User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Default Philadelphia is a wonderful place

This story doesn't surprise me considering the track record of Philadelphia sports fans.

Cherry Hill Man Accused Of Purposely Vomiting On Young Girl At Phillies Game - cbs3.com
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Here we go again with another round of articles about the Santa Claus-pelting, injury-cheering, worse than Hitler Philly fans. Awesome. It's a good thing sports fans in other cities are never boorish.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Here we go again with another round of articles about the Santa Claus-pelting, injury-cheering, worse than Hitler Philly fans. Awesome. It's a good thing sports fans in other cities are never boorish.
    Don't forget battery throwing...

Of course there are boorish fans in every city. Philadelphia fans just take it to another level. Who the hell vomits on someone purposely?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ESFJ

Best sports fans in the United States of America, bar none.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Best sports fans in the United States of America, bar none.
    Unless you happen to be Donovan McNabb.

Johari
    /Nohari

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Yeah, never got their unhappiness with him. I mean...5 NFC champ games in a decade. Sign me up. Guess you have to be a fan though, like a whole decade of blue balls.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Unless you happen to be Donovan McNabb.
    Oh, we hate a lot of our players. In the end, it's the team and its success that matters. That's all. Personally, I always liked Donovan. He had some infuriating tendencies, but he was the best QB we've had.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTJ

Didn't read the article, but Mets fans have that effect on us.

Seriously, this was disgusting. A new low for the City of Brotherly Love.

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Oh, we hate a lot of our players. In the end, it's the team and its success that matters. That's all. Personally, I always liked Donovan. He had some infuriating tendencies, but he was the best QB we've had.
    But a lot of the players we get on actually deserve it. I'm completely mystified at the hate for McNabb and the foot in the ass he got on the way out the door from the fans. Mostly because their criticisms of him weren't quantifiable and have a tenuous (at best) correlation with actually being a good football player. They sound like things you say when you hate someone but you have no legitimate gripe. "He smiles when they're losing." "He threw up during the Super Bowl." "He's not a leader." "He's a company man." "He chokes." "We'll never win the Super Bowl with him."

People collected all their accumulated frustration at ten years of getting close but not winning and projected it on McNabb. First, this completely ignores that the team was a consistent winner for ten years, and luck has a bigger part in this than anyone cares to admit. You just have to be in the mix. Did anyone see the 2007 Giants, 2008 Cardinals or 2009 Saints coming? Second, it assumes that there is a special quality inherent in QBs that win the Super Bowl that McNabb does not possess. (Despite the fact that John Elway and Peyton Manning were likewise said to not have this "championship quality" before going out and winning. And despite the fact that Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson have rings.) Third and finally, it assumes that Kevin Kolb is Joe Montana because he had a good game against the vaunted Chiefs and piled up garbage yards in a blowout loss against the Saints (in which, incidentally, the turning point was a pick six by Kolb.)

I guess my question to all those who couldn't wait to get McNabb out the door is, "What do you want?" It doesn't make any sense to get rid of someone who keeps you in the mix every year because you're bored of watching him and you don't like his demeanor. Kolb might be great, but he might suck, too. Oh well, at least he's white.

(Yeah, I said it. McNabb is too black for the white fans and not black enough for the black fans. Just ask Bernard Hopkins.)

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ

But a lot of the players we get on actually deserve it. I'm completely mystified at the hate for McNabb and the foot in the ass he got on the way out the door from the fans. Mostly because their criticisms of him weren't quantifiable and have a tenuous (at best) correlation with actually being a good football player. They sound like things you say when you hate someone but you have no legitimate gripe. "He smiles when they're losing." "He threw up during the Super Bowl." "He's not a leader." "He's a company man." "He chokes." "We'll never win the Super Bowl with him."

People collected all their accumulated frustration at ten years of getting close but not winning and projected it on McNabb. First, this completely ignores that the team was a consistent winner for ten years, and luck has a bigger part in this than anyone cares to admit. You just have to be in the mix. Did anyone see the 2007 Giants, 2008 Cardinals or 2009 Saints coming? Second, it assumes that there is a special quality inherent in QBs that win the Super Bowl that McNabb does not possess. (Despite the fact that John Elway and Peyton Manning were likewise said to not have this "championship quality" before going out and winning. And despite the fact that Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson have rings.) Third and finally, it assumes that Kevin Kolb is Joe Montana because he had a good game against the vaunted Chiefs and piled up garbage yards in a blowout loss against the Saints (in which, incidentally, the turning point was a pick six by Kolb.)

I guess my question to all those who couldn't wait to get McNabb out the door is, "What do you want?" It doesn't make any sense to get rid of someone who keeps you in the mix every year because you're bored of watching him and you don't like his demeanor. Kolb might be great, but he might suck, too. Oh well, at least he's white.

(Yeah, I said it. McNabb is too black for the white fans and not black enough for the black fans. Just ask Bernard Hopkins.)

You'd be surprised to learn that there are a lot of fans who love McNabb and are sad to see him go. I'm one of them. If anything, I would have sent the Big Pig Andy Reid on his way and kept McNabb. It was a money move that sent him on his way. It made more sense, economically, to send him packing. So while I hate the move, I understand why it happened.

McNabb does get a bad rep here for his stands on TO, and some of the other decisions made. He is definitely a company man, and won't say or do much to cause controversy. While people consider him a sellout, he has his integrity at the end of the day. It has kept him going 11 years strong in the NFL, while those talkers and nay-sayers have faded into obscurity. A lot of the stuff he was in the middle didn't involve him directly. The media looks at QBs as leaders, so he is involved by that reason.

Just like the media focuses on those negative fans who are glad to see him go. Not the actual case though.