User Tag List

First 8910

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

^ I didn't say the author gets to "classify" their own work, at all. I am saying they likely feel the right to do so. Irrespective of nationality.

Read this too: Why don't we love science fiction? - Times Online
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    ENFJ

Pushing aside the Science Fiction in favor of being "great literature" give an inflated label to "literary fiction," which has just as much crap as the "science fiction" genre, perhaps more so, because there is more push to have one's novel labeled as it.

Which is disgusting.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I read The Handmaid's Tale, years ago, so my memory of it may be a bit rusty. It made a big impression on me precisely because I saw in contemporary society the seeds of what could all too easily lead to the kind of society depicted. It wasn't that I actually thought this might happen; I relied, perhaps naively, on mitigating better impulses to stop things before they got that far. I saw it more as the logical endpoint of many of the arguments used by opponents of reproductive freedom and women's empowerment. In other words, if someone did not espouse the type of reproductive control and enforced gender roles shown in The Handmaid's Tale, it was inconsistent for them to espouse the more modest forms of control showing up on actual ballots and legislation.

If I recall correctly from the book, the U.S. as a political entity had disintegrated or fragmented due to factors that may not have been well specified. Gilead thus encompassed geographically just a subset of the current U.S. The protagonist's attempt to flee with her family at the start of the book shows that things were different just across the border. The deterioration of her status after college may seem rapid, but is not unrealistic. The Nazis' restrictions on Jews were implemented just as quickly, broadly, and effectively.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I perhaps do not see the coherency in society that you do. It's nice that you do, I suppose, because you believe you can get things done, but also that things like that seem more attainable. I see degeneration anarchy as more likely.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge