User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on guitar solos in rock?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • I mostly enjoy them

58 59.79%
  • I like them from time to time

28 28.87%
  • I don't find them necessary for the music

10 10.31%
  • I don't like rock music

1 1.03%
First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    For those of you who don't like guitar solos, listen to Pink Floyd's "Time" once more, and reconsider your options.
    Crazy. I was listening to "Time" last week, losing myself in what an amazing solo that really is. I've heard it a thousand times and never seriously paid attention. But, you're right. It's such a draw. The David Gilmour style of solo makes a solo worth its weight and more. He gives the notes a lot of room to breathe, his tone is to die for, outstanding sense of melody, on and on.

The typical rock solo gets masturbatory and technical.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    I don't know why no one's mentioned Jimi Hendrix, since he's the guitarist's guitarist...
    I never cared for Hendrix solos. I love the rhythms he produced, though.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    INFj None

god i fucking love guitar solos. it usually varies though on how they're incorporated into the song. if it's a lyric based, emotional type song and long technical solo may not suitable because it then takes away from what the song was originally portraying....though there are a lot of metal bands nowadays that still do solos, though not as progressive and extensive as bands like led zep or pink floyd.

MBTI
    INFP

I like solos in rock when they serve the song. I tend not to care for them when their purpose is otherwise.

I think the thing I get the most pleasure from in hearing a solo is timbral expression and manipulation, especially when that expression speaks to an emotional state set up by the song.

David Gilmour's solo on Pink Floyd's "Time" is a perfect example of this, and is perhaps my favorite rock solo of all time. His control of harmonic drive and timbral response in the amp is just beautiful to me.

I guess I don't feel one way or the other about solos themselves. If they work for the situation and context, then great.

For sound texture I tend to like overdrives and germanium fuzzes, as well as the saturation of EL84 and EL34 tubes in classic British tone stack topology. Old-school I guess.

cheers,
    Ian

I love solos as long as they remain true to the song. They can lift a song out of doldrums and provide a climax. I kind of relate them to a climactic action scene 3/4 of the way through a movie.

I never really paid attention to the solo in "Time", I'll have to listen again. I have always loved Gilmour's solos in "Money" and "Comfortably Numb" though.

My favorite guitarists are Jack White, Buddy Guy, Vernon Reid, Dan Auerbach, Matthew Bellamy, David Gilmour, Pete Townshend, Billy Corgan, Prince, Robert Randolph and since it's so hard to tell who plays what, everyone who plays guitar for Lynyrd Skynyrd and My Morning Jacket.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

We all got it comin' kid Delilah's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I am going to have to give a good guitar solo a big HELLS YES!

There haven't been many in recent years that are truly worthy but Kristan Mallory of Endeverafter has piqued my interest.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjrbcoedSQM

and then of course there is teh hawtness.......
    *clinging to my face like a starfish of love* ....... PinkPiranha

MBTI
    INTP

Heck yeah. Guitar solos ftw. There is nothing in music that can get you pumped up like a well-crafted solo. I think the best time in rock was the 1970s, where the solos were an organic and integrated part of the song. The 80s stuff either had no guitars at all, or too many guys showboating. Now it seems like everyone is into piano and strings, which to me is pop, not rock. I'm ready for the return of rock.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Heck yeah. Guitar solos ftw. There is nothing in music that can get you pumped up like a well-crafted solo. I think the best time in rock was the 1970s, where the solos were an organic and integrated part of the song. The 80s stuff either had no guitars at all, or too many guys showboating. Now it seems like everyone is into piano and strings, which to me is pop, not rock. I'm ready for the return of rock.
    I'm with you babe, I miss the sound of sweaty hot dudes just shredding !

*wistful sigh*

MBTI
    INFP

There are some shredders out there, new ones. My nephew was listening to some band the other day and I could have sworn that guy was playing a weed-eater, it was so fast. The popularity of Guitar Hero is bringing life back to the guitar and solos.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jive A Turkey View Post
    The popularity of Guitar Hero is bringing life back to the guitar and solos.
    Agreed! I'm not a gamer but the DH and kids are, and the kids have taken on a whole new appreciation for some of the classic guitar solos, and me, being the "super serious old-fashioned mom" that I am, take great pride in seeing the kids ears perk up and air guitar to some of the "classics" that I love so much!

PLAY FREE BIRD!

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    Frank Zappa.

That is all.

I second that. Zappa is the best! He is not a bad composer either