• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Last season of "Lost" aka WTF?!

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
Yes, Locke's father (Anthony Cooper) got killed on the island by Sawyer a few seasons ago.
Here, apparently Locke and his dad got along just fine.

###############

So it was Jacobs fault he was a douche to Locke but not Jacobs fault he was a conman or that Sawyer wanted him dead, credit Jacob for Sawyer being able to kill him in the original plot and the lack of Jacob for Sawyer never being able to get his revenge and apparently being such a shitty cop he doesn't know his intended target is long dead in the SWF...

You goofball, I can't believe you were texting me during the episode -- I was sitting there bawling, and logged in on my cell during the commercial, lol, and there you were Wall'ing me as 1, 2, 3, the Candidates dropped by half. :rofl1:

I miss Sun and Jin already.

But I told you it would be Jack.
(Go go Gadget N!)

What can I say I'm not attached to these characters at all... :popc1:

Hugo, Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Claire, who dies next? Is Desmond on "The List"?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So it was Jacobs fault he was a douche to Locke but not Jacobs fault he was a conman or that Sawyer wanted him dead, credit Jacob for Sawyer being able to kill him in the original plot and the lack of Jacob for Sawyer never being able to get his revenge and apparently being such a shitty cop he doesn't know his intended target is long dead in the SWF...

what?

You try too hard to make it all fit into a pretty box.

What can I say I'm not attached to these characters at all... :popc1:

It's okay. I don't think they were attached to you either.
(But Sun was my avatar for a bit, waaaay back.)

Hugo, Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Claire, who dies next? Is Desmond on "The List"?

...And then there were three.

I could have figured it would be those three.

This is like watching The Apprentice or RuPaul's Drag Race. I can usually pick the top few, but you never know who will bag the Prize.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
what?

You try too hard to make it all fit into a pretty box.

Stupid details, who needs 'em!

...And then there were three.

I could have figured it would be those three.

This is like watching The Apprentice or RuPaul's Drag Race. I can usually pick the top few, but you never know who will bag the Prize.

Is Desmond on or not on The List?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Stupid details, who needs 'em!
hee...

Is Desmond on or not on The List?

NOT.

I posted the remaining list last week, remember? (stupid details? Oh yeah, who needs 'em? :D)
It's even shorter now.
And Kate got cut at least 4-5 episodes ago.

The Last Six
4. Locke
8. Hugo
15. Sawyer
16. Sayid
23. Jack
42. Kwon (Sun or Jin)

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
hee...

NOT.

I posted the remaining list last week, remember? (stupid details? Oh yeah, who needs 'em? :D)
It's even shorter now.
And Kate got cut at least 4-5 episodes ago.

The Last Six
4. Locke
8. Hugo
15. Sawyer
16. Sayid
23. Jack
42. Kwon (Sun or Jin)

I'm not talking about YOUR list I'm talking about THE List. Kate is still alive last time I check... For now.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not talking about YOUR list I'm talking about THE List. Kate is still alive last time I check... For now.

?? It is the List.

It's the List that was on the Wall in the cave we saw a few episodes ago, as well as the sundial in the lighthouse.

Where all the names were crossed out. Kate was crossed out.
TMIB crossed out Locke's name as well.

The only alterations I've made to the last five names left were based on last night's deaths, that the writers have verified as deaths in interviews to show that the show was "ruthless" and unwilling to save characters if the story dictated their deaths.

I also point you to Sayid's comments last night, the very last thing he said:

Sayid goes to Jack and says, "Listen carefully. There's a well on the main island a half mile south of the camp we just left. Desmond's inside it. Locke wants him dead, which means that you're going to need him. Do you understand me?"

"And why are you telling me this?" Jack asks.

"Because it's going to be you, Jack." Sayid grabs the bomb and runs out <and dies>.

There's a reason the episode, out of all it could be called, was called "The Candidate."
Singular.

So what list do YOU have that doesn't match the show's list?
You're just going by who is alive?

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
Ok. Kate's crossed of the list. Is Desmond on the list to begin with was my question.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok. Kate's crossed of the list. Is Desmond on the list to begin with was my question.

I think all the characters were somewhere in the list(s) we have seen.

But we only got glimpses of all the names -- shots of the sundial as it was turned, and scattered shots from different angles of the walls and ceiling of the cave, with name after name (assigned to numbers) crossed out.

Check here for examples.
LOST – More Names, More Candidates

EDIT: Ah, here is a big listing!
LOST is a Game - Candidates
The list is not completely up to date for last night's episode yet.

Note: Kate is crossed off in Cave but not in the Lighthouse. Not sure what that means.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Wow have you ever looked at that website (LOST is a game) before, Jennifer?

When I stopped watching the show, I lost interest in any theories etc. but had never encountered this one. If it's true, then all the crazy stuff could / would make sense, wouldn't it?

Hmmmm.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was just skimming through it for about 15 minutes.

My main two thoughts:
1. Wow, that's sort of intriguing.
2. Man, this guy has way too much time on his hands!

I see a lot of fudgework in spots, but with only three episodes to go, I'm curious to see how his ideas match up with the ending. I would agree that there is a "game" going on, but it's hard to determine yet if it is as formalized as he suggests, or if it is more standard "game theory" in nature in regards to how people relate to each other rationally to achieve success for themselves.

