User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Wow, I forgot I started this thread. You'd think I'd remember this kind of thing. Oh well.

The original purpose of this thread was to compile a list of Writer’s block killing activities and suggestions in order to help writers get through to the next burst of inspiration.
    ---===---
    My suggestion:
    (When you're stuck not knowing what to do when making a fiction story):
    Take what ever you've writen so far and make a flow chart (or a bulleted list) out of it. Sometimes the flow chart idea helps you figure out what you want to do next in your story, sometimes it helps you find the fundimental flaw that has been keeping you stuck.

Last edited by ObeyBunny; 05-14-2010 at 04:18 PM.
    Q: "What is the process of seeking the truth?"
    A: "Distilled liquor"

Q: "If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?"
    A: "Between a starving prostitute and a steak sandwich."

Q:How would a mathematician capture an elephant?
    A:He would build a cage, step inside, and rename his new location as "outside."

MBTI
    INTJ

Anybody else have a writing prompt they wish to share? Does it deal with writing in general or a spesific situation (like helping Sci-fi writers create a believable alien)?

/)_/)
    ('.-')
    /(")(")

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Do as your charactor

If you’re having trouble figuring out what your character is likely to do next because you can’t relate to what your character is currently going through (or if you simply want to make sure that your character isn’t doing anything atypical of his personality), then try this technique:

Whatever scene you’re stuck on, put yourself in a similar situation as your character.:workout:
    ---
    Example:
    • If your character is a scout who spends at least part of his time camping in the woods and setting cooking fires, you should try
      1. setting up a tent made of bed sheets and sticks,
        -
      2. then try worming up some hotdogs in a frying pan over your grill (you don’t use propane to fuel the fire, though),
        -
      3. then try curling up inside your tent and sleeping for an hour.

• If your character is a murderer but you can’t seem to put yourself in his state of mind, then try this exercise:
      -
      1. Do a google search on peoples’ faces,
        -
      2. print out one picture that is small enough to leave plenty of white space around the photo so that you can write things next to the picture.
        -
      3. Next to the picture, write several words and phrases explaining why they deserve to die, how you would do it, and why it would be fun.
        -
      4. Next, at the top of the page, give the face a name that sounds pleasant to you.
        -
      5. Finally, burn the photo

this accomplishes two things. First, you’ve (in your mind) killed that person. Second, you don’t want criminal looking stuff in your house. DON’T SAVE THE PHOTO!!!!!!!

• If your character is an alien in a space ship and you’re having trouble making that character seem believable, try this exercise:
      1. Build a model of some of the rooms of the spaceship out of old shoe boxes. Alternatively, if you have the time and materials, you can dress up a room in your house to look like some of the rooms of the spaceship- but I don’t suggest this if you happen to be working on several stories at once.
        -
      2. Next Think of your character’s menial duties that aren’t related to the plot (like washing laundry, cutting bricks of compacted coffee grounds into usable portions, sorting through his personal mail, removing hand written “U R STOOPID FUCKER” signs taped to his locker.) This will help your audience recognize that your character has gone through significant changes from his regular life to when the first event of the story happened. Your character can compare what ever hard tasks he has to the easy but boring tasks he’s used to.
        -
      3. Another thing you can do is to cook some alien looking food (cook pancakes that were fried in black food coloring, served with a side of dry seaweed paper stuff that raps around sushi)
        -
      4. spend the afternoon living like an alien (contemplating how much you don’t want to do any of those menial tasks you thought of earlier)

This technique should work even for parts of your story that you aren’t stuck on. We readers can accept that your character eventually started a fire and camped successfully, but it would make reading those passages much more engaging if you’re able to draw in your readers with a scene’s sensory detail, character emotion, genuine struggle, and moment to moment thoughts.

So go out and experience your character’s trials for yourself. Try building a wood fire and feeling the humiliation when you waste half your matches building a fire that lasted 5 minutes.

MBTI
    INTJ

Ask people what they’d do if they were in a similar situation as your character.
    Example:
    “What would you do if your husband died and your son blamed you as a murder (and the son would not believe you if you say ‘I did not kill your father’)?”

Or

“What would you do if you spent all of your life on a carnival cruse ship when, one day, it crashes on land. And while you’re searching for food, the ship gets fixed and sails away from the island without you?” (if you can’t tell, the ‘carnival cruse ship’ is actually a paper thin allegory for a generational spaceship, and crashing on land is supposed to represent landing on a planet.)

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Your adorable?

I'd prove to my son I loved his father too much to ever kill him If he doesn't believe, I'd prove it logically.
    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    St. Stephen took rocks and St. Sebastian took arrows. You only have to take some jerks on an internet forum. Nut up.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbows View Post
    Your adorable?

I'd prove to my son I loved his father too much to ever kill him If he doesn't believe, I'd prove it logically.
    Your name is Jan?
    Sorry, I just took those names (and that story) and used them in a throw-away plot to illistrate what I meant by "put what you had in a flow chart."

MBTI
    INTJ

No one is interested in making writing promts? Should I delete the thread?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

On a Scientific Writing class my teacher gave me few tips how to avoid writer's block. Even thought it's not creative writing, I think these tips might actually help...

First of all, when you finish your writing session, don't finish your sentence. Leaving the last sentence/paragraph unfinished, you instantly have something to start working on when you get back to your text next time.

The second option would be trying to get into "a flow". A flow is a state of mind where things come naturally to you, and your mind becomes reactive towards the process. That is, whatever you do, you do without much thinking. To obtain such a state, there are multiple exercises. One such a technique is to just make yourself write down everything that comes in your mind. Anything and everything, even thought it wouldn't make much sense. Soon you'll get the hang of it, and you'll be able to produce text that makes sense without much effort.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Habba View Post
    On a Scientific Writing class my teacher gave me few tips how to avoid writer's block. Even thought it's not creative writing, I think these tips might actually help...

First of all, when you finish your writing session, don't finish your sentence. Leaving the last sentence/paragraph unfinished, you instantly have something to start working on when you get back to your text next time.
    Interesting technique. I wonder if it can be used for passages that you've already finished.

I'm going to try it tonight: I'll take a few scenes that I've already completed and delete the endings to them (after making and saving copies, of course) and then see how many new scenes I can draft up.

MBTI
    TRUE

Quote Originally Posted by ObeyBunny View Post
    Should I delete the thread?
    Not sure the topic is going to draw a large audience. Not all writers experience writer's block, and if they don't, what advice could they offer? I will continue to follow the thread, but have nothing much to offer beyond an answer to the question asked.

That answer is no.
    Naked to unknown forces, fortune evades mere understanding. The trial of effort.
    The dream of change. Such a place might Hell be to thought and action.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]