User Tag List

First 1624252627283676 Last

Thread: WORLD CUP 2010

MBTI
    intp

Thread is overdue for a split.
    (ragashree is not alone.)
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    It is a funny display, isn't it?

In most cases, it's strategy designed to facilitate a free kick - something that could feasibly change the outcome of the game. So, although it looks silly - especially on slow-motion replay - "diving" is actually an integral part of many successful soccer teams.
    Ha, yeah..it is a good stretegy. We're kind of told to do the same thing in soccer too.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    However the Korean people had a social reovlution on the promise of equality and social ownership of the means of production, not in order to install a personaliy cult. It is unlikely for this memory to have disappeared completely. Likewise they can in many cases now see that a tiny bureaucracy lives in luxury, even reserving the right to use the elegant Pyongyang metro system purely for its own use. And you're telling me that there's no way that a great number of people of people could silently (at least, to the outside world silently), resent this?..
    I think that you're making a very good argument that's forcing me to re-think my previous position. People indeed are capable of recognizing injustice instinctively and by virtue of their basic observations. However, we must note that the more supressive the government is, the more these abilities of the people are limited. The government is fully capable of terrorizing the people into avoiding have subversive thoughts and I fear that Kim has succeeded in this endeavor.

Plenty of revolutions inhsitory did not happen because of an enlightened set of rational philosophies being presented from the outside, but rather because the people percieved injsutice instinctively and becuase their suffering became too much to bear. Do you think the Chinese workers and students who set up the Commune of Shanghai in 1967 were acting on the basis of foreign news sources, or on their own instinctive drive for equality and control over the wealth they created? (And in part on the memory of the original reovlutionary struggle in the country). In fact the main riving force here was that the masses percieved the contradiicton between the words of the regime, and its actions..
    There is a one important difference between the case you cited and that of the present-day North Korea. China is a very big country with a large population, yet Korea by contrast has a population of approximately 20 million and its territory is very limited. I would conjecture that it is much easier to achieve thought-control over the North Koreans than over the Chinese which leads me to think that your comparison is imprecise. The remonstrates of the Chinese in the late 60s does not have a great deal of predictive power with respect to what will happen in North Korea and we should not use the Chinese scenario as a model for understanding the sociopolitical climate of North Korea.

Regarding the reports you mention, BBC is far form reliable. The BBC is actually terribly dishonest. For example they constantly refer to the resistance fighters ina fghanistan as "the Taliban", despite the US army having admitted that the great majority ar enot religiously motivated. Likewise the BBC with regards to Thailand, reported that the cause of the recent problems was "a corrupt populist President sowing hatred for the rich amongst the poor", as its main editorial line.

Nat Geographic is perhaps more interesting. But I was thinking more of a serious study, seeing as you spoke with such certainty.
    My claim wasn't based on the opinions of journalists, but on that of the experts that they interviewed. I assume that they may have falsified their credentials or taken their claims wildly out of context, but then again, as dishonest as BBC may be, I don't know if they'd sink that low. Regarding a serious study, that's likely not feasible at the moment as even the most rudimentary statistical information about North Korea is difficult to procure.

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    [removed]
    What, you don't think that the Italians dive incessantly and should be held accountable for their mischief?
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Blackmail... calling Blackmail... hysterics needed on aisle 3...

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R5AjFoQNYc&feature=related"][/YOUTUBE]
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    It is a funny display, isn't it?

In most cases, it's strategy designed to facilitate a free kick - something that could feasibly change the outcome of the game. So, although it looks silly - especially on slow-motion replay - "diving" is actually an integral part of many successful soccer teams.
    OMG, I love how players fall down flat, then look up and around to see who's watching, then get up like nothing happened when there's not ref. It TOTALLY reminds me of naughty children.

I laughed when I saw a Greek player do a creative 'non-foul' move by literally falling backwards (with his hands up, he knew what he was doing and preparing for impact) on top of the S. Korean player who was covering him. S. Korea still won though 2-0 so I guess that move didn't help enough!
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    OMG, I love how players fall down flat, then look up and around to see who's watching, then get up like nothing happened when there's not ref. It TOTALLY reminds me of naughty children.
    To me, that is a pathetic way to play a game. I can't stand that part of soccer.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

I'am relieved that France have lost. I knew that they did'nt have any chance and that they did'nt deserve to win but I still doubting. But now that issue is resolved. There's tons of more interesting team in that competition. I'm impatient to see South Africa Beat France for example. I'm expecting for a 3-0 or something like that, oh yeah!
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    To me, that is a pathetic way to play a game. I can't stand that part of soccer.
    Agreed. When I played it in high school I would have been heartily ashamed to writhe about on the ground clutching my ankle, whether the agony was real or not. I think its an extremely cynical attitude to play with that undermines the sport's prestige and credibility. And in this part of the world it just adds fuel to the fire for the critics of football.

I think it should be an automatic red card if they are caught and suspension if the ref misses it. If more isn't done, before long the team that wins any given match will simply be the one that cheats the most effectively.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

The thing is, it's the smart play. When you're at the highest level of talent, set pieces become so lethal because of the place kicker's ability to spot the ball very well and the attackers' ability to get clean headers. Not as easy in high school.