I would think it was quirky, but the numbers and the weird symbols from the Hatch computer and other odd unexplained symbolic elements can easily suggest a game of some sort.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
As for too much time on his hands - yes, he admits as much on the site!

I mean, you have a theory, and you take the subsequent data and try to make it fit the theory ... that's the real question. Since he came up with his theory about what LOST is in 2006, is all the rest just trying to make everything that has happened since "fit"?

If the guy is right, hats off to him.

Edit: thinking about that, it would give the writers so much latitude, so much opportunity to set / reset, recompile ... what a dream, you don't have to follow the rules when the rules are more widely spaced than just the parameters of reality.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Too busy crying to watch next weeks previews?

There were games in the previews... but nothing I hadn't seen before.

As I said, a "game" is obvious; but I've seen the same motifs used in countless movies without it being taken to a manufactured level of detail as this person does. It's a bit contrived. The devil is in the details, not the overview, of next week's episode.

...Edit: thinking about that, it would give the writers so much latitude, so much opportunity to set / reset, recompile ... what a dream, you don't have to follow the rules when the rules are more widely spaced than just the parameters of reality.

I'm more bothered by how, if you try to trivialize it too much into a game, the audience feels cheated emotionally. This is why "it was only a dream" endings really get some backlash.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I agree. Strangely, in a way though, that would enable me to forgive the writers for the very thing that made me stop watching in the first place ... how they yanked the characters around.

But it better be a FANTASTIC ending if that's the way it plays out. Or yes, you would feel cheated. Like, the camera pans out, and this little kid turns off the computer (ha let's say it's Walt) and the scene fades out to black ... "Yay mom, I beat the video game!"

Or like Trelaine in Star Trek ...

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqQa1Xhu9cQ"]Trelaine has been a bad boy ...[/YOUTUBE]

Mommy, I don't want to go home, I still want to play with my toys!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'll be so pissed if this dude's "it was all a video game" idea is true.

I think he's taking things a mite literally.. all the game motifs & imagery.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll be so pissed if this dude's "it was all a video game" idea is true.

Yes, I feel it cheapens it.

I'm not under the impression Abrams would approach it that way, either. He tries to "play fair," it's one reason I enjoy his work. But we shall see.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Just chatting with my daughter - she reminded me, "Remember when you stopped watching ... you were mad and said - this is just a game to these writers!"

There's more compelling evidence to add, supporting the theory, right there! :D

And the more I reflect on the concept, it is pretty genius. You're in a game but you don't know it. Classic god-scenario. Usually the audience gets clued in sometime along the way though, or else it is just a cheap plot device.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just chatting with my daughter - she reminded me, "Remember when you stopped watching ... you were mad and said - this is just a game to these writers!'

lol, oops, she has you there. Kids... they do not let ANYTHING slip!

There's more compelling evidence to add, supporting the theory, right there! :D

ANd the more I reflect on the concept, it is pretty genius. You're in a game but you don't know it. Classic god-scenario.

It's just funny, because based on what I know of you (and the whole INFP thing), wouldn't you feel indignant if your life was just a game someone else was playing? Or isn't it a big deal, just because you know ahead of time it's not real, it's just a story anyway?

(Serious question, it's fascinating to see the respnses. :) )

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
If I watched LOST the WHOLE time, I would be SO MAD unless the ending was just fabulous - orgasmically and cosmically life-altering.

Pull the "life is just a game" card, at the end? Oooooh I'd be steaming!

That being said, if I was let in on the story a bit at a time, suspected an organized plot behind the seemingly random elements, I'd be more willing to go along. The disconnect for me was the people - people have rules too, and the writers (to me) were just playing with them and messing with their consistencies for no apparent reason (that I could see.) So, to connect emotionally with them, then see them suffer / die / change etc. seemingly at another's whim ... frustrating.

Now, if this guy's theory is true, and the character's reset to good or bad, or color to good or bad (like Fable) that explains the part I liked the least. So, that would at least make me happy there was some reason behind the madness.

And yes, if my whole life existed only for the purpose of someone else's entertainment, that I felt real pain and experienced difficulties for no other more substantial reason than being the puppet to another's amusement, it would seem black and hollow and empty ... :cry:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If I watched LOST the WHOLE time, I would be SO MAD unless the ending was just fabulous - orgasmically and cosmically life-altering.

Ugh. Well, I'm not expecting THAT much.
...And any orgasmic tremors are pure icing.

...Now, if this guy's theory is true, and the character's reset to good or bad, or color to good or bad (like Fable) that explains the part I liked the least. So, that would at least make me happy there was some reason behind the madness.

That makes sense now. Thank you for explaining. :)

And yes, if my whole life existed only for the purpose of someone else's entertainment, that I felt real pain and experienced difficulties for no other more substantial reason than being the puppet to another's amusement, it would seem black and hollow and empty ... :cry:

It doesn't matter if it's true.
I'm still going to win. :devil:

(srsly, tho, yes... it would seem like such a waste. But now we are venturing into areas of religion and faith...)