User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 94

  1. #21
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Amazing.

    But anyway, that's not the point. The point is at the top of the post.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  2. #22
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Is that it? That it seemed like this had a chance to happen *to some people of particular cultural and political biases*, but it didn't, because we are not apt to plunge into depths of inaccurate dystopic visions but instead suffer whiplash by being yanked back and forth?
    See bolds, italics, and strikethroughs for how I think it could be better put.

  3. #23
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    H, I added a bunch more references for your enjoyment in that post too.

    Again, what IS your question?
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

  4. #24
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    H, I added a bunch more references for your enjoyment in that post too.

    Again, what IS your question?
    I think I've been offering answers to it, PB.

    I think it's, "Why did the vision in this book not affect me?"

    (PB: fyi, I decided to offer my opinions on this topic, because I'd written a few posts back and forth with Haphazard about dystopic visions in other authors [Orwell, Philip K. Dick, Bradbury, and Huxley] just minutes before she posted this one.)

  5. #25
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Usually in books I am very interested in historical context. I did an entire research project on the historical context of various satires, after all.

    However I tried to look up historical contexts for this book but what I found was people saying how "frightening" and "relevant" it was.

    I suppose I'm not used to the culture shock.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  6. #26
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Usually in books I am very interested in historical context. I did an entire research project on the historical context of various satires, after all.

    However I tried to look up historical contexts for this book but what I found was people saying how "frightening" and "relevant" it was.

    I suppose I'm not used to the culture shock.
    Sorry, Haphazard, but I don't really know anything about you, other than that my girlfriend thinks you're extremely bright.

    Mind filling me in a bit on where you're from and anything else you might feel is relevant (I already know you're approximate age), so that I might have a better clue as to why the vision in the book seems to not resonate with you personally?

  7. #27
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Sorry, Haphazard, but I don't really know anything about you, other than that my girlfriend thinks you're extremely bright.

    Mind filling me in a bit on where you're from and anything else you might feel is relevant (I already know you're approximate age), so that I might have a better clue as to why the vision in the book seems to not resonate with you personally?
    17, Jewish, suburbanite with severe money troubles. I do not live in a "liberal" area of the USA, but the flavor of conservatism is not redneckish but more of the wealthy sort.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  8. #28
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    17, Jewish, suburbanite with severe money troubles. I do not live in a "liberal" area of the USA, but the flavor of conservatism is not redneckish but more of the wealthy sort.
    Bingo.

  9. #29
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Bingo.
    Which part? That I'm young, that I'm Jewish, that my neighbors are upper-middle-class conservatives?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  10. #30
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I think I've been offering answers to it, PB.

    I think it's, "Why did the vision in this book not affect me?"
    Thanks Z; I was seeing what you were answering, but I was hoping H could articulate it more completely, more ... specifically. I wanted to pin down the source of the discontent.

    Question still stands.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    (PB: fyi, I decided to offer my opinions on this topic, because I'd written a few posts back and forth with Haphazard about dystopic visions in other authors [Orwell, Philip K. Dick, Bradbury, and Huxley] just minutes before she posted this one.)
    Thanks for providing the context.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Similar Threads

  1. The Handmaid's Tale
    By iwakar in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-25-2017, 11:00 AM
  2. [MBTItm] I don't quite understand the reasoning for the MBTI Typology...
    By Jcbfehr1 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 04:06 PM
  3. I suspect that I don't understand the economy
    By Eileen in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-08-2008, 09:16 PM
  4. To understand the object of study is to leave it
    By wildcat in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-23-2007, 03:18 AM
  5. Please Don't Feed the Trolls
    By Economica in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 115
    Last Post: 09-13-2007, 10:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO