User Tag List

First 210111213142262 Last

Thread: WORLD CUP 2010

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Sweet draw! I'm sure the English goalkeeper's car is already overturned and on fire back in England.
    You've got to feel sorry for the guy.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Ahh well... what's so bad? Algeria, and Slovenia should be easy games, any way. Guess we can get by this draw.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Maybe I'm not a team player, but I don't understand why the World Cup is such a big deal. What irks me most is that ordinary people who have no knowledge of soccer and have never cared before are suddenly crazed over each and every goal made (and have heightened my aggravation with a minute-by-minute update via Twitter and Facebook).

WHO DECIDED WE SHOULD CARE?

Frankly, I think it's an excuse for people to get excited about something on a global scale, regardless of what it is, and it would seem the only thing we can agree on transculturally is a genuine love of competition sports. So to that:

BTW, I only watch the Cup for the smokin' hott fooozball players.

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    You were going to say, "just fucking enjoy the game," or "just fucking leave the thread," weren't you?

I have come to the conclusion I dont want to respond to this so Im not going to tell you. I am aware that it does look like Im responding to you but just to make it clear, Im not responding to you or am gonna do it about that question.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Sweet draw! I'm sure the English goalkeeper's car is already overturned and on fire back in England.
    Haha, doubt it, stuff like that doesn't happen really. It will just be remembered for the rest of his life and held against him, mocked by comedians in search of a cheap joke, repeated by pundits, etc. Even if he ends up winning the nobel peace prize, becoming the president of a small independent nation, and becoming the greatest goalkeeper in history (alright, scratch this last, it's too unfeasible), the first question he will be asked in interviews in 50 years' time will still inevitably be: "Do you remember that shocker you allowed in during the match England should have won against the USA during the 2010 World Cup? Dreadful, wasn't it? How does it make you feel now?"

No one does ritual social humiliation quite like the British... I don't quite know which is worse actually.

I can't hope for wardrobe malfunction?
    Well, now that would be kind of interesting... more interesting than the bitching about a game you evidently don't understand anyway. Though I suppose if your brother's making you watch it, and has insensitive enough hearing he actually has the sound on, it counts as some kind of excuse..

People watch the Superbowl for the commercial and races for the crashes, I don't see how this is any different.
    Eh? That would be like saying people watch football for the sendings off, or the moments where they dive to the floor and demonstrate their mime skills by rolling round in agony until carried off for urgent medical attention because someone brushed their shirt, then make a magic recovery 5 minutes later. Alright, the last is quite funny, unless it gets a player from your own side sent off or a goal scored, but I think you'll find it has little to do with why people watch. They watch for the play, and in the hope of someone scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    Maybe I'm not a team player, but I don't understand why the World Cup is such a big deal. What irks me most is that ordinary people who have no knowledge of soccer and have never cared before are suddenly crazed over each and every goal made (and have heightened my aggravation with a minute-by-minute update via Twitter and Facebook).

WHO DECIDED WE SHOULD CARE?
    Obviously it seems like a novelty for many Americans because they don't usually have any interest in the sport, and are unused to following international competitions. But for most other people they have at least some interest in the sport all the time, it's the national sport or second sport of the majority of nations around the world, and represents a true pinnacle of international sporting achievement, and is a source of patriotic pride for any nation that does well. The players are representing their nation on the world stage. I don't buy into that myself, but I certainly see why other people do.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post

Obviously it seems like a novelty for many Americans because they don't usually have any interest in the sport, and are unused to following international competitions. But for most other people they have at least some interest in the sport all the time, it's the national sport or second sport of the majority of nations around the world, and represents a true pinnacle of international sporting achievement, and is a source of patriotic pride for any nation that does well. The players are representing their nation on the world stage. I don't buy into that myself, but I certainly see why other people do.
    We are used to international competitions. They're called the olympics.

They make such funny faces and fall down a lot, though. I guess that's slightly amusing. This guy was grabbing his head when he fell on his shoulder. It's like these guys are poorly programmed androids.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

We are used to international competitions. They're called the olympics.

They make such funny faces and fall down a lot, though. I guess that's slightly amusing. This guy was grabbing his head when he fell on his shoulder. It's like these guys are poorly programmed androids.
    Lol, how many people care about Athletics and follow them closely over there compared to the major team sports? I could be wrong, but I suspect it's very few...

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I don't care for football and everything that comes with it. Everything is already so orange here. Brr. Obsessive bunch of people in this country.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

^ Haha, does that mean you're not FROM the Netherlands, then, Fluffy?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I saw part of the Argentina / Nigeria game today.
    The Argentines were very aggressive comapred to the Nigerians.
    Many a time I looked at the TV there was a Nigerian player on the ground, whingin about something, and then I saw the instant replay, and saw the elbow that went up in some guys chest, or an ankle that got kicked, or some other painful unplanned mishap.

Remember folks, soccer is a CONTACT SPORT.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro