User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    SEXY

Default Greatest sporting achievement of my life!

Me and my team just finished the 11 cities rowing marathon. It's traditionally an ice skating competition that has been adapted for rowing and cycling.

To give you an idea of the toughness of this rowing marathon. We raced it in 5 teams of two people (and 2 teams of 1 coxswain). It's 207 kilometres in total over open water, with lots of sharp bends, narrow bridges, rough lakes etc. It took us as near as makes no difference, 22 hours, with an additional half an hour to row to the start. We had a very old and badly balanced C2x boat which was altered for safety making it even heavier.

In total I had been up for 33 hours by the end of the race, having rowed over 46 kilometres in that period. Luckily, the conditions were absolutely perfect, the weather wasn't too hot or cold (during the night a layer of craft thermowear and a sweater did the job perfectly, during the day shorts and a shirt was more than enough). We didn't have any rain, and the wind was low.

Picks of amongst other things, my blistered hands, will follow.
    (removed)

Respect. I've never done any rowing, but that's impressive.

MBTI
    SEXY

We finished 41st out of 89 boats. We would've finished a couple places higher if it wasn't for a costly mistake when it turned out one of our maps wasn't the right one.
    (removed)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Intercepting the ball at (American) football and running the wrong way. Tacked in the other sides end zone with them scoring a safety. Would have made it to the All Stars team if not for this brilliant move. Whew close one.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

man, that is AWESOME! you should be stoked.
    congrats!

MBTI
    SEXY

Here's me before the race:

Here's me rowing:

Getting out of the boat:

Here's why I somewhere during the race realized the lamps I had bought were to big to fit under the low bridges:

As promised, my blistered hands (the one with the tape still on is mine):

Proof that we made it through all the checkpoints:
    (removed)

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Damn, that cool dude! I bet you have to be pretty fit to row. What kinds of muscles do you have to train for that?

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by Oom View Post
    Damn, that cool dude! I bet you have to be pretty fit to row. What kinds of muscles do you have to train for that?
    Yeah, it's a pretty intensive sport. Most power comes from the leg muscles (a little bit comes from the back and arms), but you need your arms, back, chest and abdominal muscles for coordination of each stroke
    (removed)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

I kinda like rowing... but am scared of getting in/out of the canoe... probably because I've fallen in more than once XD

Don't think I'd care for it as something to do for speed/competition though, it's nice to relax to, but not to compete with for me.

The fact that yeu put that much effort in is great though =3 Sorry to hear about yeur hands though XD I'd personally suggest wrapping them in electrical tape next time, gives a good grip, and limits the wear and tear ^^

Not sure if that'd help over so many hours of rowing though, might make it worse long term... not sure. Still, I have a feeling this won't be the last time yeu're out there doing something like that =3

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

hey shimmy, that is super cool!
    i would have thought back and shoulders were the dominant muscles in rowing, and legs just stabilized! crazy. i have never rowed.
    i used to kayak, but it was just solo and real slow and meditative, haha.

haha @ the lamp. did you have to lay back, lay flat, to clear those bridges?