User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default I HAVE WRITER'S BLOCK!!!!!!!!!! WHY GOD, WHY!?

Make writing prompts (instructions that help someone with writer’s block get a paragraph or two of story out of him)

Here’s mine:
    Give yourself 30 seconds and make a list of things you can find at a hospital
    (example: lab coats, white tile, potted plants, metal trays, sick people).

Now write a scene that is as far removed from a hospital (or hospital-like) as possible.
    (example: under the ocean, in the eye of a tornado, from the perspective of a 20th century man who has been sent back in time.)
    Q: "What is the process of seeking the truth?"
    A: "Distilled liquor"

Q: "If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?"
    A: "Between a starving prostitute and a steak sandwich."

Q:How would a mathematician capture an elephant?
    A:He would build a cage, step inside, and rename his new location as "outside."

MBTI
    INTJ

Mine:
    Think of earth, but subtract one thing (light, gravity, the lithosphere, flowering plants, people and animals with IQ's over 60) and create an ecosystem (lifeforms) that would thrive there.

(if earth had no lithosphere [the crust + the upper most part of the mantle] then animals and plants would have a high tollerence for heat. Animals would have fiew cells. Anything taken out of the lava would freez to death at normal temperatures.)

Create a scene in a story that involves this world /characters/ concepts.
    Q: "What is the process of seeking the truth?"
    A: "Distilled liquor"

Q: "If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?"
    A: "Between a starving prostitute and a steak sandwich."

Q:How would a mathematician capture an elephant?
    A:He would build a cage, step inside, and rename his new location as "outside."

MBTI
    ENTP

Mine:

A character wakes up in an alternate reality. That alternate reality looks on the surface just like his (her) own, but there is one difference.
    Everything always goes as planned. Trains never get too late, remote controls always work from the first time; if you want a certain product there is plenty of it in the store...
    Of course, if the character is too late with anything, it's assumed it is his fault, because only that can make something deviate from perfection.

Easy: the character is a Perceiver.

Difficult: the character is a 60% Judger.

The story begins when the character notices for the first time there is something strange.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

I don't know why you have writer's block, I don't, for when I sit down to write I become a different person.

The person before I sit down to write has no idea at all what to write, and is mildly panicky at the thought of writing. But the person sitting down, just looks into himself and writes what he sees.

I must admit I am mildly annoyed with you - why don't you just look into yourself and write what you see?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Isn't it easier to write when you have something in your head to write down? People frequently write books about their experience or articles about something they have uncovered. I figure that if you're writing creatively, you need something in your head before you can do it? Even the most creative and original art had to be inspired by a collection of memories and information. You can't force something from nothing, your head would explode! So fill your head with experience, knowledge, advice or random crap.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I don't know why you have writer's block, I don't, for when I sit down to write I become a different person.

The person before I sit down to write has no idea at all what to write, and is mildly panicky at the thought of writing. But the person sitting down, just looks into himself and writes what he sees.

I must admit I am mildly annoyed with you - why don't you just look into yourself and write what you see?
    Because not everyone works like you do.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

hmm... I see a liver, it seems to be quite livery and such... ooh! is that a kidney! it really IS shaped like a bean! oh my... lungs, they look nicely squishy, wonder if they could work as a beanbag for a mouse? ....

I don't think that would make a very good story

how about list the ingredients that you would need to make your favorite salad?

and then ponder what would happen if the world was invaded by giant lettuce monsters who ate people by enveloping them into their leaves, which work something like the leaves of sundew plants? How would humanity defeat these horrible monsters or would we get consumed by the vegetable we so wontonly cloak with salad dressing on a daily basis? Would humans interbreed with the lettuce monsters eventually and create lettucemen? So on and so forth...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Oberon

I think that's the entire explanation for your posting history here, Victor. It's just that succinct.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I think that's the entire explanation for your posting history here, Victor. It's just that succinct.
    I've NEVER read about his liver yet
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I've NEVER read about his liver yet
    Next exercise:
    Give yourself 30 seconds and make a list of things you can find in Victor's abdomen. (example: liver, heard, spleen, navel, last night's dinner, bottle of Tums, etc..

Now write a scene that is as far removed from Victor's abdomen (or abdomen-like) as possible.
    (example: in a New York deli, in the mind of a demented junkyard dog in love, from the perspective of a 20th century man who is falling from an airplane and has 12 seconds to live, an online MBTI forum, etc.)

EDIT: Back to seriousness... On occasion I can write like Victor. And sometimes I just get one idea and it powerkegs off many other ideas and it's an explosion that I have to rush to capture. Other times I really have to do exercises to "trigger" a thought. And so there you can see the pattern -- I need a kernel of SOMETHING to respond to. I'm a responder and reactor.

I know people who actually benefit from being very structured when writing. We are all different.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft