User Tag List

First 12

That is really impressive! You use your legs a ton rowing. I used to like using the concept 2 rowers in the gym when I was at a gym that had one. You really use your legs a lot for drive.

Dali

Very impressive!

How long did you have to train for this?

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    I kinda like rowing... but am scared of getting in/out of the canoe... probably because I've fallen in more than once XD
    :steam: Canoe is the derogatory term for the boats of other teams. We row in rowing boats or racing shells. There is actually a technical difference in that in rowing the oars are physically connected to the boat, and in canoeing or kayaking they aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Don't think I'd care for it as something to do for speed/competition though, it's nice to relax to, but not to compete with for me.

The fact that yeu put that much effort in is great though =3 Sorry to hear about yeur hands though XD I'd personally suggest wrapping them in electrical tape next time, gives a good grip, and limits the wear and tear ^^

Not sure if that'd help over so many hours of rowing though, might make it worse long term... not sure. Still, I have a feeling this won't be the last time yeu're out there doing something like that =3
    I did wrap my fingers in tape. And the first part also my palm, but that doesn't work with distances this long, after a while the tape peels of and sticks to handles making you get blisters even faster. No worries, my hands hurt... a lot... but it was well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    hey shimmy, that is super cool!
    i would have thought back and shoulders were the dominant muscles in rowing, and legs just stabilized! crazy. i have never rowed.
    i used to kayak, but it was just solo and real slow and meditative, haha.

haha @ the lamp. did you have to lay back, lay flat, to clear those bridges?
    Racing shells have seats that slide back in the boat, so you can push them away, or more precisely, push the boat away underneath you using the water resistance of the oars as counter force (if that makes any sense).

And yeah, we did have to lay back a couple of times. Luckily the place I usually train has 2 low bridges as well, so we practice that every time we train.

Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    Very impressive!

How long did you have to train for this?
    I've been rowing overall for about 1,5 years now (last year we weren't allowed to participate because we didn't have enough rowing experience). We had an extremely long and cold winter in Holland though, so I didn't start rowing this year since mid February. And even then, the type of boat we rowed in ( C2x+, two rowers with two oars (skulling) and a cox) isn't a very common type and it wasn't available until a month before the race. By that time we did have plenty of experience in other types of boats (4+, 4 rowers with one oar (sweep) and a cox & 1x, one rower with two oars without cox.)
    (removed)

I'd like to hear how you trained for it. How you built up to it.

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I'd like to hear how you trained for it. How you built up to it.
    We didn't have that strict a schedule, just row whenever you get the chance, when it's raining or the wind is too hard, get on a concept 2. The number of times I rowed in a week varied as well, sometimes it would be 4 times, other weeks only once. It was all about building a fair amount of condition since 3 months isn't a lot to significantly increase your muscle power and I'm not a very muscular person too begin with. I compensate by being able to keep going at a high speed.

My team mate on the other hand is more powerful than I am, but had trouble keeping up with me after a while.
    (removed)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4/9

Wow, that's really impressive, man! Takes some serious dedication and mental toughness. Congratulations!