User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ

The book that change my life was "Beyond Good and Evil" by Nietzsche. It made me realize how everything was relative and there was not one right/wrong...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Apollo 13/Lost moon (I rewad it around 3rd/4th grade the first time, than later grades)
    Various other science books (I can't remember their names)

There aren't exactly 3 books, but these early ones got me interested in science/math/technology, and thanks to finding them really intertesting I got myself set on a science/technology oriented life path.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    It's difficult to explain, and I'm sure it comes across as a little lot odd.

I don't remember a time when I couldn't read. Books were companions before I was old enough to make friends.

For me, a book is different from other media. It's being able to walk around in someone's mind, but put my own visual spin on it. If I want to escape, I can. If I want to be instructed, I can be. It's constant and comforting.
    When you have a book, you never have to stay anyplace you don't want to be. You have a paper escape hatch.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Bunnicula!

I read the series, or as much as had been written at the time I started reading them. Good fun. There was a TV show? Or special?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I can't actually remember not being able to read, while my mother taught my sister (she is 18 months older) how to read, I must have been listening and absorbing, because when she tried to introduce me to words at 3 I could already read.. apparently.

As for fairly scientific treatises...like Life on Earth, I can remember it freaking the teacher out that I was reading it at 7. She basically accused me of just looking at pictures (I'd brought it in from home) and recommending I stick to stuff like Peter Rabbit. After I'd explained to her in some detail about the chapter on Protozoa and its place in early life, she left me alone with my books

By way of balance, I got my words late... I didnt speak until 3 or so, and even then i was composing and using my own nonsense language (did I ever stop ), apparently because of intellectual boredom, but it could just be I'm odd....

It's difficult to know what's normal, or not, when you have only yourself as an example.

-Geoff
    Same here I really don't remember a time when I didn't read. My mom says that she and my dad and my aunts read to us all the time but I honestly can't remember. I DO remember teaching my little brother to read. We both read before kindergarten. I went into K and had reading with the 1st and then the 2nd graders. I always had my head in a book...still do. (I read while I drive and I drive a stick...sigh...(one day I won't be posting due to my excitment over chapter 2 while on the GSP) I'm trying to stop that extremely dangerous bad bad habit...
    for my life is slowed up by thought and the need to understand what I am living.

MBTI
    ENFJ

It's difficult to explain, and I'm sure it comes across as a little lot odd.

I don't remember a time when I couldn't read. Books were companions before I was old enough to make friends.

For me, a book is different from other media. It's being able to walk around in someone's mind, but put my own visual spin on it. If I want to escape, I can. If I want to be instructed, I can be. It's constant and comforting.
    You just wrote my next post with those words.
    Bloom County -- Same qualities as Dr. Seuss, but also skeptical social commentary. Gave me the idea that sardonic commentary and lovability/warmth can still go hand in hand.
    Three cheers for Berkley Breathe...I LOVE BLOOM COUNTY...Steve Dallas forever!

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time (Mark Haddon) - something beautifully simple about this book. I believe it was originally a children's story, but there's an incredible level of depth to the story.

This story allowed me to be in the head of a child who was like the children I teach. Loved it!
    for my life is slowed up by thought and the need to understand what I am living.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by wyrdsister View Post
    Please add any books that changed your outlook/philosophy on life.

1. The Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu

2. Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

3. The Universe in a Nutshell - Steven Hawking
    There shouldnt be any books that have changed your life. You by far should be mroe influenced by self than what is on the outside.

MBTI
    Ape

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    There shouldnt be any books that have changed your life. You by far should be mroe influenced by self than what is on the outside.
    Here we go again!

Wyrd is a concept in Anglo-Saxon and Nordic culture roughly corresponding to fate. It is ancestral to Modern English weird, which has acquired a very different meaning.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Yeah. After all, complex and glorious ideas just spontaneously generate within people's minds all on their lonesome.

(Heck, we can't even learn language and thus learn to think cohesively without the influence of other human beings....)

...Wait a second... you were... making a joke! yay! yay! SW made a joke!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ...Wait a second... you were... making a joke! yay! yay! SW made a joke!
    It's a step. Now we just need to work on the funny.