• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

WORLD CUP 2010

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Jesus, worse than I expected. At least I was right when I got angry because they didn't let Quagliarella play, he was clearly the best player in that team.

If they had Buffon, the outcome may have turned out differently. Although we can't blame Marchetti for letting those goals in this game, Buffon could have made the saves on those shots, as we've seen him pull off similar tasks in the past. He was capable of stopping virtually all of them, especially the last one, he could have dealt with it just by coming off his line quickly enough and his ability to read the game could have well allowed him to do that.

I remember in 2006 he stopped Zidane' powerful header from the six yard box that was going right under the bar to the left of Buffon, 95% of keepers would not have been able to pull that off. Similarly, in 2008, he stopped a Romanian penalty and Marchetti most likely would not have, had he played in that game which would have led Italy to be eliminated from the EURO cup.

Italy? By miles the most controversial side since World Cup '94 - beaten by Slovakia today. I'm lost for words, honestly. How did it happen?

-It has been announced that the coach will be terminated after the end of the world cup which destabilized the team and lowered the morale of the entire squad.
-The player are getting old.
-Poor selections as FDG managed, I suspect that the team selections were in part inspired by a nationalistic bias, only one Italian player plays for a non-Italian club and they don't have a single black player when certainly they'd benefit from the contributions of black Italians. Some of them are enormously qualified, such as Mario Ballotelli.
-Their tactics of inconspicuously injuring opponents and diving are getting old and Howard Webb was astute enough to see right through that sham.
-Lack of outstanding goalkeeping. As you may see, Italians gave up very few scoring opportunities in the tournament, they've only allowed 6 shots on target, 5 of which have went in. One of the reasons they were able to succeed with this level of defensive performance was due to the fact that Buffon was able to make the few remarkable saves that were necessary, yet the replacement keeper was not able to pull it off. Essentially, this is a consequence of playing in a very defensive manner. Virtually any defense will make mistakes here and there and allow an opponent at least a few clear-cut scoring chances, in order to prevent those chances from turning into goals, goaltending brilliance will be necessary and that was lacking in the Italian team.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
If they had Buffon, the outcome may have turned out differently. Although we can't blame Marchetti for letting those goals in this game, Buffon could have made the saves on those shots, as we've seen him pull off similar tasks in the past. He was capable of stopping virtually all of them, especially the last one, he could have dealt with it just by coming off his line quickly enough and his ability to read the game could have well allowed him to do that.

True, yes; although I think it's really unwise to base your defensive strategy on your goalkeeper (I know that we did that for quite a long time, of course I wasn't happy)...Buffon was the best goalkeeper in the world 4 years ago, he started playing in Serie A when he was 17, so we're probably going to need a long time to find someone else at his level...

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
True, yes; although I think it's really unwise to base your defensive strategy on your goalkeeper (I know that we did that for quite a long time, of course I wasn't happy)...Buffon was the best goalkeeper in the world 4 years ago, he started playing in Serie A when he was 17, so we're probably going to need a long time to find someone else at his level...

Not if you have a great one. Look at Germany in 2002? Kahn was the whole team. But yeah, for most, not going to work.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Arrivederci! O, e vaffunculi, bastardi.

Ehm, that's quite a big insult, but it's okay I am against censorship...just pay attention because if you happen to be in Italy and say that out loud you might get a bad reaction.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Ehm, that's quite a big insult, but it's okay I am against censorship...just pay attention because if you happen to be in Italy and say that out loud you might get a bad reaction.

Oh, I'm aware. :D The only thing that's just as much fun as supporting your own side is hating another, and gli Azzurri just happen to be my object of derision. Ciao :)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Oh, I'm aware. :D The only thing that's just as much fun as supporting your own side is hating another, and gli Azzurri just happen to be my object of derision. Ciao :)

Certo, sei un bastardo figlio di puttana :)

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I am suprised SolitaryWalker is not outraged at the diving and time-wasting of Slovakian players. Also nodoby is complaining that Italy had a good goal disallowed. :whistling:

Not that Italy deserved to go through - I am just saying, is all.

Also: would like to see Japan go through tonight. Denmark are quite boring.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Also nodoby is complaining that Italy had a good goal disallowed. :whistling:.

Which goal? The offside or the one cleared off the line? The offside goal should have been disallowed as the Italian forward had part of his foot ahead of the defender when the pass was made.

I am suprised SolitaryWalker is not outraged at the diving and time-wasting of Slovakian players..

I saw a bit of time-wasting, not so sure about diving. But what goes around comes around, the Italians deserve to be hampered by the diving of their opponents as they've over-played that card themselves.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Which goal? The offside or the one cleared off the line? The offside goal should have been disallowed as the Italian forward had part of his foot ahead of the defender when the pass was made.

I saw a bit of time-wasting, not so sure about diving. But what goes around comes around, the Italians deserve to be hampered by the diving of their opponents as they've over-played that card themselves.

The offside one was too close to call. Usually the benefit of doubt goes to the attacking team.

Slovakia didn't waste time or repeatedly feign injury to "give Italy a taste of their own medicine". They just did it to win the game. Which is what most teams do, some more some less.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
The offside one was too close to call. Usually the benefit of doubt goes to the attacking team.

Slovakia didn't waste time or repeatedly feign injury to "give Italy a taste of their own medicine". They just did it to win the game. Which is what most teams do, some more some less.

tcda, you need to post more often. Like, A LOT more often. . . :D

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8

Lol. You see, an Italian would never be able to defend something that has to do with his own nation. That's one of our biggest weaknesses.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I knew all along that the U.S. would win their entire group on an injury time goal and only by goal margin over England. :rolli:

USA disallowed goals: 2

England total goals: 2