lethal because of the place kicker's ability to spot the ball very well and the attackers' ability to get clean headers. Not as easy in high school.
    All the more reason to come down hard on the cheating. What's the point of playing or watching it if there is no longer a focus on winning through skill.

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    The highlighted bit made me LOL. The thought of football as a marginal interest having to compete against "critics" is quite funny for someone not from the US.
    I'm not from the US either.

In New Zealand (where I am actually from) there are certain old school macho types (who are fairly prevelant) who say football is a game for 'faggots'. This is rather offensive language but what they mean is it's 'not a real man's sport'. The belief is that football is a game for boys that are too wussy to play rugby. I never liked this attitude but certainly agree with them when they criticize player who 'pulls a Hollywood', as we call the faking. They hate it not only because it is cynical play but because they think it unmanly to show pain, let alone parade it. Exemplary of this attitude, is the former rugby player Buck Shelford. He once tore his scrotum during a game. He briefly went off, had it quickly stitched up, then went back and played the rest of the game. This man is a hero to the macho types and football players rolling around 'in pain', simply sickens them.

Honestly, I would like for there to be more respect for football in my country but its never gonna happen with the current style of play (ie. faking or exagerating injuries to milk penalties).
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

All so true, I'm from NZ too. I agree 100% with every point you made.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Best man in game today !!! Lukas Podolski !!!!!!!

I tho gonna kill Klose, slowly...
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

All the more reason to come down hard on the cheating. What's the point of playing or watching it if there is no longer a focus on winning through skill.
    Because it's tribal. A footballs upporter in Europe or Latin America doesn't care about having the best team, they just don't want to lose to their rivals. It's like "family honour" in Cossa Nostra, or something.

In New Zealand (where I am actually from) there are certain old school macho types (who are fairly prevelant) who say football is a game for 'faggots'. This is rather offensive language but what they mean is it's 'not a real man's sport'. The belief is that football is a game for boys that are too wussy to play rugby. I never liked this attitude but certainly agree with them when they criticize player who 'pulls a Hollywood', as we call the faking. They hate it not only because it is cynical play but because they think it unmanly to show pain, let alone parade it. Exemplary of this attitude, is the former rugby player Buck Shelford. He once tore his scrotum during a game. He briefly went off, had it quickly stitched up, then went back and played the rest of the game. This man is a hero to the macho types and football players rolling around 'in pain', simply sickens them.

Honestly, I would like for there to be more respect for football in my country but its never gonna happen with the current style of play (ie. faking or exagerating injuries to milk penalties).
    Fair enough. But you should recognize that football doesn't think of itself in terms of a sport that needs to "expand". In fact the central footballing countries of Europe and Latin America don't care much if the rest of the world plays or not,and they certainly won't change their style of play to attract others.

Of course that's an arrogant attitude and I don't condone it. But it's pretty much reality.

By the way, do you like rugby league? It's a good sport.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Best man in game today !!! Lukas Podolski !!!!!!!

I tho gonna kill Klose, slowly...
    I should remove him as my avatar. He's gotta make that PK or score on one of his chances, he had several good looks. Refs didn't help but if Germany's an elite team they at least draw today.

Rather lose here and get this as a wakeup call though than get knocked out in round of 16. We'll see what happens from here.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

I should remove him as my avatar. He's gotta make that PK or score on one of his chances, he had several good looks. Refs didn't help but if Germany's an elite team they at least draw today.

Rather lose here and get this as a wakeup call though than get knocked out in round of 16. We'll see what happens from here.
    You support Deutschland? o.O