User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Phantonym

Guitar, cello, piano...and just about anything that can squeeze out a wonderful sound.

Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Wink My doubtless eclectic selection!

If I play it myself, I probably ought to like it on principle, otherwise why bother? Well, I'll list the instruments I like most out of what I play, there are a few others I can't be arsed to mention because they're not interesting or fun enough. Otherwise, I'll just list the things I most like to hear, or would like to play if I had the time/opportunity/ability. This may make the first part of the list even more eclectic than the second, as I have reason to be intimately acquainted with the fine distinctions between several obscure percussion instruments that most people haven't even heard of!

Stuff I play

Tabla

Pakhawaj

Khanjira

Mridangam

Khol

Bodhrán

Stuff I don't play

Sitar

Sarangi

Cello

Rudra Vina

Bamboo flutes (in general, there are a lot of different varieties)

Hammered dulcimers (how can anyone not like hammered dulcimers? )

Launeddas (Sardinian triple reed pipes, an ancestor of the bagpipes.)

Bagpipes are quite interesting too, as long as they're not too screechy. For this reason I think I prefer the quieter varieties such as the Border pipes. Highland bagpipes actually hurt my ears within a few hundred yards.

Guqin

Oboes (in general, both the orchestral kinds and the various other types used in folk and world music)

Violin/fiddles (as long as they're used in moderation and played well, otherwise they can be excruciatingly effective implements of aural torture)

Pipe organs/harmoniums
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    They always remind me of Bill Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree
    Bagpipes are quite interesting too, as long as they're not too screechy. For this reason I think I prefer the quieter varieties such as the Border pipes. Highland bagpipes actually hurt my ears within a few hundred yards.
    Have you heard Uileann Pipes? They're a bit gentler on the ears and actually pretty cool. I'd love to learn them at some point. Examples:
    YouTube - Davy Spillane Caoineadh Cu Chulainn Uilleann Pipes Riverdance The Show Dublin 1995 Stereo
    YouTube - Finbar Furey ~ "The Coolin" Uilleann (Irish) Pipes
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Percussion. Hands down.
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rJWW_KqeAw"]Black Fire Percussion[/YOUTUBE]

and of course, the Bb Contrabass Clarinet

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6HteNRMU5U&feature=related"]Contrabass Clarinet[/YOUTUBE]
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Oeufa View Post
    Have you heard Uileann Pipes? They're a bit gentler on the ears and actually pretty cool. I'd love to learn them at some point. Examples:
    YouTube - Davy Spillane Caoineadh Cu Chulainn Uilleann Pipes Riverdance The Show Dublin 1995 Stereo
    YouTube - Finbar Furey ~ "The Coolin" Uilleann (Irish) Pipes
    My knowledge of the Irish stuff is a bit patchy, I've probably heard them before without knowing what they are. But, yes, they do sound pretty good, thanks. I think I've got my own hands full at the moment with what I do already (literally!) but if you have the chance, I say go for it!
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The keyboard instruments are the superior instruments. They allow a single musician to do more than any other instruments do.

My preference is the organ. Organs have such powerful, fascinating sounds, and of course the eternal sustain is preferable to the piano's fade out. They are also easy to get a sound out of. Of course, the downside is that you don't have dynamic control over the organ like you do the piano.

In a lot of ways, the harpsichord is inferior to the piano, but I have a soft spot for it. I like the way it sounds.

Also, celestas are cool.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Synthesizer

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Shit, I COMPLETELY forgot the most beautiful instrument on the whole face of the Earth:

BAGPIPES!!

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO5y2O_hv3I"]Amazing Grace - Scottish Bagpipes [/YOUTUBE]
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?