User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    Ape

Default Books that changed your life

Please add any books that changed your outlook/philosophy on life.

1. The Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu

2. Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

3. The Universe in a Nutshell - Steven Hawking
    Wyrd is a concept in Anglo-Saxon and Nordic culture roughly corresponding to fate. It is ancestral to Modern English weird, which has acquired a very different meaning.

MBTI
    INTP

Families and how to survive them
    Life and how to survive it
    both by Robyn Skinner & John Cleese

These books completely changed how I view myself, other people and the world. I read these books about 5 years ago and I am still thinking and processing the content and slotting it into how I see the world.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by wyrdsister View Post
    Please add any books that changed your outlook/philosophy on life.

1. The Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu

2. Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

3. The Universe in a Nutshell - Steven Hawking

Whenever someone asks me this question the first book I think of I read when I was 8.

A Wrinkle In Time - It was the first book I'd read that wasn't down to earth...it was beyond a fairy tale. I loved it!

The Bible

Brave New World
    Last edited by Littlelostnf; 05-01-2007 at 02:32 PM.
    for my life is slowed up by thought and the need to understand what I am living.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

1.) The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (from it I learned that I love to read)

2.) The Boundaries Book (from it I learned when it was okay not to help people)

3.) The Bible (has pretty much shaped my thoughts on morality, etc)
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    Ape

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    1.) The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (from it I learned that I love to read)

2.) The Boundaries Book (from it I learned when it was okay not to help people)

3.) The Bible (has pretty much shaped my thoughts on morality, etc)
    I read the whole series of those CS Lewis books. I loved them.

Wyrd is a concept in Anglo-Saxon and Nordic culture roughly corresponding to fate. It is ancestral to Modern English weird, which has acquired a very different meaning.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by wyrdsister View Post
    I read the whole series of those CS Lewis books. I loved them.

They're pretty great, aren't they? I hooked my younger daughter up with The Horse and His Boy last night when she was looking for something to read. Don read the entire series to the kids several yeas ago, but I think only our oldest daughter remembers it.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INXP

The Hobbit. It awoke an interest in a whole new world (I was about 5).

Life on Earth by David Attenborough, it taught me the story of life, and evolution and all kinds of things I never really thought about before. I was 7.

The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, it introduced me to a wacky, sarcastic wonderful sci fi world of humour I fell in love with. I was 7 too.

MBTI
    INTP

The Character of Physical Law by Richard Feynman, PhD, Winner of the Nobel Prize in Physics
    INTP 5W6

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    The Hobbit. It awoke an interest in a whole new world (I was about 5).

Life on Earth by David Attenborough, it taught me the story of life, and evolution and all kinds of things I never really thought about before. I was 7.

The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, it introduced me to a wacky, sarcastic wonderful sci fi world of humour I fell in love with. I was 7 too.
    You read these things at 5 and 7?

Fine. I read Caunterbury Tales in the 6th grade. *hairflip*

Seriously-- you must've been a pretty advanced kid. I was a remarkable reader but I was still on Little House and Nancy Drew at 7.

As for the thread topic, I've been changed by many books. Many have already been mentioned in this thread. The bible, yes. Maybe not for the reasons people might think. Frederick Douglass's autobiography helped me to shake off the vestiges of racism I was brought up with. And A Wrinkle In Time and Ender's Game introduced me to sci-fi, NF style.

Also, I read a book a few years ago that I've carried with me since: Children of the Self-Absorbed, which helped me in the way that cafe said her boundaries book helped her. My parents and in-laws can be difficult to get along with and it has helped to know where I end and they begin.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    You read these things at 5 and 7?

Fine. I read Caunterbury Tales in the 6th grade. *hairflip*

Seriously-- you must've been a pretty advanced kid. I was a remarkable reader but I was still on Little House and Nancy Drew at 7.

As for the thread topic, I've been changed by many books. Many have already been mentioned in this thread. The bible, yes. Maybe not for the reasons people might think. Frederick Douglass's autobiography helped me to shake off the vestiges of racism I was brought up with. And A Wrinkle In Time and Ender's Game introduced me to sci-fi, NF style.

Also, I read a book a few years ago that I've carried with me since: Children of the Self-Absorbed, which helped me in the way that cafe said her boundaries book helped her. My parents and in-laws can be difficult to get along with and it has helped to know where I end and they begin.
    I can't actually remember not being able to read, while my mother taught my sister (she is 18 months older) how to read, I must have been listening and absorbing, because when she tried to introduce me to words at 3 I could already read.. apparently.

As for fairly scientific treatises...like Life on Earth, I can remember it freaking the teacher out that I was reading it at 7. She basically accused me of just looking at pictures (I'd brought it in from home) and recommending I stick to stuff like Peter Rabbit. After I'd explained to her in some detail about the chapter on Protozoa and its place in early life, she left me alone with my books

By way of balance, I got my words late... I didnt speak until 3 or so, and even then i was composing and using my own nonsense language (did I ever stop ), apparently because of intellectual boredom, but it could just be I'm odd....

It's difficult to know what's normal, or not, when you have only yourself as an example.

-Geoff