• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Guitar solos in rock music: yay or nay?

What is your opinion on guitar solos in rock?

• Total voters

Omission1234

I really like guitar solo's, I like alot of music and alot of rock. Really well placed and fun solo's are where its at. I love Rory Gallagher's solo's, John Frusciante's, Bernard Butler and Bonnie Raitt. There are also many more in all genres but thats what im listening to and learning now. The other artists in the forum so far are amazing too obviously. In short solo's are boss :D

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm glad to see the David Gilmour appreciation. He's my favorite. My guess is that he's an ISFP 9w8 sp/sx. I could talk for hours about his guitars, amps, and effects. :headphne: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYSao48WYPc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz-ijWly3Q0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0YANM9lz4c

I also love Alex Lifeson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDGm-qV4FMk :rock:

yay for sure! the longer the better...i like that jam freestyle stuff a lot...like they're just inspired all of a sudden...it's cool. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq_bITDr_90 :D

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I voted yes, but honestly I think it depends on the song. I've heard some songs without solos which I think would actually be worse with one... Just my two cents.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:unsure: Rock exists without guitar solos? I have a incurable passion for the guitar solo and would probably stick to euro-pop and other electronica if otherwise :tongue:

Ponyboy

Insert witty line here...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
In the 80's I think it may have actually been a law to have a guitar solo in the middle of a song. I'm glad those days are over. :) If its that good then make it an instrumental and ROCK ON!!!
19.gif

KDude

In the 80's I think it may have actually been a law to have a guitar solo in the middle of a song. I'm glad those days are over. :) If its that good then make it an instrumental and ROCK ON!!!
19.gif

I wasn't exactly an 80s guy, but I remember getting in an argument with a friend in the early 90s about guitar solos actually. Not sure why I remember that, but I kind of did think it was a law. He was into the Cure and Nirvana, and while I now admit they had good guitar players, I was closeminded. When it came to "alt" bands, it was still something like Jane's Addiction or Smashing Pumpkins (plenty of badass guitar playing). Also, even though Metallica got lame, just the first 5 seconds of Blackened puts most people to shame. They should have recorded a whole instrumental like that.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not only should they be mandatory, there also needs to be more dual synchronized guitar solos.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
In metal now, there seems to be a unwritten rule that your song must include a completely unrelated yet technical sounding solo during the rondo phase and it has become extremely boring. I tend to like songs/bands that either mix this up or work the solo into the existing rhythm of the song.

IMO your song is really only as good as its hook, and your solo should emerge out of that. Or at the very least, try something new.

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
They can be used well but, in my opinion, almost all of them suck. I think that they're really trite, especially if they're showy.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
This song rocks all the way around. Some crucial shredding as well.

[YOUTUBE="7xxgRUyzgs0"].[/YOUTUBE]

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
yay for sure! the longer the better...i like that jam freestyle stuff a lot...like they're just inspired all of a sudden...it's cool. :)

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The same way I feel about R&B/soulful pop singers making use of melisma - if it adds more emotion or significance to your music and can capture the audience's heart then GO FOR IT.

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
every metal band plays some random solo notes and playing some of the most generic riffs that people will hear and it is the same over and over in a lot of modern metal bands and every metalcore has some whiny vocals

All rck bands are pop driven and does not hold the highest and they need to play some real guitars solos and have musicians show their style a little bit.

sorenx7

For the solos to be really effective, a person needs to have inspiration, creativity and technical skill. There seems to be a lot of technical skill out there, but the other factors are often lacking as well as other things. For the most part, the age of great guitar solos may be over it appears.