User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    You read these things at 5 and 7?
    My mom wouldn't even teach me to read until I was five.

Speaker for the Dead
    Bible
    Hyperion Cantos
    The collections of Hugo-winning stories at our local library
    (Yes, there's a trend there)
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

"politicus zonder partij" (politician without a party) by menno ter braak (see avatar), published in 1934

i was 15 and this was my first encounter with a like-minded person. it was an apocalyptic moment for my life until then.

i am convinced now that the author was an INTP. i had no knowledge of MBTI until much later.

the author was on the ten most wanted list of the nazis for his fierce critique of the movement. when the nazis invaded holland, ter braak hung himself.

ter braak got me interested in political philosophy, art/literary criticism and social issues. he also introduced me to nietzsche which caused a second eruption in my life.

boy, those were the days ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    INTP/5w4 sx

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

"All Quiet on the Western Front" By Maria Remarque
    "Nineteen Eighty Four" By George Orwell
    "Animal Farm." By George Orwell
    "Being and Nothingness" By Jean-Paul Sartre
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    INFP

tao te ching
    ender's game/ender's shadow
    tarzan of the apes
    catcher in the rye
    fight club
    rebecca

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

This sounds like a throwaway response, but I mean it. Every book I've read has changed my life. Even if the book doesn't stick with me for the long haul, it's impacting my life at that moment.

Atlas Shrugged caused me to end a relationship when my ex said he wouldn't read a book that long. Superfudge made me want to be a writer. The Cat Ate My Gymsuit was given to me by the author, Paula Danziger, at a Young Authors' Conference, and it was like I'd met the Beatles. Beowulf was the first book I hated, and I loathed that feeling. The next time I read it, I fortunately thought it was brilliant. Billy Budd taught me that great literary works just sometimes aren't so great (and that you can write an A essay stealing bits about "light and dark imagery" from the Cliff's Notes). Even Scarlett, by Alexandra Ripley, was a truly horrid book, but it still had such lush descriptions of Ireland, it inspired me to pay a visit.

If you're really asking me to pick the greatest literary work, then I don't know. I guess I'm not willing to choose.

I... suppose. Yeah!

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    This sounds like a throwaway response, but I mean it. Every book I've read has changed my life. Even if the book doesn't stick with me for the long haul, it's impacting my life at that moment.
    exactly. that's why i read... for that impact and insight.

MBTI
    ISTP

I can agree with the C.S. Lewis books - they were one of the first I read. I can also say, along with those, the hobbit (my parents read it to me very young and I've never forgotten it!)... and then in grade 6-8, LOTR and Watership down became my refuge from the world... among a bunch of others, but I remember those distinctly.

And for sure, the whole Bunnicula series. We had a book fair in elementry school, and I bought the entire series for myself, instead of selling it to anyone else...

More recently, I can't say many books have influenced me... Other than the foundational books, I've read so many, they tend to just blend together. I guess I'd have to pick some of the philosophy books, or pseudo philosophy like Rand.

(Many of the books talked about here bring back memories... I had no idea how deep they ran till now... I'm kind of shocked. I remember reading A Wrinkle in Time when I was very young, and having my mom explain it to me. I remember the science magazines my grandmother used to collect, and I remember her explain them to me then too. Almost all my connections to my family seem to hover around books. Just recently, my dad dropped off a bunch of audiobooks for me... amazing I never realized it... /F)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    And for sure, the whole Bunnicula series. We had a book fair in elementry school, and I bought the entire series for myself, instead of selling it to anyone else...
    I LOVED Bunnicula.

The Celery Stalks at Midnight? Classic.

I... suppose. Yeah!

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    I LOVED Bunnicula.

The Celery Stalks at Midnight? Classic.
    I can't even explain what these books meant to me. They are single handedly responsible for me wanting being able to write. Anyone who has children should get these books... and that's something I can't say about any other book out there.

(Beware the white celery... bewarrrre. And I loved Harold... and the steak... oh yes... AHHHHHHH...... I'm going to have to get the series again now...)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I can't even explain what these books meant to me. They are single handedly responsible for me wanting being able to write. Anyone who has children should get these books... and that's something I can't say about any other book out there.

(Beware the white celery... bewarrrre. And I loved Harold... and the steak... oh yes... AHHHHHHH...... I'm going to have to get the series again now...)
    I've mentioned them to friends before, and nobody knows what I'm talking about!

I picked up the first Bunnicula book at one of those RIF (Reading Is Fun!) things that came through school... It was way better than the next year's Beverly Cleary (though I'll own up to having liked Ralph S. Mouse).

I... suppose. Yeah!