User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 94

  1. #51
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Perhaps it's just offensive that a Canadian would think so little of us.

  2. #52
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    First of all, ask yourself the following question: If you were going to take over the United States, how would you do it? Would you say, "I'm a socialist and we're all going to be equal"? No, you would not, because it wouldn't work. Would you say, "I'm a liberal and we are going to have a society of multiple toleration"? You probably wouldn't say that if you wanted mass support. You would be much more likely to say, "I have the word from God and this is the way we should run things." That probably would have more of a chance of working, and in fact there are a number of movements in the States saying just that, and getting lots of dollars and influence.
    Interestingly enough, it seems all you have to say is "Hope" and "Change"...

    Oh, and be half black...

  3. #53
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Interestingly enough, it seems all you have to say is "Hope" and "Change"...

    Oh, and be half black...
    No, no, everyone knows he doesn't have much real power.

    All you have to do is be a Midwesterner and a half-Russian guy with a brilliant idea in Sillicon Valley.

    I mean, honestly, there are SO MANY ways to take over the United States, and that's the best she could come up with?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  4. #54
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Perhaps it's just offensive that a Canadian would think so little of us.
    LOL that's such a weak comment it doesn't even merit a reply.

    You have these issues surrounding nationality that are irrational, H. I hear the back-handed "PB is a Canadian too" slapped in there, even if you deny it.

    Why do you take such a thing personally? Truly, it almost seems you don't like the novel because Margaret Atwood is a Canadian - is that your biggest contention?
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

  5. #55
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I mean, honestly, there are SO MANY ways to take over the United States, and that's the best she could come up with?
    It's not so far-fetched: you should read what's happening in the world to see that issues of procreation wrapped in religious practice very convincingly guide people's lives ...

    Quiverfull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

  6. #56
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    LOL that's such a weak comment it doesn't even merit a reply.

    You have these issues surrounding nationality that are irrational, H. I hear the back-handed "PB is a Canadian too" slapped in there, even if you deny it.

    Why do you take such a thing personally? Truly, it almost seems you don't like the novel because Margaret Atwood is a Canadian - is that your biggest contention?
    No, it's not because she's Canadian. It just sounds like she has a damn-loaded agenda from her interview. I am wondering where the hell she is getting her perspective that there is only "Socialist" or "Liberal" and then "Messenger from God" when trying to take over a country.

    Who knows? Maybe I just hate her because she's a woman.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  7. #57
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Perhaps it's just offensive that a Canadian would think so little of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    LOL that's such a weak comment it doesn't even merit a reply.

    You have these issues surrounding nationality that are irrational, H. I hear the back-handed "PB is a Canadian too" slapped in there, even if you deny it.

    Why do you take such a thing personally? Truly, it almost seems you don't like the novel because Margaret Atwood is a Canadian - is that your biggest contention?
    Hey, I think there's merit to her comment.

    This woman is a Canadian writing about America, and, as such, her dystopic vision relates to her vision of America.

    Perhaps this American just tends to think this Canadian doesn't have the slightest clue about what America really is like.

  8. #58
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    It's not so far-fetched...
    Maybe she just disagrees on this point, PB?

    *ahem*

    As I pointed to in my first response...

  9. #59
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    ^ well you could also say that someone in the South knows nothing about the midwest, or vice versa, or someone in New York has a totally different experience than someone in California.

    Margaret Atwood lived in the US for several years; gives her as much a right to comment on it as anyone else I suspect.

    Edit: and bear in mind, she lived in the US in the 60's and early 70's - totally different world. To expect her to conform to your experience is ludicrous.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

  10. #60
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Margaret Atwood lived in the US for several years; gives her as much a right to comment on it as anyone else I suspect.
    I never said she didn't have the right.

    I've read The Constitution (you know, the founding document that would ensure that her bullshit vision would never actually occur), and it grants her that right in its First Ammendment.

    I just said that she doesn't seem to know what she's talking about.

Similar Threads

  1. The Handmaid's Tale
    By iwakar in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-25-2017, 11:00 AM
  2. [MBTItm] I don't quite understand the reasoning for the MBTI Typology...
    By Jcbfehr1 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 04:06 PM
  3. I suspect that I don't understand the economy
    By Eileen in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-08-2008, 09:16 PM
  4. To understand the object of study is to leave it
    By wildcat in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-23-2007, 03:18 AM
  5. Please Don't Feed the Trolls
    By Economica in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 115
    Last Post: 09-13-2007, 10:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO